1,012 Reviews

2,327 of 2,397 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet for the price
Published 17 months ago by Sajad Jiyad

3.0 out of 5 stars Good points and bad. Depends on your priorities
I've now lived with my Kindle Fire HD for a year so I've decided that I can give it a fair review now.

I had previously used an ipad (through work) so I liked the idea of a tablet but wasn't willing to pay out huge money for an apple product and after a lot of back and forth I chose the Kindle Fire HD over the Google Nexus.

So, what's good and what's...
Published 8 months ago by adrianabanana

2,327 of 2,397 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet for the price, 13 Mar 2013
Sajad Jiyad (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers (Electronics)
I purchased this from the US before the UK version came out and I'm glad I opted for the larger 8.9 inch version than the smaller 7 inch Fire HD as there is a marked increase in resolution and screen real estate (this is better than full 1080 HD). I also have an iPad 4 and this review is based on a comparison of the two tablets as I believe they are the top two (Samsung Tab would be number 3) in the market.

Size and build quality: I like that this is slightly smaller than the iPad and most importantly it weighs quite a bit less, helping you to hold it with one hand (not for too long though). Obviously the screen is the most important aspect and being made of glass you will always worry about it breaking on a fall (get a case!) but it looks well put together and nothing feels as if it is made from cheap plastic/other materials. Has a solid feel when you pick it up but definitely not as heavy and bulky as the iPad (Kindle feels thinner). Kindle wins on this one.

Display: Almost perfect colour reproduction, text clarity and video. You will not notice anything deficient in the display, it performs excellently with everything thrown at it. I like to read books at night in white font on a dark background and then switch to the browser with dark text and white background and have never had any issues when making the switch instantly. Likewise watching movies, even something like 'The Dark Knight' which has very dark scenes was perfectly well reproduced with no discernible difference from a TV (provided you use the HD version of a movie). As there is a built-in mini HDMI port you can connect the Kindle to a TV and share what is on the screen or play a video which is very handy. The ONLY slight negative is that the iPad retina display just has that added wow factor that means I always favour its display to others, because of the higher resolution and technology which reduces the layers to make the screen sharper. In all though there is not much to choose between the two for 99.999% of people and uses.

Audio: Definitely a winner here, the stereo speakers pack more punch than you think and is definitely the better performer when compared to the iPad. Obviously not as good as a state of the art hi-fi system but for a mobile device this is as good as it gets. Mid-range is good and audio comes across with great clarity, you won't get distortion unless playing something crazy from YouTube. Kindle wins here.

Wifi/Browser: I got the wifi version (16gb) and can honestly say it holds a signal better than the iPad 1-3 but no difference with the iPad 4. The web browser is not as snappy and the system runs slightly slower than the iPad but you will only notice that if you are running them side by side, otherwise it's pretty fast on all fronts. Obviously no flash, but the web browser does the business, maybe lags slightly behind Safari and Chrome but not noticeably.

Books: Because the screen is of high quality reading is a pleasure and the integration with the Amazon store is brilliant so you can find books and download very quickly. Text can be enlarged and fonts changed to suit your reading style, no reason why ebooks cannot be compared to normal books now in terms of how you read the text. Page turning animation makes it feel like you are reading a paper book and the fact that you can switch to another title so quickly means you are now truly in control of a library. Performs as well as the iPad in this regard.

Apps/games: Don't respond as quick as the iPad nor are there as many choices, but should have everything you would use regularly. I can't say the store experience is better than Apple either but it did feel that this will only improve with time. iOS is ahead here.

Bluetooth: Connected to headphones just fine and played music in stereo, can also be used to connect a keyboard which is a better option for productivity (see below). Worked with a bluetooth headset as well when making Skype calls.

Email/typing: Touchscreens are not well regarded for either use and this is the case here, not good for more than a few lines and you will get regular errors. The iPad is the better performer here as the keyboard is organised better (and better spaced) and less errors are made. Kindle behind here.

Battery life: The 10 hour claim is about right, obviously reading a book in plain text works the tablet less than say a video and you will get more use out of it that way. It doesn't get as hot as the iPad so definitely an advantage here with roughly the same running time. Only a USB charger is supplied which is a definite negative as it takes well over 12 hours to charge fully from a USB port. The iPad has a wall charger so Kindle is behind here considering you need to pay 13 to get one.

