Size: Large|Colour: Maroon|Change

on 16 January 2014
Warm, light, comfortable and good value, the quality of these tops seems very high for the money. I bought one and was so impressed I got another a few weeks later.
I use it under a very light shell jacket when mountain biking and it has kept me comfortable down to freezing temps in a damp Scottish winter. I suspect it could cook you if worn indoors.

I vary between a med and a large in most items and according to the sizing chart I'm an L, but on advice of other reviews I bought an XL one of these and its a tight (but correct) fit. the sizing is at least 1 size too small.
on 12 November 2014
Just bought this Sub Sports COLD compression gear for winter jogging as the Sub Sports DUAL left me feeling quite cold even in the middle of my jog! I decided it would probably be for the reader's benefit if i did a comparison between the two compression gears.

Before I go on to the comparison, I must say this: BUY THE NEXT SIZE UP!

If you don't buy the next size up for this Sub COLD compression gear, you may find that it's too tight a fit, and I'll explain why later.

Here's the comparison:
Sub DUAL Compression Gear
Advantages:
- Lightweight
- Excellent compression
- Excellent fit (no need to go a size up)
- Can jog in the rain without feeling soaked
Disadvantages:
- You feel the cold in cold weather (even after jogging for a while).
- Feels a little too tight to start with, but you get used to it.

Sub COLD compression gear
Advantages:
- Lightweight
- Good fit
- Very warm a cosy, perfect for winter jogging!
- Can jog in the rain without feeling soaked
Disadvantages:
- Need to buy one size up, otherwise it will be too tight.
- Low compression due to going the next size up. It does have a tight fit when you go a size up, but you don't get that nice 'squeeze' that a compression gear should have.

Conclusion:
Both compression gears are great for jogging, but the COLD compression gear is better for winter weather. However, with the COLD compression gear you need to go one size up, otherwise it won't fit you at all. Going one size up may remove the 'tight squeeze' feeling depending on your body shape, but it's still a tight fit!

So why the 'size up' rule with the Sub Sports COLD compression top?

Attached is a picture of a size medium Sub Sorts COLD on the left and a size small Sub Sports DUAL on the right. I have opened up the bottoms upwards so that you can see the material inside.
As you can see, the Sub Sports COLD is one layer of elastic material on the outside, coated with fluffy material on the inside. The Sub Sports DUAL, on the other hand, is made up of just one layer of elastic material.

Imagine you had a tight fitting t-shirt, and imagine that I then filled it with a layer of foam on the inside. It would be a lot tighter and a lot less flexible after the addition of the inside layer, and THAT'S why you would need to go a size up! The Sub Sports COLD isn't as flexible as the Sub Sports DUAL due to the COLD one having the extra fluffy layer (it's not foam though, the foam was just an illustration). So if you're a size small (like me) then go for size medium, and if you're size medium then go for large. Etc.
review image
on 9 September 2015
I got a sub sport cold top - Nice material and I am sure it would be warm but it is way way too small. I went with their sizing guidelines and got a large. I had to struggle to get my hands through the sleeves! I eventually got it over my head/shoulders and it was ludicrously small and tight. Getting it off was next to imposible and i hurt my shoulderblade in the process! Yes i know it is a compression top but this is just silly. I am going to try again with an XXL - normally i go with medium/large - because I think it could be a good bit of kit but the sizing guidelines are stupid and it is costing me £3.99 to return. Hence just the 2 stars. Beware!
on 29 July 2015
I'm sure the item is perfect for cold weather (not tested as yet). Nevertheless, the size is too small, particularly under armpits around towards chest. Admittedly, it has to stretch and does so well around my torso. However, under the arm pits the material 'clogs' up and subsequently rubs against the skin which makes it uncomfortable. Although I haven't trained with the top on I suspect sweat may aggravate the issue. In the manufacturers defence I've worn other branded items and the same problem exists, although I don't see myself as having an unusual physical shape. I'm 5'10,13.5st, athletic/stocky build and I ordered XL.

If they could accommodate the area under the armpits/chest e.g. slack mesh type material. This will allow the armpits to breathe and cool accordingly without discomfort.
on 18 October 2015
I own about 8 pieces of Sub Sport attire and really like them. The COLD attire is a must for cycling and running in the winter and really do help protect you from the elements. I often use these as my base layers when snowboarding.

The only reason it's not 5 star is the sizing. I'm 39 chest .. 32 waist and usually i'm a medium but require a large in the Sub Tops and Sub bottoms.

One thing i'd also like to see is a rubber strip on the inside at the bottom of the garment (to stop it riding up) the COLD ones don't suffer this but the standard ones ride up quite a lot which I find frustrating.
on 4 November 2015
This product is great. I read a number of reviews on here before deciding to buy this. I took a tape measuring tape and measured my chest and waist and I fit into the medium sized category on the higher end of the medium sized spectrum (possibly a small large) but from the reviews on amazon I decided to go with the X-large which fits well. It is tight but it's supposed to be. I use it in the winter to play golf and it works like a charm and keeps me warm even in the peak of winter on the course. I would definitely recommend if you are going to buy this you first measure your chest and waist and use the companies size guide to determine which size to buy. If you measure yourself and you are a medium but on the lower end of the medium size chart scale get a large but if you're on the higher end the medium sized scale like myself I would say go with an XL and the same applies if you're a small go for a medium. They're a very snug fit so getting an L when you're a big M may not be as comfortable as getting an XL. I would definitely recommend buying this product but use the size guide and my tips and you should be good to go.
on 7 December 2014
I was looking for a base layer that would be a bit warmer in Winter. I've been very happy with Sub Sports base layers before, so bought this with confidence. Had a ride out today in the colder weather and it worked a treat. Size-wise very snug fit but it will give a little bit. I'm 38" chest and Medium is the right size for me. Nice and long in the body so keeping lower back covered - very important when cycling. Thoroughly recommended
on 3 January 2015
A great product. I've had mine almost a year now and it's not deteriorated at all. Very comfortable, though I would recommend going for one size larger than you normally would (I'm normally an M but chose an L and it's still a very snug fit). I use it primarily for rowing in and it has kept me very warm during mornings on the water in around 1-2 degrees Celsius. I would definitely recommend it!
on 30 March 2013
I've worn this item once for a run and thought it was good but it really came into its own today when I was out walking. The temperature was not too cold but the wind was quite chilly at times and this top kept out pretty much all of the wind and was so comfortable for a whole day with the rucksack on the back. I'll definitely be buying more of these
on 2 November 2012
This is one of the few things I've bought that I just felt compelled to write a review about. This top is excellent! Bought as a cycling base layer, thus far (Nov '12) I've found it very warm and VERY good at wicking away sweat. Sorry to put 'very' in caps, but I really was suprised at how well it works. I'm 5'11" , have a 39 inch chest and a 31 inch waist and the large size feels just snug enough.

One word of caution: unless it is very cold this top may be too warm for running in!

Highly recommended, I'm putting my order in for another one!