5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its stunning predecessor and then some
If you read Firebrand, the first of the Rebel Angels books, you'll have fallen in love with the works of the Sithe and its characters, especially Seth & Conal and even the charmingly deadly Kate NicNiven. Bloodstone takes the bonds forged in Firebrand and strengthens them.

Published on 3 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but nothing amazing.
I enjoyed this book for the characters but the actual writing and plot was lacking a little bit. There was no clear story happening and sometimes I wasn't quite sure what was going on. The characters are interesting and enjoyable though.
Published 18 months ago by M. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its stunning predecessor and then some, 3 July 2011

The characters are just as you remember them, and I was so deeply engaged with them every step of the way that I was literally shaking by the end of the book. The language is crisp and evocative and the fantasy world flawlessly drawn.

Although it's a teenage book, and young adults I think will identify powerfully with the characters, Bloodstone should and will be devoured by adult readers too. Gillian Philip is an outstanding author, one of my favourites, and Bloodstone is a perfect example of why.

Totally, totally brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic And Exciting, 2 Nov 2012
Gillian Philip has did it again!! I adore this series. The first book Firebrand (my review) was such a breath of fresh air in a genre that is over populated with vampires, and werewolves. It grabbed me from the start and I was eagerly awaiting the sequel. So when I contacted the publisher I was super excited when they allowed me to read and review Bloodstone. It was just as explosive as book 1.

Bloodstone is set in the present day Scotland. Sithe Brothers Seth and Conal have been in the Mortal world for 500 years searching for The Bloodstone. Soon they are catapulated back into the own world along with Finn, Conal Neice, Jed a mortal boy who cares for Finn and Jed's infant brother. Together they are fighting to stay alive.

Trying to describe this book is hard. It one of those book that takes your breath away. I truely love it. Seth is one of those self centred, arogant character that you do fall for when you see his sweet side. He is an arse most of the time but he is one of the most Loyal characters I have ever came across in a book. His love for his brother and the fact he would do almost anything for him it what makes him Seth. Conal is one of those men who on the outside is a tough strong man but underneath is a big softy and that comes across when he is with Jed's baby brother.

We are introduced to some new characters, Finn and Jed. Finn is Conal neice and has been brought but unaware of her Sithe heritage. She is a loner and doesn't have any friends she meets Jed. Jed is one of those characters I am on the fence with. On one hand, he is a thief and a cheeky little bugger but on the other hand he really cares for Finn and his llittle brother. The chemistry between all the characters I think is what makes this book so addictive and engaging.

The story itself is amazing! The plot is explosive, epic and freaking awesome. It fast paced anf full of action you will be sitting reading with you heart in your mouth waiting to see what was going to happen next. There is never a dull moment. Gillian has created a fantastic sequel to Firebrand that will be enjoyed adults and older teen.

Bloodstone, personally wasn't as good as Firebrand just because I loved the fact the Firebrand was set in 1600s. As you can tell with the review I did still love it and the story is just as good but just for me I prefered book one. However, I am super excited to see what instore in the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Second installment that more than meets the first!, 6 Aug 2012
Originally posted on Book Chick City

WARNING:- Contains spoilers from first book

After the excellent Firebrand, the sequel BLOODSTONE had a lot to live up to. Although BLOODSTONE is a fantastic read, it just falls short of being a full 5 stars, and is more of 4.5 star book.

The four hundred year time jump between books was more of a hindrance, at least for me. We left Seth at the end of Firebrand, mourning the loss of his lover. Conal had rode off without him, intent on finding the fabled Bloodstone which would either save or destroy the Veil.

Because of this, it felt as though there was a big chuck of Seths' story and character development missing. I wanted to know more about Seth's journey, how he met back up with his brother and was now a mature version of the Seth I grew to love in the first book. We had left him is such a broken state that to see how he had managed to recover, for me was a vital part that was missing from the book in order to engage fully with him. This niggled at the back of my mind for a good few chapters of the book.

Fortunatly Philip's managed to set up such an interesting plot, involving new characters, that I was able to push this to the back of my mind and become sucked into the book.

The two new characters we are introduced to are at first only supporting cast members, but by half way through they were just as important as Conal and Seth.

The newest member of Conal and Seths' family is Finn, their niece. She is the stereotypical teenager, suffering from the same angst that we have all been through. She is at the age where she is trying to find her place in the world. What doesn't help is the fact that she is Sithe and therefore instantly forgettable to mortals. Well, everyone except the other new character in the book, Jed.

