5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Comeback
Published 17 months ago by Mr. Samuel Memour

3.0 out of 5 stars Bonus Disc Review - Buy the standard Version!
Prices as of 1st May 2013

Six Bonus tracks for 4 extra. Seems OK, why not?

I'll tell you why not. Three of them have been remixed (or created) with rap/hip-hop style - what a juxtaposition; and not a favourable one. I have a fairly cosmopolitan taste, but it does not stretch that far. I expect most others who like Dido will feel the same...
Published 15 months ago by Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Comeback, 4 Mar 2013
Mr. Samuel Memour (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Like another reviewer, I actually thought "Safe Trip Home" was stunning, even though it was a darker and less commercial album. The new album is closer to the first two in terms of overall feel but has some of the maturity of the last album. Comparing Dido to Adele is a bit pointless, they are both brilliant, but Dido's class shines through every time, and her voice is as evokative as ever.

No Freedom is a great opener, and the closing track "day before we went to war" is my favourite. I doubt she will be as big as she was before now, but I really hope she enjoys making music for many years to come and carries on producing music with as high quality as this.

An incredible artist, it's great to hear some new music. Welcome back Dido.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dido and friend!, 5 May 2013
S. Davis "Like gadgets" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Overall another winner for Dido. She has gone back to her roots with the style we first came to love.
A few tracks are instantly recognisable and you will be whistling along to them in no time, others grow on you and then there are the odd few I’m still undecided on.
The only criticism i have is the sudden appearance of a rapper in the middle of the odd track I am not a big fan of rap (so a little bias) and I find it clashes with the tempo of the song, a bit like an unwelcome advert shoved into the middle of your favourite film. So 4 Star rating but may become 5 in time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bonus Disc Review - Buy the standard Version!, 1 May 2013
Prices as of 1st May 2013

Six Bonus tracks for 4 extra. Seems OK, why not?

As for the other 3 tracks, pleasant enough. But for 2 (today at least) you can buy the whole "Safe Trip Home" album. Half the money, much better spent.

As for the album as a whole, very typical Dido - mostly no surprises. The ones you hear on the radio are the best I think, but "Let us Move On" - has the hip/hop rap too - arrguhh. It's like putting vinegar in cream - what in Gods name was she thinking?

Post Script: After you have deleted the few (C) rap versions, I have realised what this (and all Dido's) albums are great for - putting on repeat on a long haul night flight - wonderfully melodic to fall asleep to and nothing jarring to wake you when you finally drift off. (This is not intended as a veiled criticism, although it will be the same reason some don't like her)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Girl Who Got Away is an absolutely stunning record that has set the bar high for Dido's future work.

It is in capturing a perfect balance that Girl Who Got Away shines brightest. We have warm acoustics on songs like No Freedom and Sitting On The Roof of the World (this latter track is sonically reminiscent of the gorgeous Mary's In India on Life For Rent). Elsewhere we have the pure-pop sparkling euphoria of Let's Runaway and End of Night. A wistful and contemplative dimension is taken on in tracks like Happy New Year and Loveless Hearts, while Dido's work enters into new ambient territory on the haunting Day Before We Went To War, a moving collaboration between Brian Eno and Dido.

Girl Who Got Away is fresh stuff, yet evocative of her previous works. It has the insightful and maturer perspective of Safe Trip Home, while keeping the atmospheric, captivating electronica of No Angel and Life For Rent.

I can't leave this review without mentioning the utterly brilliant standout "Black-Black-"Blackbird. Happy, bubbly and quick in the initial verses, yet ethereal and moving in the chorus. For me, this encapsulates the expertly balanced character of the frankly fantastic Girl Who Got Away.

You have not disappointed Dido. I am a massive fan and the wait was worth it. Thanks!

2.0 out of 5 stars From dizzy heights through monotony to…. Dirge, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away (Audio CD)
Dido burst onto the scene in 1999 with the album “No Angel” and followed this up four years later with “Life for Rent”; both brilliant albums with not a filler track in sight, (though I prefer No Angel as a more complete album, track wise). These were followed some years later by “Safe Trip Home”; a monotonous album with very few stand-out tracks to mention. We then move on to this most recent incarnation: “Girl Who Got Away”, what can I say…..dirge is about the only word which seems to cover all the bases. Oh dear Dido, were you really just a flash in the pan two album star? Or did you just peak too early?
These are just my own personal opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' for any Dido fan!, 11 Aug 2014
Dr. S. Sutar (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an absolutely fantastic album. I loved 'No Angel' and since then Dido's albums have got better and better. Dido retains her unique sound on her 4th album 'Girl Who Got Away' that builds on 'Safe Trip Home' but incorporates other sounds (e.g. synths, trip-hop, folk). The tracks 'No Freedom', 'End of Night' and 'Go Dreaming' stand out for me, and while some tracks are not as strong as these particular ones, the entire collection on this delux album blend together to offer yet another masterpiece from Dido. Some critics may not consider this album unique but, in my opinion, Dido IS unique and I am ridiculously happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
I've always admired Dido's musical style. It's serene and graceful, yet powerfully honest and dark in places. And it's a delight to say that once again she has well and truly delivered! She's brought with her the same charm and honesty we've become accustomed to whilst also assimilating more 'modern' musical styles, for want of a better word.

