5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
Vampire stories are not generally my thing. However, this book was recommended by someone who's opinion I trust, so I got a copy. I'm so glad I did. I tend not to do a book synopsis, as a books blurb explains the basic story; as do other reviewers. I like to give my own personal opinion, and in the case of this book...SUPERB!
The book is written in first person,...
Published 13 months ago by Yvonne Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear.....
Amateurish and not very well written. Plot has (had?) possibilities but wasted in the almost childish writing style. I'm out.
Published 18 months ago by 2smiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 April 2014
Yvonne Lee (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Shade of Vampire (New & Lengthened 2015 Edition) (Kindle Edition)
The book is written in first person, which took me a while to get into. But once I did, I was on a roll.
The author also separated the two main characters, Sofia and Derek into separate chapters, which enables the reader to see each point of view, and get a greater insight into their thoughts.
For me, Sofia the main character had the right mix of vulnerability and strength. While Derek, was gorgeous, even though he was a vampire. I liked the fact he tried to hold on to his humanity.
As this is book one of a series, I did feel their relationship moved a little fast, and could have been developed more slowly in the ensuing books. Also it did end a little abruptly, but it seems the next book in the series is way longer.
This is not a genre I would normally bother to read. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it,which is a credit to Bella Forrest's writing; especially as this is her debut novel.
This book was clean, exciting and fast moving. I look forward to trying the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! =), 15 Sept. 2013
Sofia is taken from the beach on her seventeenth birthday by a vampire called Lucas. Sofia is taken to an island that houses the biggest vampire coven. She is chosen out of hundreds to join the prince, Derek’s harem.

Holy Moses, I completely loved A Shade of Vampire. The plot was amazing and different to anything I’ve read in the past. Forrest is a genius, her writing style left me speechless and she had me sucked in from the start.

Sofia didn’t leave a good impression at first, at least not for me but she soon grew on me. Especially her stunt once introduced to Derek with Gwen. She’s been through a lot but still keeps her strength and her determination to escape gave me high hopes for her.

Derek Novak was completely different than I expected! I thought I’d hate him and he’d be a heartless monster, pretty much like Lucas, his brother but he wasn’t like that at all. He wasn’t an arrogant jerk but a man trying to do what’s right.

The Shade was a thing of beauty, the pavilion, my god in my head it looked completely brilliant! Imagine a network of houses all built in the trees, spectacular. And the safety measures in place to keep the vampires protected from the world outside was awesome!

Overall I completely loved A Shade of Vampire and I’m eager to read the next book in the series, A Shade of Blood. I’d really recommend reading this if you a paranormal/vampire fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't sure at first, 5 Nov. 2013
I downloaded this book only because it was advertised on Facebook and I had just finished reading a book and didn't know what to read next.
I found my self lost in this world and didn't want to put the book down, if you like this type of book than please read this book and hopefully you will get lost too. I'm just about to download the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shade of Vampire - A Potential Treat for the New Year, 26 Dec. 2012
The current trend on vampire books leaves a lot to be desired, with so many being pumped out that eventually, there is no real content, just re-writes of other pieces. This book WAS NOT one of those books.

The characters were given depth and charisma, the romance given depth and there is the possibility for sequels without going over the top. This book has everything I could have wanted from a vampire novel - suspense, fear, romance and an element of uncertainty at how things will turn out for both Sofia and the Novaks.

Five out of five!