As per their race, Finn's mother has very little to do with her, but I think it may also be due to the fact that Finn's father was killed on a recon mission back in the otherworld. It is therefore up to Conal and Leonora to nurture her, but they were not to mention her true heritage. Leonora tries to show her some of the old ways and we see that a strong bond develops between the two. It was nice to see this softer side of Leonora, for she came across as very cold and aloof in Firebrand.

It is this bond that causes Finn and her friend Jed to cross the veil to her home world. Finn is concerned for her Gran, but both her mother and Conal claim that she is just getting old. When Leonora wanders off, Finn is concerned and it's this one act that is the catalyst for the whole book.

Though she is related to Seth through his father, being the daughter of Conal's sister, we see a strong resemblance between the two. Finn has her half-uncles' fiery temper and the feeling of being an outsider. Unfortunately this does end up causing her to make a few bad choices, one of which left me gob smacked. By the end of the book I could see a potential storyline for the future and I can't wait to see what will happen.

Jed is a bit of a strange character. He is of course full mortal, and is pulled in by a number of chance encounters. The most important, at least at first, is when he befriends Finn. This should be impossible since Finn is Sithe, she blends into the background. Somehow he still sees her and remembers her. It is never fully explained why this is till the latter half of the book and it is such a twist, that I had to take a breath to absorb what I was reading.

Jed, for me was one of the characters that showed a lot of growth throughout the book. When we first meet him, he is the angry teenager, trying to play the grown up to a junkie mother. He is doing the best he can for his family, which includes his little brother Rory. It is his dedication and love for his little brother that is a constant thread throughout the book. When he appears to be trapped in the otherworld, his main concern is his little brother.

On returning to our world, Jed finds that his mother has passed away, no doubt from an overdose (Time passes more quickly here than in Seth and Conals world). With the authorities closing in, Jed does the only thing he can think of and runs back to the Watergate where he and Finn crossed over. Now he shouldn't be able to cross it as the only reason he crossed the first time was because Finn was Sithe and pulled him across. It made me think that maybe there was more to Jed than I first thought. Though I was partially right, the true twist was much cleverer.

As I said at the beginning of the review, Seth seems to have resorted back to his old ways. He is still extremely loyal to his brother. Seth is still a bit pigheaded and seems to be at loggerheads both with Leonora and Conal's sister. However, he has become disillusioned with the cause and wants to return home. Much like Finn, he makes a few choices that are questionable. What really had me shaking my head in disbelief is Seth handing over the Bloodstone to Kate. It is for the greater good, but Kate has proven to be far from trustworthy that to give her the Bloodstone, was signing a death warrant for his race.

For me Seth will always make the harder choice and he should be commended for that. Seth isn't one to be the good guy. Instead he will make the tough choice for what he sees as the greater good. As always, it is to save his brother from making that choice.

The plot is very tightly knit and at times, seemingly random or insignificant instances turn out to be very important. There are a few "Oh My!" moments scattered throughout the book that really took me by surprise. The author is brilliant at this and it's why I like her style of writing so much.

The ending leaves much room for the story to continue and with Wolfsbane coming out in August, I can hardly wait. There is a larger plot throughout the books and I want to see what the conclusion is.

VERDICT:

A fantastic book that is only let down by the huge gap in time between books, therefore you can read this one without missing very much backstory by not reading the first book, Firebrand. Gillian Philip is a master storyteller and brings something new to the genre of urban fantasy and young adult books.

5.0 out of 5 stars full-throttle fantasy adventure. Essential reading for teens and above, 18 Sep 2011
Mrs. B. S. Kemp "Beth Kemp" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved Firebrand - it's easily one of my favourites of the books I've read in the last year or so - and I was a little worried that this might not live up to it. What groundless fear! Philip is an amazing writer who doesn't slip a millimetre. The voice, the characterisation, the plot, the pace - all perfect. Not that this is an easy read: Philip believes in making her characters - and her readers - suffer. Bloodstone makes a heart-wrenching and tense read. Like the first Rebel Angels volume, the novel focuses on Sithe characters interacting with our world (the Otherworld, as far as they're concerned). These are not the fluffy pink fairies of our disneyfied culture but nor are they evil faeries seeking solely to harm mortals. Philip's Sithe warriors are the feudal fae of folklore who lack human sensibilities but are perfectly capable of love and loyalty in their own way. Her main characters certainly gain both love and loyalty from her readers.

Seth's first-person narration, which was one of Firebrand's strengths, remains strong and engaging while showing some character development since the beginning of the saga (not too much, though - we love him for his moody teen-style aspects!). Passages of third-person narration also allow us insight into others' perspectives,with a different but equally effective voice. Like most readers of the first instalment, I fell in love with the central characters, and Philips has gleefully toyed with that emotion in this novel, whilst also providing new characters to share our devotion.

