5.0 out of 5 stars Great Punchy Travel Speaker!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:56 Mins
A great speaker in my opinion. I did a little box opening season so you can see it in more detail then the pics but was really impressed by the build quality of this product! Remember - this is made by the same people who make the BoomDock and that thig is epic!
Published on 21 Mar. 2013 by Beardy_Man

1.0 out of 5 stars Not working
I've purchased this item before christmas and now that we're actually using it, it suddenly stopped producing any sound, although the bluetooth connection it's working perfectly. I don't know what happened, neither what to do. So, the device works fine, but it doesn't produce any sound, not even the 'turn on' sound. Can you help me?
Published 4 months ago by Mara Mata

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Punchy Travel Speaker!, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: KitSound Hive Bluetooth Wireless Universal Portable Stereo Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices Including iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/5C/6/6 Plus, iPad 2/3/4/Air/Mini, iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4/S5, Galaxy Note 2/3, Galaxy Tab 2/3/4, Amazon Fire Phone, Xperia Z1/Z2, HTC One/One M8 and Google Nexus 5/7/10 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Length:: 6:56 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker for the price, 18 Feb. 2015
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:09 Mins

The KitSound Pocket Hive is a really nice looking portable Bluetooth speaker that was sent to me for review.

It's smaller than you'd think looking at the photos, standing approximately 8cm tall, and unlike the typical cylindrical or rectangular design adopted by manufacturers the world over KitSound have opted for a hexagonal shape.

It has a really nice matt finish, one that is rather strokable and gives this pocket boom box a premium feel.

You charge via USB, and next to the charging slot are 2 x 3.5 sockets, one acts as a line in (e.g. for use with MP3 players that don't have Bluetooth) the other acts as a line out, something not especially common on portable speakers. The line out gives you the option to plug a second speaker into the first, for example a second Pocket Hive.

Pairing with a mobile is made really easy with the inclusion of NFC, just tap your phone on the NFC tag and it asks if you want to pair with the speaker. If you don't have an NFC enabled phone you pair via the traditional Bluetooth settings menu.

For something so small the sound quality is very good. It easily fills the room without distorting, there wasn't any lag when watching YouTube videos and for something so tiny it's got a decent bit of bass.

On the base of the Pocket Hive is a pad that vibrates the surface the Pocket Hive is placed on adding an additional kick to the bass. The speaker sounds great even without this additional kick, and while not an amazing bass it's great for something so tiny.

The small size makes this great for travelling around with and you get a travel bag included. It's nice to see a quality bag has been bundled in rather than just a cloth bag, and it has a compartment at the top if you want to store the charging cable.

KitSound have done a great job with the Pocket Hive, it's the right design with the right sound quality at the right price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable audio solution, 17 April 2015
Excellent for what it is, sound quality is great as long as your expectations are realistic. Obviously a portable speaker of this size is never going to sound like a proper hi-fi, it's not something I'd recommend as your only source of audio at home. However, this is great as a portable unit that's good for camping trips, hotels, out in the garden etc or just as a quick and easy boost to the audio output of a laptop. I've previously used the popular X-mini speakers and, in volume terms, this sounds roughly comparable to two of those daisy chained together but the sound quality of the Hive is better and whereas the X-minis tend to bounce around all over the place and fall over this is much more stable. The 'passive bass radiator' on the bottom actually does seem to help extend the bottom end a bit, particularly if the speaker is placed on a hard surface and the bass response is pretty good (again - if you're realistic about what can be achieved at this size and price). I've had no problems with the bluetooth but I do tend to use the 3.5mm stereo jack more often simply because it uses less battery power both on the speaker and on whatever device I'm using to play music from. The battery life is excellent too, I've certainly had more than the advertised 10 hours out of a full charge when connected through the jack input. For about a quarter of the price of a Bose Soundlink Mini you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Mar. 2015
Having owned this speaker for a few weeks now i can safely say this is by far the best blutooth speaker in its catagory.
I tend to use this style of speaker often whilst cooking in a noisy kitchen, as a teaching aid for music playback and also for listening to music in the garden.
I have previously used speakers from "Phillips, Sony and Bush". This is just a completely different kettle of fish. The quality of sound compared to other similarly priced units is very noticable. Bass response is clear and NEVER distorts even when pushed to the limit. Trebbles and mids are punchy and and balanced with the bass well.
The fit and finish are second to none and the unit feels like it will outlast any rivals especially with the bespoke carry case. It also looks classy in black.
Connectivity could not be simpler. It looks like you can daisychain these together aswell which is a big bonus if you want extra power.
Although "Kit Sound" is a fairly new kid on the block, i would seriously consider looking into their speakers before going with some of the obvious manufacturers, i guarantee you will be surprised.
I am already looking into the hive headphones by Kit Sound as my next purchase.
Keep the products coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good device, easy to use, nice sound, can get a bit of a buzz when using the supplied 3.5mm cable, 21 April 2014
Overall it's a good piece of kit, sound is surprisingly deep and clear (especially if you put it on a nice resonant surface). Only thing that stops it being five stars is that sometimes if gets a high-frequency buzz / whine if you use the 3.5mm cable rather than bluetooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was still expecting to be disappointed, given the small size and low price, 28 Sept. 2014
Based on the positive reviews and having heard (and been frankly underwhelmed with) some of the comparable models available from other manufacturers first hand, I thought this was worth a go at this price... I was still expecting to be disappointed, given the small size and low price, but I was very pleasantly surprised! This kind of product generally has a tinny sound with a distorted, eye-watering bass, but that isn't the case here. I have now spent a weekend with the Hive, listening to a variety of music from dance to indie, and I've been impressed. I should start by saying I have used a friend's Bose unit of comparable size and found it had an excessively accentuated mid-bass and top end treble that seems initially impressive but is ultimately really tiresome to listen to for any length of time. On the other hand, whoever designed this unit should be congratulated for producing something that is really pleasant to listen to in the longer term. Of course, something this tiny can't compete with a full-size hi-fi, but it does an impressive job nonetheless. I still can't quite believe how much distortion-free volume it can produce from such tiny drive units. The passive bass port on the bottom sounds like a gimmick but actually works incredibly well and the overall sound is a nice, warm and rounded sound provided you put it on a hard surface (like a table) and close to a wall or similar reflecting surface. The money has definitely been spent on the critical ingredients here, so the carry case is just a basic velvet-fabric wallet with drawstring (still reasonable quality) and there are just the 3.5mm and micro-USB cables included; some people seem to rave about the packaging - yes, it's quite nice, but fortunately this isn't where the money has been spent either! Battery life better than quoted. Only downside is that at max volume it can eventually vibrate it's way off the table! All-in-all though, really the best unit in this class that cannot be beaten :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang for buck, it's in the heavyweight division., 31 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a present for a member of the family who was very impressed with my Bose Soundlink Mini. Now I love my sister to bits but no way could I afford to get her a Bose so I took the plunge and got the Hive speaker. Its slightly smaller than the Bose but the sound quality is very nearly on par with its more expensive rival, crisp high notes that don't distort, mellow mid range, and a very good amount of down firing bass that you can feel. It has a very warm, soft, rubbery feel to the case that makes it very easy to handle and the "honeycomb" design makes it stand out from the crowd. Pairing up is very simple and it has a very good range, easily covers the length of the house and has enough ooomph in it to fill your average sized room. All in all a very good buy and if I didn't have the Bose I would definitely have one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear sound, strong bass, unique design!, 1 Feb. 2015
Mr. Sutkus (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Absolutely love these speakers! My friend had his similar BOSE speakers with him and I did a comparison between the two. Honestly, the sound is clearer within the Kitsound Hive speakers and the bass pump is so good for such a size! The price is superb and you get more than what you pay for quality wise. Do not be afraid to buy it, the biggest difference I felt between the two speakers were that the BOSE speakers had a slightly (very unnoticable) stronger bass kick and the grip within KS when you place it on the table could be a bit better when on full volume, because on heavier bass tracks it starts moving a bit. But that is not a big problem in my opinion. Would recommend it to anyone! Worth the money! You save a fortune and get excellent quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and sound from a such a small package., 7 Mar. 2015
SmileyPaul (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I use my pocket hive as a speaker for my phone and iPod for work.
The pocket hive was recommended to me by a friend as a replacement for my old work speakers.

