5.0 out of 5 stars The war on rats is here
Dogboy lives in the dump with his best friend Caz. He earns pennies to feed them both by assisting the rat-catcher Bill Grubstaff. When he is offered work by a local scientist, he is soon drawn into a plot to declare war on rats. Below ground the rats are mourning the loss of their king and preparing to crown his successor. Young taster Efren, goes against the rules of...
Published 24 months ago by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Rat lovers, beware
I think I've noticed a trend in the other reviews here. Those who score it highly seem to be unfamiliar with rats, and they're intrigued and surprised by the appealingly complex social creatures who emerge from Blacker's portrayal of rat society, which combines good research and rich imagination. Those who score the book low, however, already loved rats, and were thus...
Published 16 months ago by Elinor Rooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enthralling, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
This tale of the relationship between rats and humans, from the perspective of both, had me captivated from the beginning. My only reservations were that the pit fight scene in the pub went on for too long, and that the Twyning didn't play as much of a role as its apparent importance in rat culture, and use as the title, lead you to expect. Not for young children or the squeamish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bloodthirsty for an animal lover, 25 Feb 2013
Eventfulfire (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
The Twyning is a book about the rats war with humans.

Firstly, I have to say that I can NOT abide cruelty to animals. I know this a book about war, but it really doesn't have to include half the "sport" stuff that it does, for as long as intricately detailed it is. This really didn't settle well with me, which is a real shame, as the actual context of the book and the interactions between the rat community is inventive and highly intriguing.

I didn't really understand the concept (or the reason) for the Twyning itself, as most of the book is centred around the male and female child characters, who are well written and personable when you get used to them, as is Efren the "lead" rat in the book.

Sadly, this is less a book about a rat war and more a reason to kill hundreds of thousands of harmless creatures by use of the written word and therefore is the reason I struggled to get to the end of this otherwise interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
A refreshing and imaginative story with a difference, many of the main character these are rats. A tale of hope and friendship in a realistic Victorian back drop of poverty and hardship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The swift changes between the human world and the rat world pulled me in and kept me wanting to know what was coming next. A great way of showing how similar we really all are when put in a difficult situation. I certainly felt sympathetic towards the humans but could also empathize with the rats.

As happy as I was with the ending I was also saddened that such a brilliant book had come to an end. Might have to go and find my own Efron now. I will never think of rats in the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Loved it. I do love animal stories anyway so was drawn to this - and years ago I had pet rats!

This story was great. I loved the two parallel story lines, the characters were well-drawn, the settings were well-drawn as well. It was all so very believable.

I get the references to Watership Down but also it reminded me in some ways of the Duncton Wood stories.

Happy to recommend this to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Differently refreshing, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Such a good story where your heart goes out to the rats as people. so cleaverly written and well worth buying i read it in a day i was so hooked. From Sharon of London

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read for any animal lover, 16 Feb 2013
Mrs. Nicole A. Graves (South Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Once I started reading this book I just had to finish it. There is more than one story being told and I loved the way they interacted . Peter and Bill, Peter and Cath, Efren and Cath, and so on . Very clever and very entertaining and what a lovely ending ! Thank you Terence Blacker .

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Really great to read something different and imaginative also with the 2 main character's stories running parallel. Will probably look at rats differently now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 15 Feb 2013
noteworthy (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Wow. I bought this book on a Kindle daily deal and was not sure what to expect. I noted the mention of a similarity to Watership Down and as this had been one of my favourite books I looked forward to reading The Twyning. It gives an insight into the social structure of a colony of rats and makes a comparison between the rats and humans. We are not that much different really - both can be cruel and thoughtless but can also be loving and compassionate. It is wonderful to see the relationship between Dogboy and Caz (The child humans) and between Efran and Malaika (the rats) and to see how their relationships become entwined so that when the going gets really tough they work together to help each other. This book is totally intriguing and I could not put it down. Well worth a read - you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Twyning (Kindle Edition)
Well told and well written, this dark but hopeful tale will delight children of all ages, as "all is bad that ends well". It merges the classic story of a couple of Dickensian orphans who face terrible hardships but finally emerge triumphant, with a foray into the "fantasy-land" of antropomorphised rats who can talk to each other (and to some humans) through some sort of telepathy (or "revealing", as it is called in the book). The main characters, whether human or beast, are so expertly drawn that you cannot help but be interested in their fates. I was so engrossed in the story for 2 days that I almost missed my train station - twice!

The Twyning