5.0 out of 5 stars So obvious once you've thought about it!
Published 22 months ago by Bob Slee

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Not really a premise that fills a whole book. A lot of obvious stuff that reveals nothing new
Published 2 months ago by Emma Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars So obvious once you've thought about it!, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: DITCHING DIETS: How to lose weight in a way you can maintain (Kindle Edition)
Gillian Riley's message is a very simple one ie focus on the cause and not the symptoms. Applying this to the complex business of overeating, weight problems and body image could be a psychological minefield but Riley's down to earth yet authoritative (and clearly well researched) style both helps you focus on the glaring logic and enthuses you to get on and deal with it. If you're exhausted by an endless cycle of diet and binge eating and believe you might be open to a completely different approach then at the very least give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to buy this for every woman I know, 23 Mar 2013
As a health journalist I have to read an inordinate number of diet books, articles, product reviews etc. At best they are harmless but ineffective, at worst unhealthy and dangerous. So reading Gillian Riley's new book is like a breath of fresh air - she clearly explains why WE not some slimming club or fad diet can take control of our eating patterns. Easy to read and concise with advice on how to get your healthy eating plans back on track this is a MUST BUY for anyone who has ever indulged in 'comfort' eating or tried to lose a few pounds - probably most of us then? I can't recommend this book strongly enough. I want to buy it for nearly everyone I know - especially people who grumble about their weight and their unhealthy diets. Like Susie Orbach, Gillian helps women empower themselves - and focus on appreciating the wonder of their very human bodies rather than focussing on their imperfections. After all it is our imperfections that make us beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 7 Feb 2013
The thoughts and ideas in this book have completely changed the way that I think about food. I realise that eating "rubbish" isn't actually pleasurable and my brain has just been conditioned to think so after years and years of marketing, and years and years of eating food that simply didn't exist 50 years ago. I've also attended one of Gillian's courses and found it excellent. I can't recommend this highly enough. I don't feel that I've "got there" yet in terms of changing the way I think about food and stopping binging, but I'm slowly but surely working on improving and retraining myself. This book has given me the confidence to think that I will achieve what I want to i.e. stop obsessing about junk food, and start living a healthy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Time Fan, 9 Jan 2013
P. Cameron - See all my reviews
Gillian Riley's advice makes sense on many levels. Her theories are backed up by scientific evidence as well as her own experience and that of her clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !, 26 Mar 2013
The average fee for any slimming club is now about a fiver, for less than this you could do yourself a favour and download Gillian's book, everything she writes about makes so much sense, and she writes in a way that anyone can understand and I suspect that anyone who has joined any slimming club will understand exactly what she is trying to convey. I learned a lot from this book and enjoyed it so much that I downloaded her second book which goes in to more detail. I have followed Gillian's advice and I regret every visit to all the slimming clubs I have given money to. If you are prepared to follow the advice given in this fantastic book you will not only feel better and more confident about yourself but you will see the pounds dropping off too. I cannot recommend her books highly enough, I just wish I had read them 20 years ago. Thank you Gillian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been more thrilled!, 2 Feb 2013
First of all...I have to say, reading this book made me feel like I was sitting right next to the author and she was helping and holding my hand through the whole thing!
What an easy read this book was. It was incredibly easy to follow and oh so inspiring.
This is not a book about dieting at all...it's about doing the easiest and very best thing positive for me and everyone else in my house, and changing our way of eating...our way of life. Healthy choices,..but STILL choices, which is great!
So excited for us to get started. For the first time in my life, I am really looking forward to eating the right foods and having fun doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the AMAZING, 5 Feb 2013
Gillian's approach to the problem of over eating and being stuck in the diet rut is simply amazing and it WORKS! after 15 years of yo yo dieting, an eating disorder and binge eating I have found harmony and contentment with food that I never ever had. Ditching the diet and Eating less might be the small and the big version of the same thing however for me they have been the answer I have been looking for, for years. After attending the seminar in London last weekend it all fell into place and the empowerment I feel NOW and TODAY is mind boggling! I have two teenage boys and I can see patterns of overeating and culture driven obsession with weight and shape emerging slowly but surly, using the techniques and knowledge I gained from Gillian I am able to deal with the problem much better and with confidence, thank you Gillian!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing insights, 20 Sep 2013
Anna Blume (Großstadt, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
I actually cried, when I read Ditching Diets and "Eating less". Riley absolutely understands the problem and I still can't believe that Riley is the first person who addresses eating issues correctly. Having found her method is a relief. I'm in better control of my habits now. Give it a shot, you will not regret it.
The method is excellent.
This is the shorter version of "Eating Less" by the same author. I found the longer "Eating Less" more helpful and would recommend to buy the other book instead of this one.

Would I recommend it? I have already bought "Willpower" for me and the stop-smoking book written by Riley as a gift for a friend. As I've been struggling with eating disorders (thank you Weight Watchers!) and yo-yo-dieting between three dress sizes for twenty years, I am so glad I found Gillian Riley. Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are going to read only one book on eating..., 26 Feb 2013
I highly, highly, highly recommend Gillians books! I have read pretty much Everything on this subject, and Gillians work Really stands out. She makes So much sense. She Really knows her stuff and she is Excellent at explaining it in a clear way. You feel understood, supported and guided. The kind of thinking Gillians presents can set you free and give you back your power of owning your own choices. Your steps towards more freedom around food you will have to take yourself - this is no quick fix magic trick - but it is Real and it is grounded in neuroscience and psychology. I also recommend her seminars and the cd, that you can find on her website eatingless.com. Best of luck and food and love to you! <3

5.0 out of 5 stars If there's one book you get on losing weight without dieting, get this one, 4 Feb 2013
Gillian's approach is actually very simple - that's not to say it's easy! Change requires effort, and this programme is not a magic wand. What you don't need to do with this approach, is examine your past. Her method directly addresses the nature and cause of addictive eating. I recommend her seminar too. I had read Eating Less some time ago, and did apply the principles with some success - but hearing things in another way, hearing the answers to questions of others in the group, as well as learning about neuroplasticity and the basics of nutrition were all very empowering. If you really do want to make permanent change, with some immediate results, this is the book for you.