Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 6 May 2014
The newspaper itself is fine, the app that carries this newspaper needs a LOT of work.
I subscribed to a 30 day free trial. I couldn't find how to cancel it, I looked everywhere so I would be prepared when the time came. I went online and was told we cannot cancel this subscription ourselves, although due to a mix up (I asked the CS operative "how do I cancel?" and she misunderstood and cancelled it there and then, which was not what I asked) I was not told directly that a call or email or chat online to support was how to cancel it but I guess that's the only logical answer if we can't cancel it ourselves and the SC operative cancelled it as soon as I asked how.
It could be very slow to download and often many attempts had to be made.
It would freeze and crash a few times too.
You cannot delete editions you have downloaded. Despite there being pages in some of the editions giving instruction on how to do this, it cannot be done. I asked Amazon SC about this and they said it can't be done. I guess the app is going to be upgraded at some point.

The newspaper is as you would expect if you are a Times reader. There is nothing wrong with the paper, it's the app, which I hope they will improve.
on 4 March 2016
A quick scan down the reviews and the issues are the same and, more frustratingly, go back years!

I can't remember the last time I didn't have a problem just reading the paper, it won't download, it freezes, bits are missing etc. I'm guessing subscription via iPad is higher so they don't care about Kindle users but there must be plenty of us! Either offer a working service or don't offer one.

Having said that, when it does work on occasion the embedded videos in rugby reports are a great idea. Too bad I can't load that section today again...
on 31 December 2012
Whilst the App may be free, the subscription is nearly double that for the iPad. What's worse, you can't use your iPad App log-in. Deleted.
on 13 March 2016
This us truly awful.
I subscribed to the online Sunday Times in the hope of never missing an issue no matter where I was. Truth is some Sundays I struggle to get it to download any of it. Then some weeks I can download 1 section but it then says I have no internet connection for the other sections, which is simply not true. It should have been thoroughly tested before putting it out to the public. I feel the Times newspaper has thoroughly let people down.
on 24 December 2012
Not the full paper. Great not to have the adverts but no crossword, no sodoku and no tv programmes schedules either. Some articles are truncated. It can be annoying that some articles continue sideways,others are below the page. I suspect it may be better on other devices but its not brilliant on a kindle fire. I doubt I will take out a subscription.
on 31 May 2013
I have to complain about a lack of instructions on how to obtain and view a newspaper both on a Kindle and online. All I need is a brief "How to" leaflet explaining how to use the editions which I have purchased. I ended up phoning the 0800 number many times for help. They were invariably helpful and quick but it shouldn't have been necessary. My first problem was with the Kindle version of the daily Times. I couldn't find the Times 2 section ( it isn't there but it is on the PC). I coudln't find share prices etc in the Business pages. They aren't there on the Kindle version and I haven't yet found them on my PC. I didn't know I had to reboot my Kindle every day before it would download the latest edition. Downloading the images is quite slow but the quality of them, especially on my Kindle Fire HD, is superb. It took a while to get used to "reading" the newspaper on my Kindle - again, a few general instructions would have been useful
on 3 February 2013
It should be a nice replacement for the morning paper and I like the additional content that is not available in the app but when the damn thing doesn't even upload the most recent edition but keeps pushing last weekend's edition you have to wonder what you're paying for.
on 28 October 2013
This app does not work. Mine freezes many times a day. It will not download the days paper. On the occasions I do manage to get the paper if I start reading and then go back later the content has vanished. It's a total pain. All the other apps for the Kindle Fire work, why can't this one?
on 21 February 2013
The good bits first - the layout closely resembles the style of the printed paper, the articles are presented in a sharp, easily readable typeface and the accompanying pictures are excellent quality.

Not so good - navigation is inconsistent. Some articles scroll sideways, a page at a time, some scroll vertically with full page width and some scroll vertically on a single column. It is not always easy to tell which method to use: you end up attempting to first swipe vertically - if the text doesn't move then swipe horizontally.

Hate - the Mindgames section is not interactive! An offer to send a printable puzzle page to your inbox just doesn't cut it when the iPad version can offer fully interactive versions of all the puzzles. It does rather defeat the purpose of an online paper.

Hopefully there will be some updates soon that address these points.
on 15 February 2013
I enjoy reading the Times newspaper on my Kindle FireHD and some of the magazines at the week-end, I especially like the way that news is updated during the day and it is sometimes possible to play a video clip. Because of the amount of data, the download sometimes takes longer than I would like, although I do understand that is due to the large amount of data that is being downloaded combined with my broadband download speed.
I currently subscribe to the Telegraph for my Kindle Keyboard, which is more basic, but being much less data, the download is over in a second. I would like to be able to have one subscription and and choose which Kindle device I choose to read the newspaper, but the Times subscription only works on my Kindle FireHD and the Telegraph only works on my Kindle Keyboard. I won't continue with 2 subscriptions, so I will need to choose between these two.