4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not without flaws
I bought this mouse to replace my old Logitech G9, below is my review:

Looks
Published 15 months ago by Max V.

3.0 out of 5 stars The ergonomic shape is perfect but it was too small and too light for ...
Only 3 stars worth if you have big hands and your style is palm grip. The ergonomic shape is perfect but it was too small and too light for me.
For small and medium hands this may very well be the perfect mouse. The functionality is excellent.
Published 8 months ago by George

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not without flaws, 25 Jan. 2014
Max V. (Noord-Holland, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mionix Naos 8200 Laser PC USB Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
I bought this mouse to replace my old Logitech G9, below is my review:

Looks
I think the mouse itself looks really good. It has a smooth, matte black rubber coating all around it and an illuminated logo, as well as LEDs showing the current DPI level and an LED behind the scroll wheel (which unfortunately isn't diffused properly when looking at it from certain angles). All of this makes for a sober look, but not a dull one, courtesy of the multicolour LEDs. It has notches on the right side of the mouse, one for your pinkie and one for your ring finger. It might initially look like quite a big mouse, but it isn't really. It is as long as my old G9, a bit wider (mainly because of the finger rests) and with a lower hump.

Features
It has the new Avago 9800 sensor, which supports DPI settings up to 8200 and Omron switches. It features polling rates up to 1000hz, an adjustable lift distance (the distance between your mouse and the surface at which the sensor stops tracking movements), S.Q.A.T. (Surface Quality Analyser Tool, which is used to calibrate the mouse for use on a specific surface) and multicolour LEDs. It features two thumb buttons and two DPI buttons and that's it as far as extra buttons go. There is no weight-tuning present.

Software
The driver itself is not included in the packaging and you'll have to download it from the Mionix site. It is a small download (12.1MB) and doesn't have any impact on system performance. In the driver you can assign different functions and macros to the buttons. The only function I missed was a sniper button (a button that temporarily lowers the DPI). You can also change the double-click speed, scroll speed, pointer acceleration, polling rate (125/250/500/1000hz), and pointer speed. There is also an option select the lift-off distance and the Surface Quality Analyser Tool, but I personally didn't like the way the mouse behaved with it enabled.

And lastly there are the LED setting, which are quite expansive. Apart from picking the colour and turning them on and off, there are also some other options. You can for example choose different colours for the different LED areas on the mouse, on turn some of them off completely. There are also three different LED effects: blinking, pulsating and breathing, as well as a colour shift mode. All very fancy, but in the end just a fun gimmick.

The software is easy to use and can store up to 5 different profiles.

In use
I really looked forward to having a proper ergonomic mouse. Its ergonomic shape, however, proofed to be its only weakness. I have fairly big hands and this mouse was just too small for me. The curves in the finger rest just weren't in the right place for me, forcing me to stretch my pinkie in a very uncomfortable position, which caused my hand to cramp even after a short while.
During gaming I change from a palmgrip to a clawgrip, but unfortunately thing didn't improve. The place where my pinkie and ring finger rested just didn't feel natural. So I decided to let someone else who has smaller hands try the mouse and she said it was perfect for her. On other problem is that while the coating feels extremely pleasant, it is very smooth and therefore makes it a bit difficult to pick the mouse up. So this mouse might not be the best for low sensitivity gamers, who tend to pick up their mice often.

I decided to try it for a bit longer and found the sensor to be excellent. You can change the DPI settings in 200dpi increments, from a frankly ridiculous 8200 down to a measly 200dpi. I found myself playing at 2600dpi most of the time. I didn't notice any acceleration or delays. I used it on my CM Storm cloth mouse mat and the tracking was flawless. The lift-off distance was excellent as well. I set it at the low setting in the driver and the sensor pretty much stopped tracking to moment I lifted the mouse from the mouse mat.

I was also really pleased with the mouse buttons. The placing of the thumb buttons was good and the click they made very pleasant. Same goes for the two main buttons. They weren't too sensitive nor did they take a lot of force to press and click was very satisfying. Scrolling and clicking with the scroll wheel was just as good, but I did miss a sideways scrolling option.