She's definitely venturing more. Personally, I just can't get into 'modern' music and am indifferent to most its offerings, so the concept of this seeping into Dido's music was quite horrifying. Admittedly, I was taken aback by a few of the songs... A rapper? Synthy pop? I'm sorry... What? But it works. Hats off to her (and Rollo), it's a clean musical progression that pushes the boat out enough to bring new and interesting sounds to the table, whilst retaining the core quality of we've come to know and love

The album certainly feels darker than the likes of 'White Flag', but it only seems to make it all the more compelling to listen to. My only real gripe is that the second half of the album is predominantly darker and it finishes on a bit of a downer. You're waiting for the uplifting finale and it almost leaves you wanting

1. No Freedom - The album opens nicely with a bit of classic Dido. Charming, laid back and beautifully sung
2. Girl Who Got Away - Another solid track that should appeal to the core fans
3. Let Us Move On - This is where things take an interesting turn. Not only does the track sound considerably darker than the previous 2, but it also features an interlude of rapping from Kendrick Lamar. Recipe for disaster? I didn't think so. Shocking, yes, but it gives the song a nice edge to it without detracting too much from it
4. Blackbird - By far the stand-out track. I absolutely love this one! An elegant mix of a sleek drumline and synth (yes, I did say elegant) that goes from the almost 'bouncy' verses to a gorgeous haunting chorus
5. End Of Night - It's got quite a quirky electronic feel to it, but laced with Dido's beautiful vocals, seals itself as another excellent addition to the album
6. Sitting On The Roof Of The World - This one is a sweet contrast to the previous songs. It's pretty much just a guitar and Dido's voice. A gorgeous little piece
7. Love To Blame - I really didn't like this one. It was weirdly dancey, a bit cheesy (random trumpets... what) and Dido's vocals sounded quite weak in places (very breathy in the chorus)... but damn it that bass line hooked me! A bit of a toe-tapping guilty pleasure
8. Go Dreaming - This is a sort of 'Sand In My Shoes' of the album. It's got a healthy dashing of effects in the background that makes it quite trancey
9. Happy New Year - A very dark and sombre piece (contrary to what seems to be quite an upbeat title!) - It's good but it's just a *little* too dark and depressing for my style
10. Loveless Hearts - Whilst it doesn't really stand out or stand up to some of the awesome earlier tracks, it's a solid piece
11. The Day We Went To War - The album finishes on quite a dark, haunting note. It's both beautiful and ominous

Ultimately this strikes me as one of those albums that would initially feels like a guilty pleasure - but with more listens, you find that there's very little to be guilty about. The quality, craft and execution of the album are superb

2.0 out of 5 stars A one play wonder, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Ok perhaps one play is a bit mean, I have spun this disc up about 5 times now and I've wanted to like it, I've wanted to like it a lot.. but I have to say - I just can't bring myself to.
I feel really let down by Dido's latest offering. After really enjoying her first two albums, then finding 'Safe trip home' rather on the bland side, I heard the track 'No freedom' played on the radio, and thought, "this sounds rather good, maybe it will be a return to form for Dido" and waited with eager anticipation for the album to be released.
So here I am album beside me writing this review!
As I said I really enjoyed track one 'No freedom,' which it's quite catchy number, then from song two the synth electro backing starts.
Track 3 starts off ok and then... well then the rapping starts. or as I say rap with a capital 'C'
Then for most of the rest of the album it's back to more bland electro beats.
It's great that Dido is experimenting a bit more and I think this new sound would have worked well had it been on a third of the tracks say, but by about halfway through the album it just begins to sounds monotonous.
Don't get me wrong, Dido has a very pleasant voice, quite suited to the acoustic sound of her first two albums and the emotion in it we do thankfully, but briefly get to hear once again on the final track, 'Day before we went to war.' However the relentless synth & drum machine beat backing of the rest of the album just drains any remaining emotion completely away and we end up with a largely unmemorable collection of songs.
Cd 2, and I thought "Dido's chance to redeem herself" sadly not to be. I think I actually groaned out load when once again the rapping cut in.
Will this album end up down at the one of the many town charity shops our high street is now awash with since we all started shopping at Amazon? (I bought this 2 cheaper in a local independent record shop.) Maybe I'll give it one last chance!

3.0 out of 5 stars same ol' Dido, 29 Mar 2013
Philippe Desaegher "phildefer" (Belgique) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Sure I could give 4 stars: the music is good, the songs are good, the singing is good.
Had it been her first cd, I would have applauded.
Trouble is, I have all Dido's cd's and I feel like I keep hearing the same lingering song all the time.
Dido's voice is a bit dull (and I love it), but the counter effect is that too much is too much.
And in this new CD, while all the material is great (really), I seem to have heard it all before.
I'd wish she'd explore, create, venture, rejuvenate,... Where is creativity ? Is that it ? once and for all ?
So, not 1 star because the Cd is good (and you may buy it : it's a good Dido product), but not 5 stars because she certainly is not renewing herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dido - Girl Who Got Away, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away (Audio CD)
Another excellent album from Dido. I'm so glad she doesn't make any major changes to her music. It's so haunting, peaceful and restfull - great to listen to in the car on the way home from a stressful day.

Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc]
Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc] by Dido (Audio CD - 2013)