Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 17 December 2013
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. The script of the film - when oh when are we going to get the actual film? - is totally gripping. Lots of it is actually funny - when it's not being downright tragic. You're just thinking...'Guys...what are you doooing?!' Like Chris Salewicz says in his intro I think The Clash must have just gone nuts to break up when they were probably the best band and the most successful in the world. Mick Jones says pretty much that.

I reckon Pearl Harbour is the one who really understand the whole thing. She was Paul Simenon's girlfriend at the time so had a ringside seat. She's so cool too and kind of razor sharp. After a lot of chaotic scenes, old Pearl suddenly comes out with this perfect observation and you just think yeah, of course!

The Clash II stuff is particularly funny and sad. Some of the new guys are just drunks and everyone's dead fed up the whole time. Poor Joe Strummer though, you certainly feel for him... even though you also kind of think, Joe, this is maybe partly your own fault.

The first part of the book is a quirky idea. It's the filmmaker, Danny Garcia's, story of how he got to meet the main Clash people - best of all he got to spend two weeks with Mick Jones. I really liked the bit when he goes feeding ducks with Bernie Rhodes, The Clash's mad bad manager. Hilarious.

The photos are great but the printer could have done a better job quality wise on a couple of the photos that's my only criticism but don't let that put you off. If you're thinking of getting it I would definitely recommend it.

Djanga J
on 6 April 2015
This book is a mixed bag. It is written in a very incoherent style, the first part is an account of how a film about The Clash was made, a film that as far as I know didn't actually ever get made. It is just accounts of various chats. The saving grace is the subject and the characters. At first I thought as I jumped from talk to talk, that this isn't very interesting but in no time I was lost in the book. Same for the second part, which is the script of the film. More about the conversations. Same again, I thought this is a drag but in no time I had to find out what came next. The story of the Clash breakup is intriguing and sad if somewhat inevitable. I reckon the film if ever finished would be well worth viewing. So buy it if you are a Clash fan or if you were part of the Ladbroke grove punk scene it is very readable despite itself
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2012
Well...once again...i just couldn't wait........not sure i am into this kindle lark....i do love the feel of real paper and turning a page........the "flick" is new to me...
Ordered the luddite version as well as kindle...because i just had to start this one right away.

So........what do we get........a fantastic portrait shot of Joe on the cover........never seen that one before,!,,
First part is the story of how the film was made....the trials and tribulations.....blown out interviews...email rows with Bernie Rhodes......a lot of people willing to chip in......and some who would not.....
I was privilidged to see the film ...where else...under the westway...in the summer......i queued up and paid a fiver...just like the old days.....no online booking nonsense..and exorbitant fees....
It was an event for me...as many of the film..and now book contributors were there...authors,blockheads,bandmates..collaborators, punks pimps and good time girls.
So it is good to read about how it got from idea to celluloid....if that is what folks still use.......

Middle section.......forgive me i am digitally disorientated.....can't wait for my paper version...
We get some b and w pics.....some i have seen before,..and a few not....like the clash mark 2 publicity shots...but most have been issued as record company press photos i believe.
Special mention to JOE STRENO...who has a few pics published here.......he has some fantastic pictures...originally colour shots of live stuff...and the ones here reproduced in black and white.
He has loads of great pictures and last time i heard...looking for some backing to get a photo book out....maybe he should try a "book pledge" you would not be disappointed..

Third section......is the transcript from the film with all the quotes and transcript of the film...which has some revealing and honest stuff in there.
I guess if you haven't seen the film already...even more informing...What is interesting about this also is there are some names I am not familiar with....who all played their part in The Story of the Clash.....so all interesting stuff

Ok....so thee we have it....crazy that the dvd is only out in japan so far.......maybe the book and dvd tie in would have been good.....but if like me you are skint after christmas......best to stagger it a bit..

So one important question raised by the author/film maker........can there be another book about the clash....and it is a valid question.....i have read them all...i think.....but what else can be done......i see another one on amazon due in 2013.......I fear only a Mick Jones autobiography would give us anything like some horses mouth info...i don't think Paul is interested!!!!!!!!

So...two further plugs for new years reading.....another great historical picture collection....
A Permanent Record: Joe Strummer with The 101'ers/Clash/Latino Rockabilly War/+The Slits

And... there is a new version of this mighty fine book about JS and the mescies....with a whole section of fan stories...and updated......it is not on amazon yet...but is well worth investing in.....(mines a pint Ant.....!!!!!!!)
Joe Strummer and the "Mescaleros": Vision of a Homeland

OK...Forgive my ramblings...this book is also "essential clash".......it goes along with the Out of Control: The Last Days of "The Clash" book as important historical data for Clash-ademics.....
Buy or die..........
Breaking breaking...this news just in.....
Dvd of the film now out in japan...review here if you search in films and tv...you should find it..
on 26 September 2013
read reviews posted on Amazon.com - dunno why they don't put them on our marketplace but click here you should be able to read them:
review image
on 29 April 2016
The book - even the Kindle version - flows far better than it's somewhat disjointed and disappointing film namesake that it recounts
on 26 March 2016
Great book and a labour of love for the greatest band ever well done Mr Garcia vive the Clash
on 12 November 2014
good read
on 19 January 2014
Well, its OK, but doesn't give much more info than most obsessives know. The Vince White book is much better.