Conclusion
Unfortunately I just couldn't get used to the shape of this mouse and decided to send it back. Which is unfortunate, since it has a lot going for it. The LED system is nice, if a bit gimmicky. The rubber coating has a very enjoyable texture, but it may be a bit too smooth. The sensor is excellent and the buttons are outstanding. The driver is easy to use and lightweight. It is just such a shame that it has such a specific shape. If you have big hand, you need not apply. If you use anything other than a palmgrip, buy another mouse. But if you have small to medium-sized hands and do use a palmgrip, than this mouse might just be the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 30 April 2014
As far as impressions go, it's a pretty good mouse with with a nice coating, well needed ring-finger rest and nice lights. The DPI/CPI is very fast and can be upgraded from 200 - 8000 (not particularly needed since I doubt anyone who's a casual gamer will go beyond 2000 DPI/CPI and going beyond that will most likely give you tracking issues, which I will get to). The scroll wheel on the mouse isn't that great, it's just a scroll wheel, when you get it you can feel the clicks responsively but after a month or two you'll get like a more bumpy-grindy feeling to it.

But the ergonomics and the sensor are my only gripe with it. Because I'm a teenager with considerably large hands and the mouse isn't shaped that well to them. It's got a very low palm rest and I'm usually left clinging it with my thumb on the side, my ring-finger on the other and this slight dead space under my palm which I feel could have been filled by just tweaking the height of the palm rest a little bit, also I use a claw grip with my hand and it's a bit of a pain to do so with a half-full palm.

And now the DPI. As high as it goes I only use it up to 2000 and you're probably wondering "Then why'd you get the Naos 8000?" Well because I liked the little 3 DPI/CPI light indications on the side. Now at the moment when I'm playing Team Fortress 2 which requires a lot of resting and then going full speed, the mouse can sometimes get a bit juddery because of the tracking which is a pain because when you want to aim to another character, you're stuck like 1-2 seconds with it trying to adjust to where you're trying to move it.

So that's my review. These problems might not apply to some people with smaller hands and a rest grip, with a lower DPI/CPI setting or just casual work. But the texture, the lights and the ring-finger rest on the side overtake the problems for now since I've been using this mouse for 6 months and counting and I'm looking into getting a new mouse because of just personal preferences.

I'd probably give this mouse an 8.5/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to use this mouse!, 20 April 2014
This mouse (as first impressions go) is very high quality and arrived earlier than expected :)
+ Has a 4 layer coat of some really nice rubber which is smooth to the touch and very grippy.
+ The mouse will probably fit all hands (I'm a teenager with medium sized hands and works with it like a charm, I'd go as far to say it's a perfect fit).
+ Has a groove on the right side of the mouse for the ring finger to rest and for the little finger to lean against.
+ The lights are very nice, the defualt light (green) is extremely high quality looking, it has no visible area where you can see the inside of the mouse leaking through the little parts for the lights and there are lots of other programmable lights where you can change to 'pulsating', 'breathing' or 'solid'. I currently have it to 'colour-shift' where it goes through all the different colours throughout the scheme.
+ It has 3 levels for DPI change where you can set it from 200 dots-per-inch to a big and VERY sensitive 8200 dots-per-inch with it's top-range AVAGO sensor! Also the DPI level indicator on the right side of the mouse follows your chosen colour.
+ The right and left click feel are a tad, bit sensitive which aren't a bad thing since you'll most likely get used to it as I am.
+ Nice tefflon feet for effortless glide.
+ Programmable side, 'forward and back' click buttons aswell as the basic 'left, right' buttons and 'mouse wheel' click with scroll.
+Long braided cable with gold-plated usb hook-up.
+ 128kb of on-the-go memory so you can keep your profiles wherever you take your mouse.
+ Precise scroll wheel at high enough point for reach.
+ Nice simple packaging (should've noted that in the start) with all the information about the mouse and
- Requires software from the site when you receive the mouse. They could have included an installation disk for the software or put it in the mouse installation itself. but not a problem :)

So far there are no majour issues with this mouse, it's pretty much near perfect for me :) I'd say it gets my Badass Seal of Approval! I highly reccommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best feeling and ergonomic mouse i have seen FULLSTOP, 24 May 2014
I can say after having this mouse for just over a month it is heavenly to hold and play with.
A great responsive and customisable mouse. Leaving a 1000dpi mouse to this was easy as i could regulate the dpi from 1000-2000-4000-6000-8200.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of hardware, 25 Mar. 2014
After my Func MS-3 was starting to fail (well known problem with the scroll wheel...) I decided to get myself a Naos 8200.

