5.0 out of 5 stars A magical Native American story packed with supernatural ambience and heartwarming poignancy., 2 May 2013
This review is from: Shadow of Time (Paperback)
An exquisite paranormal romance wherein the central focus is actually about friendship and loyalty rather than just irrevocable, impassioned love. The customs and unique culture is well-researched and beautifully detailed adding to the story's authentic feel. The writing is compelling, touching and deeply beguiling professing the author's uniquely identifiable style and accomplished ability with putting thoughts into words. What caught my attention/ fascination was the unmistakable love triangle between Hannah, Josh and Ben that I felt was slightly reminiscent of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga (Edward, Bella and Jacob) for it really tugged at the heartstrings and drew me into the story.

`Shadow of Time' begins with Hannah after her year of teaching French at a high school and when she joins her brother Ben for the summer in their mom's log cabin in Arizona. There she encounters Ben's childhood friend, Josh, who has grown up into quite a young man. She soon is torn between friendship and a more intense connection with Josh, with feelings seeping out from her inner core. Whether it is either providence or fate she is tormented by restlessness and demons from the dark, awaking in her soul and coming alive at night. She is plagued by nightmares about the past of Navajo Nation and about terrifying shadows which are hunting her. Josh is also forever present both within her dreams and every single waking hour ~ it is all so mysterious as secrets start to unravel.

I found this intriguing tale so very interesting to read, and I absolutely loved how Jen Minkman combined myth and legend, with a sprinkling of magic and historical depth. The history of the people makes the magic and mystical elements of this story even more `real' and it also adds emphasis to the main character's chosen path and journey along it. I felt an intimate connection with this book as I not only could empathize and relate to various events and characters, but look upon Hannah's life's path and compare it to our own lives...which are as ever changeable as the daily weather.

Ultimately satisfying, profoundly meaningful and fulfilling this sensational read is something that I would highly recommend to all who love thrilling suspense and dazzling mystery. When we examine our current situation and explore various paths ahead for our future, we must also turn to the past for answers and sometimes even guidance ~ even if it is so that we can move forwards. This is a wonderful spellbinding read of intense multi-layered significance and great magnitude.

*I won a paperback copy of "Shadow of Time" by Jen Minkman through a Goodreads, first-read giveaway*

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll cry, you'll smile, you'll love this book!, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Shadow of Time - Book 1: (Paranormal Romance) (Kindle Edition)
Disclaimer: Jen Minkman is an online acquaintance of mine; she reviewed my first book last year.

Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it: SHADOW OF TIME is my favorite paranormal romance ever! What did I like so much about it? Its seriousness.

I don't mean to make SHADOW OF TIME sound like a bore. It's not in the least. It's an involving, well written story with characters I cared about and rooted for at every turn. It's exciting, with threads of mystery and action/adventure underlying the romance in a stimulating way. It's also movingly sweet and tender. And the paranormal elements are c-r-e-e-p-y!

No, by "serious" I mean that the book carefully situates its romance plot in Native American history so as to make the characters' future matter not just to them and their friends/families, but in a bigger way.

When I first realized SHADOW OF TIME's hero and heroine were a Native American man and a white American woman, I was a little worried. I'm not a fan of Native American romance as a subgenre. (Not aware that there is such a subgenre? Oh yes, there very much is. Google it and check out the hundreds of books Goodreads-shelved as "Native American romance.") Here's Sherman Alexie lampooning the subgenre:

"I was a little Spokane Indian boy who read every book and saw every movie about Indians, no matter how terrible.

"I'd read those historical romance novels about the steroidal Indian warrior ravaging the virginal white schoolteacher.

"I can still see the cover art.

"The handsome, blue-eyed warrior (the Indians in romance novels are always blue-eyed because half-breeds are somehow sexier than full-blooded Indians) would be nuzzling (the Indians in romance novels are always performing acts that are described in animalistic terms) the impossibly pale neck of a white woman as she reared her head back in primitive ecstasy (the Indians in romance novels always inspire white women to commit acts of primitive ecstasy)." (quoted from the essay "I Hated Tonto (Still Do)," which is available on the LA TIMES website)

That pretty much says it all. So, I thought, is SHADOW OF TIME going to be one of these? That would suck.

Well, it's not. Not in the least. I don't want to go into too many details, because they'd be spoilers, but I will say this much: Minkman has done her research. Serious, in-depth research into Navajo language, mythology, place, and history. The romance she's crafted is inextricably woven through with the tragedy, bravery, resistance, survival, and present-day life of the Navajo people. The Native Americans in SHADOW OF TIME are not exoticized. They're normal people trying to lead normal lives in the complicated junction where Native American culture meets the steamrolling force of white America.

