4.0 out of 5 stars A Letter for Maureen
This is the second Maureen book. This time Maureen is at home and at the book club meetings at the local library.

Published 22 months ago by Joo

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
I found this book disappointing and a bit silly it certainly wasnt what i expected. Bit sorry because i have a couple more and not really looking forwaed to reading them
Published 8 months ago by Janet Coley

4.0 out of 5 stars A Letter for Maureen, 5 Mar 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)

I found this a much more satisfying story than Maureen goes to Venice. In the early book, Maureen is just clumsy and somewhat obnoxious. This story gives her a lot more heart. Even though she is the one person you don't want to spend too much time with, she only wants to do what is right and kind.

I loved the bit where she visits the `care home'. I could really picture the scene. I thought that was superb scene setting and writing.

As for the `letter' of the title. Gulp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than her first adventure!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Maureen's 2nd book more than the first. The comedic moments had me laughing out loud; the serious moments were handled with care and sensitivity. I realised while reading that I actually care about Maureen's character and I can't wait to see what she gets up to next!

5.0 out of 5 stars A National Treasure, 18 April 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
Having read Maureen's other two adventures it felt very much like catching up with an old friend again.
For me, Maureen has always been about comedy and there are certainly a plethora of comic moments within the story. The whole theatre experience, including the pre performance meal and its consequences were the highlight for me and gave me a good laugh. The author is very adept at adding little nuggets of comedy in just the right places to bring about a laugh. - "My eye!" are only two words but used in this context (read it and see for yourself) are an example of comic timing and you can almost see the fallout from it.

The story is also full of emotion and which is incredibly well written. The author has combined both comedy and drama perfectly which is not easy. As a result I feel that Maureen has become even more three dimensional, if at all possible. She may indeed occupy a dimension all to herself and actually probably should!

I really enjoyed this story and if anything was better that Maureen goes to Venice. I could quite easily see this as a television play or on the stage. Very, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful adventure, 12 April 2013
A Letter for Maureen

Another wonderful adventure about Maureen from Jonathan Hill!

I particularly enjoyed the account of the Library Book Club meeting, chaired by the indomitable Maureen. We meet Nigel the librarian, desperate to catch people breaking the rules, Winston the book club bore (don't they all have one?), and a suspiciously familiar young man with red hair who spends his time observing Maureen and taking copious notes. During the meeting Maureen tries to pass off shop mince pies as her own baking and the earlier scene where she is compared to Nigella Lawson as she attempts to bake in her own kitchen at home is absolutely priceless.

The transition to a darker mood towards the end is skilfully handled and every reader will surely feel the same hope that Maureen will bounce back and be ready to face the world again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, 13 May 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this bittersweet comedy. It had me laughing out loud several times. I have become fond of Maureen since reading about her in Maureen goes to Venice. This is written in a witty and funny manner, but there is also a surprise twist to this tale which adds depth to the story. Maureen is not just a comic character but one that I have come to feel a great deal of sympathy and affection for.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read, 10 Feb 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
This is the second Maureen novella that I have read, and I am quickly turning into a huge Maureen fan! She is a walking disaster area who seems to attract trouble like a magnet, yet at the same time has a heart of gold. This extremely well written, easy to read novella has some very funny moments in it; my personal favourite being "trying to cook in time with Jamie Oliver". How many times have we all watched a TV chef, knowing that it is impossible for the average person to do a "Jamie meal in 15 minutes"? The author has obviously had that same thought and brought it into this story with fantastic results.

Not just a comedy, the book also shows Maureen's huge heart and how she would do anything to help someone. It shows her vulnerability and loneliness as well, with an ending that is really quite sad. Like other people, I also hope for more of Maureen but I would like to see her finding love, as well, of course, as more "Miranda Hart/Hyacinth Bouquet" moments!

4.0 out of 5 stars Maureen does not fail to entertain!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
Jonathan Hill in the form of Maureen does not fail to entertain. In this third encounter with the ever calamity prone Maureen, her softer, more human side comes through and once again we are laughing with her rather more than at her. The first scene in the nursing home is a gem.
The end is an interesting, sobering twist.
Enjoyable, fun, cringe worthy. Although I still hanker slightly for the less sensitive Maureen from the first encounter, I'll always happily read more of her adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great short, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
I just love the character Jonathan has created here.This is Maureens 2nd outing & not to be missed. At todays current price of 77p I bet you couldn't even buy a cupcake for that!!

We see a softer side to Maureen in this one, but she's still up to her tricks and gives us plenty of laughs.

Well done Jonathan,on another excellent Maureen short.

Maybe a full length next time?

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving, 24 Feb 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
This was far from my usual type of read and I like it when I come across something excellent that I wouldn't normally read. Like most good comedies the story contains some bittersweet moments.

Maureen is a bumbling character, a comedic character to begin with, but by the end she had matured greatly. Funny and moving this is a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and fun, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Letter for Maureen (Kindle Edition)
This book had me laughing out loud. It was a delight to read. I can recommend this book to all, it's brilliant and fun.

What a character Maureen and so life like - I hope to be reading more about her soon.

A Letter for Maureen