It's great looking and sits very well in my hand, even with better shape than my previous Func mouse.
It works great and I've only been able to find one little thing to nag about. It's a bit too easy to manage to push the scroll-wheel button without meaning to do it. It's probably someone I just need to get used to, but so far it can be a bit annoying especially in when using the Firefox webbrowser.

I've yet to try the software for controlling the colors of the led's etc. but that is just something that is not so important for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable mouse., 29 Mar. 2015
I am not a gamer, so this review just relates to using the mouse for work and web browsing, with the emphasis on comfort. For years I used Logitech mice but ultimately found most of them too high, leading to wrist pains, or too wide, bulky or bulbous at the rear, leading to palm ache. Their lower mice are always too short in length, leaving the palm dragging along the desk which invariably leads to more aches and pains. So I've been searching for something more comfortable and also decided to move back to wired from wireless, as the weight of wireless mice just exacerbates the problem. Apart from comfort my only other basic requirement is browser back/forward buttons.

After much trial and error involving most of the popular branded mice and various ambidextrous styles I finally tried the Mionix Naos 8200 as a last resort. I'd seen it before in favourable reviews but had steered away from it as it looked like it might be another bulky type mouse that would ultimately lead to more hand/wrist strain. However, on trying the mouse and still using it a few months later I can say it is far more comfortable than any I tried previously. The big difference with this mouse is the extra support it provides for the ring and little finger.

As I said at the start I'm not a gamer, so I can't say how it will suit those who have special requirements in that area, but for anyone looking particularly for a comfortable mouse that does the basics very well I highly recommend this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Medium priced mouse., 12 April 2015
A good premium mouse:

The mouse looks the part, not to flashy and quite subtle and professional and the smooth rubber coating is conformable and hard-wearing. it has an LED logo, LEDs showing the DPI level and an LED scroll wheel . The RGB LEDs are a nice feature and the separate LEDs can be programmed different colours.. It has a rest on the right side of the mouse, for your little finger and ring finger. It is a medium sized mouse, smaller than a FUNC-MS3 ( A comparable mouse) but smaller than my old R.A.T 3, unlike these mouses though it has a 8200 DPI sensor, . and has a polling rate of 1000hz, Unlike the lower end Mionx mice, it does not have adjustable weights and may not suit all, however has a customisable lift of distance for twitch shooters and fast reaction games and a poor surface analyser tool that can auto set some settings that are rarely correct, the software (Off Mionx's website) is very customisable and works with all their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit!, 16 April 2014
Extremely pleased with this, I saw others where saying their hand doesn't fit it, But it fits mine perfectly which was my only worry.
I got to say its utterly brilliant in comparison to what i have used before especially for the sale price (£35).

The software is downloaded off the website and its pretty self explanatory.
You can do some nice vanity things with the lighting inside and changing the switch binding is easy as pie.
The build quality is lovely and it has a nice weight to it with the buttons being firm and having a nice responsive click to them, Something i like in my mouse.

I've seen people comment that lasers can be very iffy on the surface they are used on, I'm having no issues and i am using a sketchbook as a mouse mat at the moment.

Their are also some in-depth macro making but i haven't gone into that yet. But it seems relatively easy to set up and easy to link to each profile. So ill be trying this for my Rts's and Moba's

All in all this is an awesome buy, Id say if you are looking at this while its on sale , Take the plunge and go for it. I havnt regretted it since i have brought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and accurate, 8 April 2014
I bought this mouse to replace my Logitech MX Performance, which I still have, but not really use anymore. I find it very comfortable and the support for the fingers on the side works pretty well. It's quite accurate (only really play Diablo 3 tho) and moves smoothly across the mousepad. Using a hard plastic (Func surface 1030) works really well. It's not weight adjustable, but that's not a problem for me. For £35 it's a no-brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good mouse but, not quite right for me., 6 April 2014
Like another recent reviewer, I bought this mouse after a Func MS-3 failed. While it still worked properly, the Func was the best mouse I have ever used and still is. This Mionix mouse is at least the equal of it in most respects, except ergonomics, for me. Unfortunately, although of roughly similar shape, the Mionix does not fit my big hand as well and the shape just doesn't suit me. This is a purely personal thing though and in every other respect this is an excellent mouse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›