5.0 out of 5 stars a shade of vampire, 8 July 2013
This book is definitely a recommended read! Had me gripped start to end . I think it balanced the right amount of love interest with action and can't. Wait to see what transpires between the brothers and Sofia ! Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Definitely one of the best vampire books I've read in a while !!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 150 Pages of Awesomeness!, 6 Mar. 2013
There's no simple was to put this except to say that I loved this book, it's 150 pages of awesomeness that I couldn't put down and devoured in 2 hours and now I want more. The synopsis says it all as we meet Sofia on the eve of her 17th birthday, wandering the beach after having her heartbroken by seeing her best friend & crush in the arms of another woman - but that's not the worst of it - she has been followed and after a strange meeting with a pale stranger, is kidnapped.
She awakens, chained in a dungeon only to find out that she is meant to be part of a harem for a very important person and has no option but to accept that fate.....for now. The VIP turns out to be Derek Novak, Dark Vampire Prince of the perpetually dark island they are inhabiting and he has just awoken from a very long sleep to hopefully fulfil a prophecy and become his peoples saviour - so where does Sofia fit in? Well, the thing is.... When Derek & Sofia meet, there is a connection and as always, that connection is going to set off a chain of events that could shape - not only their own - but everyone around the pairs, futures.
So, yes, I loved this! I'm usually a bit harder on short stories because there isn't usually enough space to put a lot of depth into the characters and a lot of the story is basic but let me tell you, I was not disappointed in any way by this. I was immediately pulled into the story, I loved the set up - it started with a sorrowful moment where our heroine lamented about having no one, her crush/boyfriend just broke her heart, we get a feel for who she is, her troubles & insecurities which I connected with straight away and then we are spirited off to a new domain that has a slightly `olde' worldly feel to it. In the world of the vampires, they have a different caste system and regularly take humans from the main land as slaves or pets, which is how our MC finds herself there. The person who she is meant for is has been in a self- imposed sleep for a long time because he had become disillusioned with his life as a vampire and all the pressure of being a leader, he had expected not to wake up but when he meets Sofia he awakens in a different way and its lovely to watch unfold. I like how Sofia sort of unravels him and gets under his skin so I was really invested in their relationship. I liked the world the vampires had created for themselves, I liked what they were ultimately trying to do with this world but they did seem a bit old fashioned in their ways which is understandable considering they've practically cut themselves off from the humans and only see them as slaves or food. With Dereks old valued ways & Sofia's moderness they are definitely going to clash but the way they came together was slow & sweet and you can feel the beginnings of a really special relationship being formed that I'm very excited about especially when it seems they're both players in some sort of prophecy which I just love. I loved the threat also in this, it felt very real and very sinister and very fitting for the first book. I thought this was a brilliant introduction to the world of--------- and im really curious to see where it all goes, it seems we have a few players placed on the board, our main characters are ready to become something great, we have enemies waiting in the wings to come into play, we have a possible love triangle and what seems to be a fated kind of love wrapped up in a big prophecy - what more could you want? What I want though, is more ! 4.5*s

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear....., 1 Nov. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars A Shade of Vampire, 21 Mar. 2015
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I kept seeing A Shade of Vampire around the Internet and bought a 77p Kindle copy a while ago. I read it recently at the insistence of my friend who's making her way through the series, and I was pleasantly surprised by this short, vampiric novel that I admittedly had low expectations of. Bella Forrest, while not necessarily doing anything radically new or different, managed to capture my attention within the first couple of chapters.

The Shade is a vampire sanctuary of sorts where there's never any sunlight, and seventeen-year-old Sofia Claremont finds herself there against her will. Not long after, Derek, a powerful five-hundred-year-old vampire prince, is awakened from his sleep and first claps eyes on Sofia not long after. So begins an all-comsuming romance, but not a lovey-dovey one, rather one filled with danger and blood.

I enjoyed this book, even though it's short and a bit rushed. There's not quite enough time to fully immerse the reader in the story - well, there wasn't for me - but something about it has made me want to continue with the series. I'll read anything featuring vampire, and A Shade of Vampire definitely has some interesting ideas that I'd like to see explored further.

I'm usually put off my books that aren't traditionally published by well-known houses, but I'm glad I put that aside and gave this one a go. It's well-written and edited professionally, with hardly any typos or mistakes. The story is fast-paced, the characters are intriguing (I even got used to a vampire being called Derek) and I have a feeling that future, longer books in the series will have a lot more to offer. An entertaining read that has a lot of potential - and for the price, it's quite a bargain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacklustre, 6 Oct. 2013
I bought this book purely for the vampire theme. Writing is amateur at best, plot very predictable. I couldn't get past a third of the book. This is definitely for teen readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, it's okay, but I won't be getting the rest in the series., 27 Sept. 2014
This story and it's characters all felt done before. The author, Bella Forrest is admirable in her ability to throw out book after book, and she's a whizz at marketing too, so I wanted to continue my admiration while reading. I have to admit that didn't happen. Nothing really grabbed me about this book.

Saying that, her target audience LOVE her books, so who cares what I think. My niece loves it though, so tastes vary. Overall, it's okay, but I won't be getting the rest in the series.