Camera: front facing camera is not as good as on the iPad but does the job for Skype calls and any other apps that require video. Definitely not for taking photos. There is no rear camera, so the iPad wins on this front.

Memory: 16gb was fine for me and the Amazon cloud storage should cover you for most of the future purchases (it only covers Amazon purchases and content, other content will eat up your free allowance). Books don't use up much storage space, so you should get in well over 2,000 books on this without a problem.

Price: Around 170 cheaper than the iPad and definitely more value for what you get, hands down winner on that. Buying from the US was quite a lot cheaper than what it is being sold for in the UK. At 229 I think that Kindle Fire HD 8.9 offers the best features/price ratio against major rivals and makes it easier to justify the purchase for this sort of device.

In summary, this is a very good tablet, number 1 for me if price is factored in. Minor gripes about the charger not being included, ads being intrusive sometimes (you can pay 10 extra to get rid of them) and app store still weak compared to iOS do not really affect the device overall. If you are picky you will knock off one star (especially if you compare to iPad 4) but most people will be very happy to pick up a high quality tab for 229. In conclusion, best tablet for the price and if this is your first one then you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good points and bad. Depends on your priorities, 1 Jan 2014

So, what's good and what's bad?

Well, what it does it does really well: amazing picture quality, great sound, easy to navigate. As a long-time Amazon Prime user downloading and reading books and watching films through Love Film is a breeze. It's perfect for Skype-ing with far away friends and browsing through Pinterest.

But, and it's a massive but, the product is totally let down, for me at least, by the lack of availability of apps and difficulty transferring music etc from other platforms.

When I followed the instructions to copy my music library from itunes, the idea being that this would all but replace my ipod touch, only around 3% of my music was accepted by the Kindle (I still don't know why - it wasn't a memory issue). And I couldn't transfer movies so I'm stuck watching what Love Film tells me I can watch.

Even worse was not being able to have all the apps I wanted that are available on Apple and Android platforms. BBC iplayer is brilliant on the Kindle because of the sound and picture quality, but there is no 4OD, no ITV Player, no Sky Go which is limiting.

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen an app mentioned in a magazine article, gone to try and download it on the Kindle and discovered it's not available.

All of which means that instead of becoming what it was supposed to be become: a replacement for other gadgets, it's become another gadget to add to the pile. I understand there are ways of 'side loading' android apps via a smart phone, but it's complicated and time consuming and that's not what I wanted - tablets are meant to make life easier.

Ultimately, for all the good points, I would not make the same choice again and when the time comes to upgrade I think I'll be looking elsewhere which is a shame. For some people it'll be perfect, but for many others I suspect a bit of a let down, especially when there are a range of better options in the same price bracket.

4.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT tablet, just minor bug bears that are easy to live with., 13 Mar 2013
James (Highbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am very glad these are now available in the UK. I got one using xmas money from a British eBay seller that had bought some from America. I went the extra mile to get the 8.9" version because of what I would use it for, it is definitely worth it if you are an avid video watcher as the bigger screen makes all the difference. I think it is a good size for a tablet it's not too big and heavy yet also not too small that you want to bring it closer.

As for the tablet itself, it gets 4 stars. The screen is brilliant, the sound is also very impressive, they don't understate that. There is a little distortion at full volume but taking it down 2 notches takes that away without it being much quieter, then if you put it on a flat surface like a table the volume will be louder and fuller again. Web browsing is perfectly fine apart from skipping vids streamed from the net, expect Silk to stop responding a few times if you keep trying.

Battery life is excellent, I have an external battery as I travel a lot but I haven't had to use it so far. Reading is a joy on the Kindle Fire and I would definitely say it is the best tablet for this, amazon developed the eReader after all. Watching movies is really top quality on this, so too is listening to music.

As for using it, it's dead simple. The offers are very easy to just ignore (buy the no offers one if you want). It doesn't take much explaining and does everything you need it to. Some people whine that they have to press the screen a few more times to get somewhere, big deal it only takes a few seconds and of course the effort is exhausting. There aren't many apps, amazon has the smallest app store so far. Everything you need is on there but I found the APK file to download Google apps on my laptop, transfer and then install using ES File Explorer. Takes a little research but really opens up what I think is the Kindle Fire's biggest downpoint. Some people also whine that there is no rear facing camera, I don't use tablets to take photos so I don't miss it. If you are adamant about a rear facing camera then choose something else.