The carry case is soft but robust enough to protect the speaker and has a handy little clip on it which is useful to hang it from a belt loop or rucksack.
There's a separate compartment in the top of the case which is big enough to house the 3.5mm aux input cable and a charge cable.

It's small size makes it easy to transport and it takes up next to no room wherever I use it.
It is so compact that It'll be ideal to take to festivals/ camping/ on holiday this year.

The Bluetooth, once setup, pairs quickly with my phone and I use the aux input connected to the phone jack on my iPod.
I haven't had any high pitched buzzing as reported on earlier reviews but my phone automatically pairs even when I use the aux.

The battery is as good as it says in the instructions and after an initial overnight charge I used the speaker for nearly two days without needing to recharge.

When I first tried the speaker I couldn't believe how punchy the sound was!
Considering it's barely 9cm tall and 8cm wide, the power and range of sound is quite simply staggering!
I've tried many different speaker options over the last couple of years and by comparison the Pocket hive Is louder, higher quality but much less expensive.

If a friend has another pocket hive you can link units together using 3.5mm jack to jack cables.... I haven't tried that yet but hope to soon.

All in all a fantastic speaker for the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars KitSound do it again with the Pocket Hive!, 1 Mar. 2015
...every single time that I use the Pocket Hive, I am completely blown away by the high quality that has been packed into such a small size!

The packaging is really fun - the hexagon speaker is in a clear plastic section, and below that is all of the details and specifications. Like all other KitSound products that I've had, I found it incredibly difficult to actually get into the product, but I guess the wait is always worth it. I discovered that as well as a great manual, the Pocket Hive came with a charging cable, an aux cable to connect it to something that didn't have Bluetooth, and a gorgeous soft touch carry case.

I was really eager to listen to my music, and as I always do, I listened to Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' first. I think that listening to the same song first time is always a good way to compare different speakers and headphones. I switched on the Pocket Hive, and the square around the 'ks' in the front flashed blue. It was really simple to connect my phone with Bluetooth, and then the flashing blue light became static.

As soon as I pressed play, I was astounded. The sound was so clear, and so loud! I couldn't believe that much volume could come out of such a small speaker! But what's even better than that is that even with high volume, the sound quality didn't diminish. Cheap tacky speakers often have that problem, but no matter what I listened to, the music sounded amazing.

I was also able to connect the Pocket Hive to my laptop through Bluetooth. It was just as simple, and made watching a film on it so much more enjoyable. The words were clearer, and the sound was much rounder than the tinny speakers of my computer.

The battery life of the Pocket Hive was another unexpected surprise - ten hours! It only takes a couple of hours to charge too, and when it's charging the square around the 'ks' glows red. I particularly liked the fact that when my husband used the Pocket Hive with his laptop and connected it with the cable (his laptop doesn't have Bluetooth) the square glowed purple! Such a nice way to combine them.

I'm a naturally perknickety person, but try as I will I simply cannot find anything to fault the Pocket Hive on. For the price that KitSound are asking, it's a marvel that they've created something so wonderful.