4.0 out of 5 stars Give this a few listens...before deciding!!
Published on 16 Mar. 2013 by Insight71

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult second album syndrome?
Having loved the debut album and gone to see Hurts live, it was with great anticicpation that i bought the follow up. First impressions, however, have not been good. The album, as you would expect, is very well produced and the vocals are excellent. The one thing that it seems to lack is memorable tunes. I have only listened to the album twice since buying it so I may be...
Published on 29 May 2013 by aging muso

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this a few listens...before deciding!!, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Always going to be difficult following such an excellent debut album. Please ignore the negative reviews certain individuals have given Hurts second installment. After a first listen I was not taken but a couple of plays later and yes it's good....even very good considering the high standards set by Happiness. There are added Guitars, choirs etc etc as mentioned before but if you're not humming 'Sandman' after a few plays I'll be surprised. Vocally again spot on which bodes well for the future live shows. They may never get the mainstream play that the music deserves but then anybody who has watched these two guys live and seen the effort they put into the music they produce....wont care a bit. Just remember Depeche Mode could walk down any street in this country without being recognised and have sold over 110 million records........As with DM, Hurts have already conquered Europe and destiny awaits......Buy this excellent second album and enjoy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Won the second album's challenge., 12 April 2013
Júlio (São Paulo, BRAZIL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Hurts made a big deal with their first album 'Happiness' they bring synthpop to life but not the 80's synthpop it's obvious the influence is there but in a new era and for new refresh kind for this generation. After having been certified by British Music Industry and Platinum and Double Platinum in several countries on Europe they put their second album 'Exile' out. As the first record synthpop is there and some kind o nine inche nails + Depeche Mode vibe too. A record who talk about sex and dirtier ways, guilty, vices with stunnig guitar all across the record and incredibile vocal performance by the vocalist Theo with a new and creative way to use synthesizers in songs that manage to transform the culture of Manchester into something commercial with quality not a cheap one. They did what had to be done at a time when the artists do not challenge themselves by fear. Believe me, if you're a fan of pop music and want to hear something famous, commercial, addictive but at the same time with a whole meaning to exist and hard work behind it, this is the album. Let you learn something new, this is quality pop and I'm sure this album will sell better than the previous and break new records. I'm not talking as a fan I'm talking as a person who knows to regonize comercial musica with quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Commendable Second Album, 15 Mar. 2013
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Hurts are a band that come in for criticism that is both harsh and, in my opinion, slightly unfair. Their overblown dramatics seem to stick in the gullet of some people but I personally don't mind, it is good to see something different.

And Hurts are, if nothing else, different from the cookie cutter R'n'B 'tear up da club' nonsense currently dominating the charts.

Yes, Hurts will not be getting grammys for their ability to write heartfelt lyrics, some of them verge on pubescent poetry but with the combination of gargantuan tunes, U2 style guitars and inspired keyboards, they make something of more grandeur than they are generally supposed to.

Exile continues where Happiness left off, the textures in here are a little darker, the 80's styling cues unmistakable, from chanting children to stadium sized guitars and precisely timed drum machines.

The pomp and circumstance are in full flow, the drama wrung from every nuance.

I dig it, Hurts are cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
A really great follow up to "happiness" this will not disappoint anyone who loved/liked "happiness " can't wait to see what the come up with next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
You need to listen to this album to fully appreciate it. It does not have the same immediate impact as their first album, but is just as good, you need to give it time and it needs several listening's to fully appreciate the songs and music. Tracks 2, 10, 11 and 12 are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 24 Nov. 2013
M. K. Boers "purplequeenuk" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Exile is exceptional! It is clear that Theo has been training his voice; the clarity, strength and confidence that comes through on the songs is incredible! The songs on this album are 'fuller' and have more depth than those on Happiness (which I also adore). Superb album.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this album!, 8 Mar. 2014
C. Snape (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Great item. I love these guys (great live too). I'm a big fan of a-ha and after the guys split in 2010 and after following them for 25 years, the word gutted was an understatement, I didnt expect any other band to grab me again. However on hearing Hurts I was certainly intridged and I love their music. I sure hope the guys make it big over here. Theo's voice and the melodies are moving and all but a joy to listen too. Some people prefer their first album, but I love this just as much. They remind me of a-ha and depeche mode put together (another band I like). Keep up the good work guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album but not as good as the first, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Really liked a lot of the songs on this second album by Hurts although it didn't quite hit the same mark as their debut album. Saying that though, if you enjoyed their first album you will definitely still want to hear this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as brilliant as I expected it to be...and maybe even just a tiny bit more so!, 20 Jun. 2013
Polly (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
Absolutely LOVE this album! I wasn't too sure what to make of some of the songs when I first heard the preview clips but after hearing the first single, Miracle, I wanted to hear the album in full. The second single, Blind, just confirmed that further.

My favourite song on this album is Help - a beautiful ballad that just really stirs my emotions and I love how the song builds towards the end. Closely following that is The Crow, that makes me feel like I'm soaring through the air. Somebody To Die for is another big highlight.

Sandman took some getting used to for me, but it's quite a ridiculously catchy song that I couldn't help falling for eventually and ended up with it stuck in my head very often! Cupid is possibly my least favourite track, but I certainly don't hate it.

Out of the bonus 2 tracks, Heaven is the one I can easily imagine being sang along to at gigs (absolutely gutted I wasn't able to get tickets for the tour) and Guilt is a sad little ballad that is beautifully sung.

Can't say anything about the bonus DVD, as my DVD player is broken so I can't watch it yet :( but at the time I bought it, the album was only £10.48, a bargain for the 14 superb tracks included!

Overall, I have no regrets what-so-ever on buying this album, I just wish I'd had the money available to buy it on release!
Now...I'm off to go play it while I cook dinner!

4.0 out of 5 stars A change in style, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Exile (Audio CD)
It`s ok but not as good as the previous album although admire their adventure into new territory. Each track is different style

Exile
Exile by Hurts (Audio CD - 2013)