Final notes really. The mini HDMI port is a very welcome bonus. Be careful the free Cloud storage is for Amazon content ONLY and there's no kind of SD slot to expand. 16GB should be enough for most people, heavier users should probably get the 32GB. I've found that mine can take a little while to wake up occasionally so don't be surprised if that happens, and the Appstore is very slow. If you already have a plug that the USB will fit into don't get the PowerFast charger as it charges fast enough already. PLEASE DON'T BUY ACCESSORIES OFF AMAZON. I got a perfect leather case, stylus and screen protector pack for 9 on eBay whereas the cheapest accessory here is nearly twice that. Sorry Amazon but you know it's true.

Overall Amazon have done a very good job, certainly offering more value for money than pretty much everyone else. This tablet is not for everyone but I would definitely recommend it.

For me 8.5/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 5 April 2014
Mr. P. M. Edwards "xwards" (England) - See all my reviews
I have had been using my Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for three months now, having received it as a gift for Christmas 2013. I previously had a Nexus 7 that I have given to my son as I was after something with a bigger screen.

It's a very different experience to using other Android devices. The carousel is a unique, albeit sometimes frustrating feature. It is nice to have quick access to your favourites but it jumps around a lot; new or recently used apps move straight to the start so if you'd like to have things in a set order you'll find this annoying.

There are definite positives to using this tablet. The screen is phenomenal. Crisp, clean and bright for video and games. There is no doubt that it stands out among the crowd for visual potential.

The price and choice of books are second to none and the X Ray feature when reading is also very good. X Ray highlights certain aspects on the page such as character names and location etc, then links you to web sites such as Wikipedia for more information. It's good for getting an idea of context in your reading and it's the single most impressive function of the Kindle Fire for me. The X Ray function also works on film and makes use of IMDB etc.

The music is also well priced and sounds good through speakers or headphones – although I don't think that the sound is as much of a stand out function as Amazon makes it out to be.

Now the negative. I have found this tablet hugely frustrating at times.

It is nowhere near as intuitive to use as the Nexus 7. The carousel function looks nice at first but in practise I have found myself going to the individual Device menus to access my content. I like to know where things are and where I'm going to to get them; if you're reading a few books, playing a few games, listening to a few albums then you are constantly back and forth

The content itself is another problem. It has way less content than the Google Play store and some surprising absences – Instagram for example isn't available. You Tube is missing and doesn't work on the browser either. You notice the difference especially as a gamer which is a shame because the screen is so good but misses out on so much. A bad experience I had involved the indie game 'The Cave'. I bought this from the main Amazon website when I was at work, but when I got home I couldn't see it anywhere on my Kindle Fire. Checking it on my S3 the game was there and downloaded/worked fine but to this day 'The Cave' is not in the games section of the Kindle Fire HD. This apparently is to do with the device itself not being compatible with the game – so you can buy it on your phone or laptop but it won't work on the Amazon device? This is poor and something Amazon needs to sort out and sort out quickly. Finding certain content was also an issue for me. I know that Kindle sells an electronic copy of the London Review of Books but couldn't find it under either Newsstand or Books and had to go a general search for the store to find it. If I didn't already know that the LRB was on Kindle, I'd have missed out.

The screen, while being excellent for games and film, is poor for reading. There is just too much glare to enjoy your books for a sustained amount of time. You can change the book in the settings menu to turn the background a more-page like yellow but I didn't notice the difference. I soon went back to the old Kindle Keyboard in light of this. My Kindle Keyboard has a huge grey bar across the top of the screen that obscures two lines of every page, but I'd still rather use that than get eye-ache from reading on this.

Amazon now has the 'Prime' Video-on-Demand service, with it's other benefits such as lending library etc. I like the idea of this function but it's a high one-off fee service. I'd prefer if this was a monthly fee because as it is Prime is financially out of reach for me at the moment. You can also buy and rent newer films now, the price is Comparable to Google Play store, but at this stage I don't know why I would. Everything so far is moving me away from the device, I'm starting to think I don't want my films in Amazon's Cloud.

Then there is a Silk browser. Silk is the single worst browsing experience I have had in fifteen years. It is a terrible piece of software. Seldom can I make it through ten minutes without it freezing or crashing the device. So many web sites have random buttons that don't work or images that don't load or video that won't play. There are no other browsers in the Amazon App store to replace Silk, it's as if Amazon want you to use this garbage exclusively. Being an Android tablet, you can side-load other browsers quite easily but 1) You shouldn't have to and 2) They still don't function perfectly. I got Firefox 24 installed which was a huge improvement but, for example, if you're trying to use the Asda Direct website the 'Add to Basket' button doesn't work – so you can't buy anything. That happens across several sites. The Kindle Fire HD is a very weak browsing experience which is a big loss for a Tablet.

