on 23 November 2013
Have found that Top 10 guides are usually spot on if you are visiting a city & have limited time there.
The Miami guide was no exception;-ideal for planning what we wanted to see before we got there & helped us to draw up a rough itinerary to ensure our time was well spent.
The acommpanying map is always a great help.
We don't tend to follow suggestions in the guide for hotels & restaurants as it's much more fun to discover different places for yourself rather than go somewhere that is very busy, probably becauuse it features in the guide.
This is really the only book you need if visiting Miami but if you are touring further afield you will need an additional guide. (We used the Rough guide to Florida). Although the top 10 has information on the Florida Keys & other "nearby" attractions such as the Everglades this is limited. You also need to bear in mind that these places are several hours drive away.
Overall, I was pleased with this top 10 guide. I like the format & will no doubt be purchasing another in the series when I book my next trip.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Restaurants
 Romantic Spots
 Children's Attractions
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 11 November 2013
I usually really like and always try to buy the Top 10 guide books when I'm going on a trip as generally find them concise, pleasant to look at and easy to use - however this one was different unfortunately. It felt like it had been written in a hurry and seemed and bit repetitive and random in the way it was put together. It isn't helped by the fact that the main part of the Keys and Miami are 2 very distinct areas over a hundred miles apart but recommendations are mixed up as if they are in the same area which can be quite misleading. Also, there were a couple of descriptions of restaurants/bars which seemed like they must have been out of date. On the plus side the maps were good and because of my previous good experience with this range I will put it down to a one off and continue to buy them.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format – each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. – even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Restaurants
 Romantic Spots
 Children’s Attractions
(This is some, not all)

This book can’t provide detail – it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me – a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

on 1 August 2013
To anyone that knows these books, this ones just as informative.
The books easy to get around, and covers the main points.
Good buy for the price.
on 19 July 2014
Have a few in this series and wasn't let down. Delivered promptly
on 24 January 2016
Cant beat Dorling Kindersley Top 10 books.
on 21 August 2014
Excellent for such a small book.
on 25 May 2015
Great planning
on 4 March 2013
I was hoping for more information about the Keys, quite limited. Can't acccurately review the guide as I have yet to go to Miami!