Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 February 2013
A long-awaited collection of beautiful songs of love and loss from the supremely talented Moody Blues frontman. At 66, he still has the voice of an angel and a seemingly inexhaustible fund of wonderful melodies - 'Lazy Afternoon' is particularly delightful. He's no slouch on the guitar either. As well as the new material there are interesting reworkings of some older songs and Anne Dudley's string arrangements are very fine indeed.
on 28 February 2013
As one reviewer has said, can you believe this voice in a guy who is 66 years old? It's incredible. I haven't even come to the end of this wonderful CD yet I feel propelled towards my computer to post a review. This is an amazing CD, well worth the money. Am seeing The Moody Blues in concert on 5th June and hope he will play some of these songs. I just feel transported to a different world, filled with optimism and beauty! Hope he does another one soon. If you haven't seen it, watch his recent interview video on YouTube. It isn't fair for one man to have so much talent!
on 25 February 2013
Although touring frequently with the revitalized Moody Blues Justin Hayward seems a rare guest in the studio. This being his first solo album since 1996. And not a whole lot of M.B. records either in this time.

What we get here is classic Hayward, well-written songs, heatfelt and clever lyrics mostly about romantic love. And mostly with his peculiar branch of touching melancholy. His dreamy guitar all over the place, supported by Anne Dudley's string arrangements. Most songs slow to mid tempo perhaps the album could seem a bit boring at first listen. But this is real Songs that slowly but surely grab the ears and work their way into the 'subconscious', keep rotating on the inner jukebox.

Not a big come-back or a radical new direction - except for some country influence in 3 of the songs amongst them a reworking of "Broken Dreams" - it is more like a thoughtful letter from a long-time, treasured friend.
It's been a long time since "The View From The Hill" and Justin Hayward proves he's still a forceful talent. On first listen, it seems that this is a grand collection of mid-tempo love songs and you might be right. However, Hayward simply takes his best quality of songwriting and refines sit. "In Your Blue Eyes", "One Day, Someday", "The Western Sky" and "The Eastern Sun" all showcase strong songwriting ability with interplay of guitars, keyboards and orchestration. The heartfelt emotion is both subtle and in your face. Nobody plays the 12-string like Justin Hayward.

On further listens, there is strong evidence of `bluegrass' which shouldn't be surprising, as three of the albums songs were recorded and produced in Nashville ("What Your Resist Persists", "Broken Dream" and "It's Cold Outside your Heart"). In fact, Kenny Loggins lends a hand in songwriting, vocals and guitar on "On The Road To Love". Also, "Its Cold Outside Your Heart" is from the album, "Moody Bluegrass Two...Much Love". These make a nice blend and mix with the standard romanticism of Justin Hayward's typical songs. Another nice fact is that Alberto Parodi co-produced this album. He's been helping the Moody Blues since 1967!

Not to miss a surprise, at the end of the alternate version of, "One Day, Someday", Hayward interjects a short bridge of an instrumental to be followed what can only be called Techno Euro-pop. But that's not a bad thing when you give it a good hard headphone listen. No need to dance to these two remixes of "Out There Somewhere" (from "I Know You're Out There Somewhere"). The first version puts a spin on ethereal vocals and keyboard work, while the second places more of an emphasis on percussion. If your thought is why this? I would suggest why not? It's like getting a little extra boost after a full album. The view from the hill changes still.
on 2 March 2013
It's been too long since Justin Hayward's last album (or the Moody Blues', for that matter), but it has definitely been worth the wait. He is one of the few singers whose CDs I will unhesitatingly buy without hearing first, knowing that he will not let me down. And, sure enough, here we are given a fine selection, mainly made up of gorgeous love songs, but all beautifully crafted, and sung from the heart. If this is your kind of music, then I can heartily recommend this CD. You won't be disappointed.
on 25 February 2013
Seventeen years after his last solo offering we are given this new collection.
There are two or three reworked honeys in this album of great tunes.......'It's cold outside of your heart' is given a proper bluegrass work over. Broken Dream revisits us, and what a great tune it is.
I am listening to 'Spirits' after a particularly stressful day at work.....there it was on the mat, exactly when Amazon said it would be delivered (Nice one guys).
It is just so good to hear Justins voice again, even better to hear some new songs. Let's face it, Justin and his indeed his band haven't exactly been very prolific in the past decade or more.
At 66 his voice is that of someone half his age.

The voice is still as warm, soft, tuneful and strong as it ever was. The songwriting is still stunning. The Guitar melts you as it always did. The man is a rare talent who has never really courted the fame game.....maybe that's why he and the Moodies never burned out and still play to millions live all over the world.

Nice surprise awaits some of his younger fans....Hell! Some of us older ones too. Last two tracks.........got me all out of breath cutting some rug in the living room. Whooooda thunk it? 'I know you're out there somewhere' set to a stonking dance beat. Not just one version, BUT TWO!!!!! And they're damn bloody good too!!

Look..............it's a great little album and well worth the reasonable price tag.

Great album Justin, now where the next Moodies CD??
on 6 March 2013
I have been enjoying the works of Justin since the days of 'In Search of the Lost Chord' back in the sixties. This is a classic. The brilliant second track 'One Day, Some Day' stopped me in my tracks with it's strings arrangment right from the first time I heard it. However much to my amazement, an even better arrangement of the same song, slightly longer with more prominent accoustics and percussion is featured later. This is easily one of my all time favourites. Us Moodies fans will know " I Know You're Out There Somewhere", An upbeat disco version appears at the end of this CD in an extended form - great fun. We walked down the aisle at our recent wedding to the original version. That was after signing the register to New Horizons" My much younger bride thinks it's brilliant. Some of the tracks in the middle take some getting into but there are fifteen in total. I went to see the Moodies for an eighteen birthday treat - I am going to see them later this year as a sixtieth bithday treat. Now that's what I call longivety (them not me) This is quality - I would definitely recommend it.
on 29 April 2013
This is, in the main, what we've come to expect from Justin Hayward (whether solo or with the Moody Blues), an immaculately crafted great listen, with a warmth and depth to the music you don't hear often enough.

I've been playing the single "In Your Blue Eyes" for a few weeks on my show on Big L Radio (loved it from the first play) and it's got positive listener response. So I was glad when I got the album, that it lived up to the promise of the single - until the last two tracks.

Have to say, these last two tracks stuck out like a sore thumb, from what is otherwise a superb album. They are two imho dreadful club remixes of re-recordings of the classic Moody Blues track "I Know You're out There Somewhere". Goodness know what all involved were thinking!

In all other respects though a very worthy addition to your album collection.
on 26 February 2013
I gave up saying "you must listen to .... (who ever) some years ago.
All I can tell you is it`s another excellent collection from an undervalued master.
on 7 May 2013
I have been a huge fan of the Moody Blues 'classic seven' for as long as I can remember, and was often disappointed by the MOR nature of Justin's subsequent solo releases (Bluejays excepted). Delighted then to hear this, his latest offering. Strong songwriting, good production values, remarkable vocals and his signature guitar work make for a really good album that could be his best, or at least, neck and neck with 'Songwriter'. The only low point for me being the song 'What you resists persists' which lyrically persists in irritating me. That aside, I am sure I will enjoy listening to this for a long time to come. The brave inclusion of the two 'Out There Somewhere' mixes adds a welcome touch of contemporary grit, much appreciated.