on 12 November 2008
This is the most definitive box set of Marilyn Monroe's movies so far, all films are in alphabetical order, mixing her early, small roles with the starring roles she completed during her short career. There's no form to the set, except to collect as much of them together and market them in an eye catching box consisting of the following films:-

All About Eve
THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH
SOME LIKE IT HOT
THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS
We're Not Married

It's an impressive list but a disapointment not to find The Prince And The Showgirl among the titles or The Asphalt Jungle, as they are available separately and it would have made this set all the more 'Complete'. The DVDs that are here have the extra features that were previously available on disc, they all seem exactly the same as before.
You can't argue with the choice of films though, where else would you find classics like All About Eve, Some Like It Hot, The Misfits, The Seven Year Itch and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? It's a real slice of Hollywood history.
Nice sturdy box decorated with classic images of Marilyn from the early 50s & this timely release would look good under any Christmas tree!
1010 comments|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2012
After seeing how expensive this was in another large dvd company I resigned myself to the fact that I may have to purchase individual dvds of Marilyn Monroe before I could build my collection. Couldn't believe how cheap it was on here! Others had the issue with the dvds being in alphabetical order and not in the order of the years they were filmed well I fixed that myself and just put them in order in the boxes no problem! It would have been better if Prince and the Showgirl was one of the movies included but that was ok I purchased it for a cheap price on its own. Overall im very happy with it :)
on 24 May 2009
I got this to have all my favourite Marilyn films collected together in a space-saving and attractive box.

The featured films are well chosen, and diverse enough to give a full taste of her career.

I believe Marilyn was at her best when using her remarkable screen presence and outstanding comedic flair, under the guiding hand of a talented director, and bouncing off a well-known cast to create movie magic, whilst dressed to perfection by designers such as Travilla and Orry Kelly. Which is why my personal favourites are Some Like It Hot, The Seven Year Itch and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Every disc has a bonus feature or two. Trailers, restoration comparisons, lobby cards, newsreels. More than enough to please the casual fan.

Inside the box are three thick clamshell cases - each with a different picture of Marilyn on. So far, so good. They look nice, and mine appear to be fairly well put together. Now comes what is the first downside for me: Inside each of these cases are 5 or 6 discs with the same image as their respective clamshell case. So 6 discs have one picture, 6 have another picture, and 5 have the third picture. They look nice, and there's a consistency, but the image on the disc doesn't refer to the film itself. It's just a small detail, but I imagine that many people may find this irritating - I know I do!

There is a booklet inside, with details of the films (year, running time, etc). Again it looks nice. The only things that let it down compared to "The Diamond Collection" are the quality of paper used, and (again, just a small detail ) I would have liked to have seen some Chapter Listings included. I'd have liked a slightly larger box, containing a slimline plastic case for each film, with the same cover as the individual films (such as in The Alfred Hitchcock collection). This would have made them more resistant to wear and tear, and got all the information on! That's why I only give a four-stars for a five-star collection of films.

In all though, this is as comprehensive a collection as you could ask for, with films that can be watched again and again. If any of these titles aren't on your shelf already, I would definitely invest!
review image review image review image
on 20 August 2011
The box is beautiful and the film selection the best of any box I've seen that is not a complete collection. Image quality varies depending on the movies but altogether it's very decent. Contains classics as well as less know films worthy of a watch.
on 2 December 2011
Package arrived early, in pristine condition, with exactly what it says in the title.
Bought for my sister, a lover of old classics, and she's watched all of them multiple times.
Pleased with this collection as it contained some of her favourites from Miss Monroe - although one disk has her appearing as a minor role, and I mean she appears for only a few minutes on the entire film.
Recommend this to anyone with a soft spot for the amazing actress!
on 24 January 2010
This collection was an absolute bargain, containing many early films as well as the more famous. Watching the films you can see the progression of Marilyn as an actress. I love Marilyn Monroe and am fascinated by her life story. I feel that if you are a Marilyn fan then this will satiate your desire for her work. You may have to buy, I think, one extra film to complete the collection, but that in itself is no hardship.
on 6 January 2015
The most complete Marilyn movie boxset around, there are few movies missing but I understand it because this is a 20th Century Fox collection! obviously will be missing movies like The Asphalt Jungle, The Prince and the Showgirl which were not from fox studios... I am happy with this boxset, now time to watch and enjoy this beautiful icon called Marilyn :-)
on 20 December 2014
I purchased this product mainly to see Marilyn;s earlier films. I thoroughly enjoyed every one of the films in this collection, and I would recommend this box set to everyone.
on 15 June 2014
I Purchased this for a Birthday gift for my best friend as he is a HUGE Monroe fan. The product arrived quickly and in immaculate condition (Collection is wrapped in clear plastic- so i knew he will be the first to open!)
For the price i can't complain 17 films for not a great deal of money. I'm sure he will love this as a gift and i was very impressed with the delivery time and the overall price! would recommend to anyone who loves Monroe!
on 6 November 2014
Absolutely inlove with this! Awesome quality for not a huge price. So pleased with it! Thank youuuuuu!!