on 8 September 2013
This book is a distiller version of the Microsoft Official Academic Curriculum (MOAC) book by the same author (Craig Zacker). The only differences that I can see is that the MOAC book contains a lot of lab-style practical activities in each chapter (this book has none) and is considerably more expensive to the general public. I am college/university lecturer and I used both this book and the MOAC book to pass the 70-410 exam recently along with Windows Server 2012 Inside Out. This particular book by Zacker is a useful study guide for when you haven't got time or the facilities to do the lab exercises and just want to read up on the key learning objectives. I liked the style and pace of the book and the level of detail is satisfactory. This book won't get you through the exam on its own - you will definitely need to supplement your learning with other resources but its worth the money. There is a dearth of Server 2012 books on the market and therefore choice is limited. Be sure to seek out the multiple free learning resourced on the MS learning website as these will help.
on 22 April 2013
I agree that the layout, brevity and focus on the exam topics is very welcome. As usual with these books the test yourself questions never feel quite as challenging as the real MS exams. Following the errata link at the front of the book to correct it was a scary experience - the quantity of errors, and particularly those relating to the test yourself bits, were quite staggering. That said, there isn't much of an alternative.
on 23 February 2013
Book looks good, printing is clear etc, but I have been put off by the technical inaccuracies I have found. If I can find them, how many others exist.
There is a list of acknowledged inaccuracies at [...]
on 19 June 2015
I passed the 70-410 exam recently but after reading this a couple of times, I put it down and went back the main book, the official academic course. The latter is more expanded, and I don't think with Microsoft exams you can know anything less than the full set of information. I found reading / skim reading the fuller version of the book more useful.
on 3 December 2013
I passed it, and used this as my sole study guide, whilst working in a server 2012 datacentre for hands on experience.
on 27 March 2013
Disclaimer: I've only used the electronic version of this book from Safari Books. It was used alongside the Measure-Up Exam preparation kit for the 70-410 exam.

I'm reviewing this book as an IT Professional that's had little exposure to the mechanics of Server technology. As such, this booked seemed appropriate for the first stage of getting the MCSA Qualification in Windows 2012.

Let's have a look at it shall we?

Strengths:
The organisation of the material in this book I found beyond reproach. It's chapter headings match clearly that stated objectives within the 70-410 Certification page. Each section, apart from the GPO Section had three areas to educate you on. I felt this was one of the books strengths, in that Craig has presented subject matter that is directly relevant to the Microsoft exam content.

Another is the simplicity with which information is presented. You read, understand and learn, that's it. This book is intended to teach you how to pass the exam. It's not intended to teach you how to administer Windows 2012.

Weaknesses:
The two criticisms that I would have would be the lack of PowerShell commands / scripts within the publication and the miserly approach to exam questions. One of the massive changes to Windows Server 2012 is the deprecation of tools such as dcpromo.exe, with a massive push to 160+ PowerShell CMDLets.

Overall, a good book that should be taken for what it is, an Exam Reference, not an end to end exhaustive manual on Windows Server 2012.
on 2 April 2014
I've been through loads of Microsoft press books and technical books over the years, and this is one of the easiest to read. I'm sure that most people won't use this as their only exam prep source, but use it in combination with practice tests, courses and technet articles.either way, the book is well laid out, nicely written and very easy to read.
on 10 August 2013
Better then expected. It is a great book to help gain your qualification. Follow the book and you will have no trouble in passing
on 14 May 2013
This book is not a complete guide to installing, configuring and administering Windows Server 2012 day to day. It is however, a great guide to get you through the 70-411 exam. It is written clearly, concisely and covers all the exam objectives in a logical format.

By itself it may not get you over the line - technet and other guides are probably needed - but it is a great reference and I have no regrets buying it. It certainly worked for me.
on 22 February 2013
For a change, a book that isnt bloated by information you dont need for the exam. Studied through the book, while practising on a test server, and passed the exam 1 week later. Hope the next 2 books are similar when they come out