Overall I have found myself going back to phone, laptop and e-reader out of both necessity and disappointment with this tablet. Seeing as this was bought to replace all three of them it can only be considered a failure. It's a shame because for me it's all software; the hardware is amazing. Hopefully soon some clever dick will flash it and allow us to get the real potential out of the device itself and ditch all the junk that comes with it. Until then, my Kindle Fire HD is going to be gathering dust in a draw somewhere from now on. I do miss the Nexus 7 I had before and, in light of using that and the Galaxy S3, I can appreciate just how much better Google and Samsung are doing this sort of thing right now. If I had the choice again in light of my three month experience with the Kindle Fire HD it would be Nexus 10 or Tab 2/3 10.1 for certain.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Machine, 24 May 2013
Ordered on Wednesday arried Thursday well packaged arrived on time before 1 oclock as required.
Unpacked the tablet and it looked the business, pressed the on button and hey pressto it was working a few instructions to follow but quite easy to set up.
I bought my Kindle Fire HD to replace a tablet that broke after just two months this was sent to be repaired under the warranty but was sent back with the expanation beyond repair unable to get a replacement from the company warranty took seven weeks without a tablet to finally get a refund so don't Go Clever go Kindle.
Using the Kindle is a dream it will do everything without any problems I have had it and used it now for a week First thing I noticed was the lack of things I wanted to use Like ITV player and 4 od they say that these are not available on the Kindle not the case after a little investigation both are up and running.
To get these working is quite easy.
Go to lovemyfire.com from the site you can download the two files you need the Flash player 11.1 and Dolphin browers.
You will need Flash player to make things work its very very simple to do from the site download the files open your ES file manager click on download files and you will see the two files from there install them.(The one thing you need to do is in your kindle settings click Allow instalation of Applications)
The reason for the Dolphin Browser is Google Bing and other browsers do not support Flash (this is Adobe not supporting these its not only Kindle but all tablets using these browsers)
Dolphin is a good browser and supports Flash but I went for Firefox Mobile Browser This can be installed from the Firefox web site to your computer and sideloaded to your kindle using your USB cable supplied this will be in your ES file manager for intallation install it and use it away you go.
when using Fire fox or Dolphin in the top right you will see three bar icone click select Request desktop site Enjoy ITV player 4od and 5 on demand (5 0ndemand can be used from the You tube only as there are copy write issues with on mobile devices)
I can state that the Kindle Fire Hd 8.9 ia a good looker a tablet that will please everyone.
The Kindle Fire will work everywhere inside outside and in the Garden shed the Wifi system is the best I have used it works in all rooms inside with out any boosters I would give this 10 out of 10 it works great no drop out.
If you like films it comes with Love film free for a month I use Netflix and just downloaded the app from Amazon app store free and it worked first time with no problems, you can get BBC iplayer Catch up Tv Film on tv Crackle all in the
Amazon app store for Free.
Buying the Kindle Fire Hd was the best thing I did it a tablet that does everything is says on the tin download Wifi transfer app fron the store and open up a new world of file sharing.
If theres a downside this is it you will need the Kindle Charger this will charge your tablet in less time if you want to use the kindle on your HDTV you will need a HDMI cable.
In closing don`t be put off by the kindle not having a ext sd slot you will not need one use the cloud it good and free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD 8.9, 5 Aug 2013
Watch out Apple you have some real competition at a fraction of the price. Well done Kindle. it is fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB, 11 Oct 2013
FABULOUS - a gift to my husband and this Kindle Fire HD is a computer to take everywhere. Easy to operate (I'm a pensioner).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet for Amazon Digital Content, 14 April 2013
NickB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great tablet for consuming Amazon digital content. If you want to do much more than that there are probably better options.

If you have LoveFilm Instant, Audible audiobooks and mp3s from Amazon and use Amazon cloud storage then this is a great choice. It also displays eBooks from Amazon but I would recommend reading them using a Kindle with an e-ink display which is much lighter, has a longer battery life and is less strain on the eyes.

Which tablet you choose for consuming digital content probably will probably depend on who you buy from (Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft etc). The Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 seemed to be the logical choice for me as I already have a e-ink Kindle and use all of Amazon's digital content services.