That's what I mean by "serious." This is a book that combines the joyful escapism of the romance plot with some serious historical heft. It's satisfying on multiple levels at once. What a treat. I loved it.

Needless to say, I highly recommend this book. It's appropriate for adults and young adults, including (I think) readers on the younger end of the young-adult spectrum.

The author sent me an advance review copy of this book in exchange for an impartial review. This review is cross-posted from The Active Voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadow Of Time by Jen Minkman, 14 Aug 2013
I was torn between giving this book a 3 or 4 star. The reason for this is because I thought the beginning of the story was too drawn out and got a bit tedious. However, once the story actually got going, and I understood where it was going, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved to hear about the Navajo nation and their customs etc and would love to learn more.

A very enjoyable read all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, It's Awesome, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Shadow of Time (Paperback)
How Minkman created this is utterly beyond me. I must admit that I do have an online aquintanceship with her, and I got this book in exchange for an HONEST REVIEW. I believe she speaks English as a second language but wrote this in English. I can't even begin to imagine how awesome her writing is in Dutch, which is her native tongue. I'll be following her career from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 28 Oct 2013
Helen (SALFORD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow of Time (Paperback)
and the author gives great customer service ;)

(I won a copy elsewhere but my kindle refused to load the file so she gifted me a copy here instead. Got back to me 5x faster than Amazon's support did. :D)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 15 May 2013
This kindle book is great for those long journeys. Its easy, emotional and funny. I laughed out loud to from the conversations between Hannah and Emily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever read., 16 April 2013
Very clever read. I wantedh to find out as much as possible about the history in the book. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars whatta book, 9 May 2013
This book is up there in the must read selection. To say that I really, really enjoyed it is an understatement. Only negative thing is that I cant find any other books written by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of Time Review, 25 Mar 2013
I was given the book in exchange for my honest opinion and review.
The book is descriptive and rich in the Native American history. I loved Hannah and being able to see into her mind. I went through stages with Josh, sometimes I wanted to smack him and say, "What are you doing?" and other times he would redeem himself seeing what an idiot he was being with Hannah. When Hannah and Josh were together I would forget he was 17 and not older, Hannah seemed to have the same problem too. It did feel like it took a long time to get to the explanation of why they were in the situation they were in and who they all were to each other. I had an inkling with Hannah, it was interesting when Ben was revealed, I didn't see that coming. The part I could give or take was the visit to the past lives, but it does explain Native American history and what they went through in Josh's eyes, perfect for those who love to read history. This was a neat reincarnation story immersed in Native American culture. The message in the end was fitting and a learning experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant look at Native American history as well as a great story, 23 Dec 2012
MY REVIEW
I was given this book in exchange for my honest opinion and review.
The cover makes a lot of sense when you read the book as it is a scene from within the book. I tend to favour covers that are a scene from the book as you know your minds eye is on the same wavelength of the Authors imagery. The cover depicts Hannah and Josh, or maybe even Josh and his wife in a former life in a Navajo cave.
The book is well written and descriptive in such a good way you can see the places Jan is describing.
I love all the characters, Hannah, Josh and Ben. I really loved how the former lives were brought into the story and we eventually find out about Hannah and Ben too. I admit i had guessed who Hannah was etc but the twist with who Ben is/was is really great and though you are given hints they are very subtle. I wasn't so keen on Emily as I felt a slight undercurrent that perhaps she was somewhat jealous of Hannah and Josh's relationship.
Maybe it was just me that read Emily that way.
Some of my review probably sounds a little confusing but, it will, I promise make sense when you read the book, and you really should.
The only part of the book I wasn't as enamored with was near the end, the rituals and descriptions of past lives seemed a little off, in that I was so interested in them, but didn't get the detail where I wanted it. The scenery was a little overly described and I would have preferred a bit more emotional description. I really loved the fact the author went into history of Josh's people and to be honest would have loved and definitely read a book just on that and Josh's tribes traditions etc. Perhaps others would find the detail long winded, but it was telling us about a complicated time in history. I would have loved a little more, delivered in the way most of the book was written, as though Josh is telling us the traditions/rituals. I don't quite know how to put it into words, I really enjoyed the book but, I feel it could have been even better. I hope that makes sense. I would have loved to have seen "The Long Walk" through Josh's eyes.
I felt the book ended quite well, though I though perhaps Josh and Hannah would have taken more time and had more discussions over planning when they were next to meet up. All the jigsaw pieces as such had been put together, so will there be a book 2? I am not sure, as the "bad guys" were dispensed with at the end of this book.
Did I enjoy the book? Yes, I did. Would I recommend the book? Yes especially if you love Native American history too. Though you don't require any previous knowledge of the era is not needed to enjoy the book. Would I read a Bk#2? I think I would, yes. Would I read more by Jen Minkman? Yes!