4.5 out of 5 stars1,408

on 9 April 2013
I read a review on this book and being a fan of vampires thought I'd give it a go. I WASNT DISAPPOINTED.

I was hooked from the first page and read in one sitting, couldn't put it down, I sat in bed in the dark reading and was gutted when I got to the end. So I had to download the next one- its been a long night.

I loved Sofia and Derek's Story.
I loved the difference from other vampire stories, the way they were Abducting the humans and taking them to the Shade. I hated Lucas. and don't think I'll like Derek's father although I've not read about him yet just little remarks. From the start I couldn't predict where the story would go - it wasn't obvious.

I think the pace was just right. The descriptions were really good I could imagine the scenes and settings everything was vivid. There was a few movie moments in there for me( were the pace gets a bit too much and you have to go for a walk or three)

I loved Vivienne and Cora. I loved the instant attraction between Sofia and Derek even if its taking her a while to realise. I'm not going to give any spoilers it will ruin it.

If you like vampires you need to read this, but stick a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN ON THE DOOR
on 16 December 2012
I'm a sucker for vampire romance novels, I've read almost everything available on the market, Twilight, Vampire Diaries, etc. you name it. I'm a sucker for vamps.
This was a book my friend recommended to me so I clicked the buy now button.

Best decision. Ever.

Here's what I loved:

As soon as I'd read the first few pages, I was glued. Hours passed and I did not realise it, I was totally gripped by this love story.
The romance between Derek and Sofia took hold of my emotions and made me feel lost in their world.
The characters are genuinely adorable and they make you become so involved with them.
The plot is thrilling and there's a lot of suspense. A perfect mix between romance and adventure/excitement.

What I didn't love:

Like other reviewers have said: Should have lasted longer. I didn't want it to end.

In short - if you're like me and want a love story that will haunt you and stay swirling in your mind after you've finished it, buy this book.
I recommend this book from my heart, and can't wait to read book two.
on 5 April 2014
Vampire stories are not generally my thing. However, this book was recommended by someone who's opinion I trust, so I got a copy. I'm so glad I did. I tend not to do a book synopsis, as a books blurb explains the basic story; as do other reviewers. I like to give my own personal opinion, and in the case of this book...SUPERB!
The book is written in first person, which took me a while to get into. But once I did, I was on a roll.
The author also separated the two main characters, Sofia and Derek into separate chapters, which enables the reader to see each point of view, and get a greater insight into their thoughts.
For me, Sofia the main character had the right mix of vulnerability and strength. While Derek, was gorgeous, even though he was a vampire. I liked the fact he tried to hold on to his humanity.
As this is book one of a series, I did feel their relationship moved a little fast, and could have been developed more slowly in the ensuing books. Also it did end a little abruptly, but it seems the next book in the series is way longer.
This is not a genre I would normally bother to read. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it,which is a credit to Bella Forrest's writing; especially as this is her debut novel.
This book was clean, exciting and fast moving. I look forward to trying the next book in the series.
on 28 July 2014
A good read (took me two hours start to finish) well written. Loved the alternating chapters between the characters POV.
However it's very much a twilight style book which I feel is aimed more for the teenage/ young adult reader. I will keep an eye out for the author's future work as I did like the style of writing but there just wasn't enough action for me in this story.
I feel this book could have been twice as long with more depth to the characters and their relationship.
on 14 June 2014
This book didn't agree with me at all. It only took a day to read but even that felt like it dragged. Much much better books out there in this genre and I have a feeling that if most of these positive reviewers had tried better books in this genre they wouldn't have rated it as highly! Try it if you must, but be warned, the best thing about it is the rather lovely book cover!
on 16 March 2014
I was given this book to read for an honest review. I love paranormal stories and romances so was happily impressed at how unlike the normal vampire love story this was. It's nothing like Twilight, (which I love), as decreed in other reviews I have read and I haven't come across any other stories with this sort of vampire world. I found myself a bit unsettled as to how they capture their slaves and how they treat them. It was also a little strange to see vampires with Harems in a modern world but regardless this book had me gripped and I find myself falling for Derek Novak as a new vampire hottie. His reasons for his life's decisions and what causes him to give Sofia his total attention made me feel warm and fuzzy. I love their interactions and how she sets about teaching him what he missed over 400 years. You have the usual badass who needs to inflate his ego by doing sadistic things in Lucas but there are also other vampire characters which begin to bring the story to life alongside the lead characters. The ending was a great place to stop for the next book to start. I will defiantly continue this series and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates a great supernatural story, with a new twist, but a beautiful love story developing as you read.
on 26 April 2015

This appears to be the first in a series of books about The Shade, a mystical island inhabited by vampires.  Sofia, a heroine with issues, and her best friend Ben are taken to the Island unbeknown to the other and begin to find the vast differences between the vampires of The Shade.

This book is very short so you only begin to get a feel for the characters, im not sure why in many books the female lead has to have issues of some sort, i expect we will find out more about Sofia's as the series unfolds although i am warming to Sofia and her vampire master Derek as the book goes on.

There isn't a huge story line to grab me so far i don't feel i know all the characters at the moment i did sit and read the book in one sitting more of curiosity at what happens to Sofia than being gripped by the plot.

The book ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger in that i wanted to beginning the second one immediately.

I think in summary this is not as good a tale as many i have read but its not a bad read either its really a taster book and i think the series probably has potential but it just doesn't have my heart yet.

To see more of my review go to mrspliterarylowdown.wordpress.com
on 4 June 2014
Buying this was a waste of 77p. This book is just a short story vampire teaser, leaving you kind of hanging to make you buy the full length book, only as it's not very good that doesn't work. A cheap knock off of Twilight, trying to cash in on the current teen vampire success.Don't waste your time or money
on 11 May 2013
A very quick read. It seemed to me that this was a poor imitation of the 'Twilight' books. Innocent girl gets dragged off to vampire central and catches the eye of the most powerful vampire there. The characters were under-developed and therefore I found it hard to care about any of them.
on 2 September 2013
On her seventeenth birthday Sofia Claremont is kidnapped on a beach by a stranger and he holds her prisoner in a place they call The Shade. The stranger turns out to be a wicked vampire called Lucas and Sofia finds herself in a vampire's lair.

Derek Novak is a five hundred year old vampire, who is now awake after sleeping for the last few centuries. He still seems to have some human emotions and develops feelings for Sofia although she is made his personal slave; he treats her with respect and is gentle around her.

When Ben, Sofia's best friend who she had started to develop feelings for turns up and Derek sees that Sofia has feelings for him will his dark vampire side come out and put them both in danger?

I think with the huge success of Twilight writing a vampire love story must be very difficult at this time, without stories looking like cheap copies or trying to jump on the bandwagon of a phenomenal winning formula. But I think that this book could make it as it is so incredibly well written and it is an interesting book to read. I do like to get my teeth into a good vampire novel and I would like to go on and read the other books in the series.