It's impossible (for me at least) to talk about plot without giving too much away, but take my word that the story will grip you and not let you put this down (just ask my poor neglected family!). The pace is relentless and sustained, with occasional humour, albeit of the dark variety, to lift the mood. There are two more books in this series to come, and I cannot imagine what they will contain, but no doubt I will once again be thrilled and gutted by turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebel Angels Series continues its brilliance, 31 Aug 2011
Heather "Kindle fan" (Orangevale, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
After enjoying the wonderful Firebrand, I wondered how Gillian Philip could match its excellence in this next installment of the Rebel Angels Series. Bloodstone blew me away! This author really knows how to reach into the reader; to pull out emotions, memories, sights, smells...

There are the familiar characters from Firebrand (that we've come to love or despise!), with some stunning new additions- as well as an ingenious new backdrop, and plot twists that would keep even a cynical reader guessing.

Strong, descriptive, emotionally-charged scenes abound. This one deals with some thought-provoking social issues, but blends hard reality with the hope and magic of fantasy.

Bloodstone beautifully links the fantastic ride through Gillian Philip's Sithe world... with the reader's own inner world. Sit down with this book when you'll have no distractions, and let yourself in to an amazing place!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but nothing amazing., 10 Jun 2013
M. Martin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodstone: 2 (Rebel Angels) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars part two of the series, 19 Mar 2013
Seth and Conal return and are in modern day Scotland this time. A thoroughly good story, which is touching, brutal and exciting all at the same time. Gillian is a brilliant writer and I can't wait for the fourth book in the series, having already devoured Bloodstone and the third Rebel Angels book, Wolfsbane. Just buy them!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as predecessor, 31 Dec 2012
karenarch@hotmail.com (Chatham, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Just finished reading the second instalment after a two year break from the first novel and feel disappointed.
The good stuff - the writing was still evocative, the characterisation still great and some of the copy was gut-wrenchingly good. Phillip succeeded in dehumanising the Sithe and the new characters of Jed and Finn were well-drawn. She took a risk setting the novel several hundred years after the first and introducing new characters, and I feel it paid off.
Now for the bad. The plot was weak. And the locating of the Bloodstone was a bit deus ex machina for me. The characters spent most of the book running round in circles in some nameless place in fairy with the odd Lammyr showing up to be immediately dispatched with no difficulty. I sometimes didn't know if the protagonists were in fairy or in the human world, and the places weren't, as a rule, so well described. I felt Phillip broke some rules from the previous book with Jed being able to freely move between the worlds and the fear of time difference, important to the storyline in the first book, disappeared in Bloodstone, except for in one instance. Though I liked the new characters of Jed and Finn, their introduction diluted the Conal/Seth storyline. Another complaint is that in several multi-character scenes, Phillip didn't alert the reader to who was talking. A simple 'Seth said' would have sufficed. And I have no idea why the typeface changed so much. There was too much jumping around of point-of-view characters. Also, the author didn't give any back story. This would have been fine if I hadn't had such a break from the first book. But in the couple of years since reading the first book I'd forgotten who Victor Laslo was, and with no back story, I missed out on a massive segment of the story in Bloodstone. Certainly Bloodstone could not be read as a standalone novel.
I've given it three stars. Based on the characterisation and quality of the copy it should have four, but for plot and lack of back-story, I would probably give it only two. I've got the next book to go and I am hoping since I've only just read the second that I can pick up the storyline faster and will enjoy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 15 Mar 2012
G. M. Banks (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
You open this book and get pulled through the watergate into the world of the Sithe - faeries to you & me! - and the magic of the story holds you there till the end. This second book in the Rebel Angels series picks up almost where 'Firebrand' left off - give or take 400 years! There is tragedy and loss right from the outset - and a stunning unexpected demise towards the end. In between there are periods spent in 'our' world - and the introduction of a new generation of characters. All of these younger beings (human and Sithe) will play a crucial role in what transpires - and one of them may be the catalyst for further great events. However, that is the stuff of a third book (I presume?) - and one on which I trust Ms Philip is labouring vigorously even as I write! I don't know when the story will continue - but I do know it will be worth waiting for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter The World Of The Sithe!, 1 Nov 2011
When my copy of Bloodstone arrived in the post I was ecstatic. Literally, I was jumping up and down like a mad woman. *sheepish smirk*
It took me only a few hours to finish, that is a reflection on how absolutely, completely brilliant it is!! This book made me laugh, cry, grit my teeth in frustration...I cannot stress enough on how utterly incredible the Rebel Angel series is!
I am now eagerly awaiting book 3 in the series... Wolfsbane!!! *Grins*

Bloodstone: 2 (Rebel Angels)