I considered buying the Google Nexus 10 which is almost certainly a better system but it is more expensive. The Nexus has a 5MP rear facing camera and GPS which I would never use (most people would use a camera or smart phone). The money saved by choosing the Kindle Fire HD could go on a LoveFilm or Audible subscription or be used to buy an e-ink Kindle, e-books or mp3s.

The screen on the device is really nice. HD content from Lovefilm looks good. It is also very good for viewing PDF documents designed for A4 printing. I also use the device for storing and displaying my photographs (I downloaded a couple of apps which are better than the built in photo application). The HDMI output works well when connected to a HD TV. The device also works well as an Internet radio with a free app from the app store. Take note of the weight of the device (567g) and consider how you will be using it. I bought a case which can work as a stand. One problems is that some apps only work in portrait mode and the case I purchased only works as a stand in landscape mode. Another annoyance is that the USB connector is on the bottom of the device when it is in landscape mode and cannot be used for charging the device when the case is used as stand. The WiFi works very well and performs better than my laptop. There may be situations where being able to use the 5GHz band for WiFi is an advantage.

Netflix and the BCC iPlayer don't seem give HD content currently but this is probably the same for all Android devices. Flash support is missing due to Adobe dropping support for Android devices but if you search on the Internet you can find a way to install flash on the system (but Demand Five does not work).

The web browsing experience is OK but not as good as a laptop. It is possible to install Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome but the standard Silk browser is OK.

The device loses a star because of the modified Android OS and the Amazon App Store which is missing applications I wanted to install but there are other ways of getting most of the apps which are available for Android. There are however some apps which are only available for iPads but I can manage without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot recommend highly enough - Amazon perfection yet again!, 31 May 2013
Buy it now - you will NOT regret it - I was hooked after the first couple of hours and my lap top has only been switched on once since I received my Kindle 4 weeks ago!

As I purchased a new lap top last September I debated over spending more money on a Kindle Fire but after speaking to a few people and reading the very helpful positive and negative reviews on Amazon I decided to go ahead and I am SO glad that I did.

The Kindle Fire was the only tablet I considered as I wanted a reasonable sized screen at a reasonable price and one that was easily portable. The fact that it's linked to my Amazon account has proved to be ideal.

I had limited experience of touch screen products so hoped I would get on ok - this is so easy to use even if what you want to touch is very small, it's so accurate. It is the easiest product to use and I keep discovering new things I can do with the Kindle, it has unlimited uses!

It's so easy to set up - not very much you need to do other than personalise it with your own downlaods and shortcuts etc. and it was even partially charged so I could strat using it immediately. The screen is amazing, great, clear pictures, videos are so clear etc.

I knew I wanted to purchase the larger size and I am VERY pleased with it. Yes it is quite heavy but is still so portable and you can lean it against your body to use or purchase a cover which allows it to stand landscape and potrait (see Marware revolve standing case which I have reviewed and is invaluable).

I took the advice of an online reviewer and purchased the 16GB version which can apparently hold 2000 books and also paid the 10 to lose the adverts - both good choices I think as was the charger so that it can be plugged into a wall socket to charge, easier than charging via a computer and faster.

It's fab for internet use, starts up very quickly or can be left on and then wakes up almost immediately. Downloads are ultra fast and ready to use within less than a minute. The online guides are great and all of my queries have been answered this way.

Couple of slight negatives - I have only partially read one book on the Kindle and I'm not sure I like it for this although it may have been the book so I will need to try again although this was not the main reason for my purchase. I have used it in the garden loads of times, very portable but the screen cannot be seen in bright sunlight even when I use the auto brightness function. I had understood this would be possible but perhaps it is the version for reading only that has this ability??? Easy enought to move out of direct sunlight though and the screen can then be read without any problem.

Does not last for the stated 10 hours without being re-charged - it might do if all you are doing is reading but not for anything else. It does have plenty of life in it - probably around 5-6 hours on average depending on what you are using it for and it can be used whilst re-charging if you are close enough to a socket of course!

Do not let that put you off buying, you will not regret it and I cannot recommend the Kindle highly enough. What did I do before my Kindle / what would I do without it!! Amazon perfection yet again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy., 15 Sep 2013
M. MacInnes - See all my reviews
Very pleased with purchase. Working well.
Only observation : I recommend a longer battery-life from each recharge.
Delivery on time, as usual.