on 22 December 2012
I love the sound of guitars (classic, rock, blues, etc.) but sadly I have the playing ability of a dead haddock (although frankly a dead haddock slapped randomly against a box of out-of-tune ukuleles probably sounds better than me) and my knowledge of guitar technology extends to being vaguely available to tell the difference between a regular and bass guitar, based mainly on the number of wirey things.

Despite this limit on my ability to actually comprehend some of the more technical bits, "The Guitar Geek Dossier" is a great read. Charles Shaar Murray obviously knows his stuff inside out, upside down, and back to front, and he brings the same relaxed, conversational but educational, style from his NME and other work to this well-thought-out collection. I look forward to more.

I was going to compare the writing in this book to a [insert name of magnificent guitar] in the hands of [insert name of virtuoso player of said magnificent axe] but in the light of the first paragraph above, that would be silly.

Buy this book and plan to buy the dead-tree version if it comes out too - for goodness' sake, it's only a couple of quid, and worth far more.
on 1 July 2014
I regarded Mr Murry as a very honest author, but not a funny one, till now!. A good little book that i got on Kindle for a couple of quid, for a holiday read, and found myself both laughing out loud and nodding in agreement at the same time. A lot of guitarists will see themselves portrayed here, with most of this book in a 'been there, done it' sort of way. A good read, unless you're a drummer!
on 19 December 2012
I've been reading CSM since I was an NME junkie early in the 70s and here he's as good as ever. He's good as a critic of stuff he's not so bothered about (his review of "Blow by Blow" I can probably recite from memory) but he's great when he writes about stuff he loves. Since we seem to like the same things (the blues, Jimi Hendrix, guitars...) I always hit Buy when a new work comes out. I've already finished this and loved it, and wish I could now lend it to people. Darn Kindle". I'm off to listen to my Blast Furnace singles. You should be paying less than a pint for some top writing about guitars.
on 9 March 2013
For anyone with an interest in guitars this is a fun book. I didn't read the articles in the magazine they came from, possibly because I play drums rather than guitar! Charles Shaar Murray is a good writer with a dry style, and is particularly self-deprecating over some of the less good decisions he has made. Recommended.
on 6 August 2013
I have often read CSMs column in Guitar magazine and this was an interesting compilation of his musings on being a guitarist and that constant itch we guitarist always feel to buy just one more guitar
on 2 June 2013
Then you will love this book. Every chapter is well written and interesting, in a geeky way. Recommended for guitarists only :-)
on 11 March 2013
This is exactly what it says on the tin. If you have bought a guitar and been in a band there is something for you here.
on 10 August 2013
Some of the tech detail was a little over my head, but a thoroughly entertaining read nonetheless. Nice one Charlie!
on 3 March 2014
Over the decades I have enjoyed Charles's articles and his pieces on high profile music acts/artists.....makes you really jealous who he has had the pleasure of meeting! This little number lets you into his humorous world of buying ...losing guitars. A good read by a well versed music critic/author. An enjoyable read.
on 21 September 2013
This is a great collection of articles. They show how much a 'guitar geek' Murray is.
He writes really well and with depth and feeling which portray his real love not only for guitars but for music in general.

All musicians and music lovers should appreciate this collection.