Published on 26 May 2009 by Peter Burton

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected something great, got something that was just OK
Published 21 months ago by Patrick Ballin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the most comprehensible and credible works of its kind to appear for many years, 26 May 2009
Peter Burton "Trusted Mentor" (St Albans UK) - See all my reviews
Self help books need to be inspirational, and Brand You passes the test with flying colours. Starting with a quote from Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, "your brand is what people say about you when you're not in the room", it goes on to describe more than a dozen characteristics that combine to define your brand, and more importantly, differentiate you from others. This analysis is both more sophisticated, detailed, and motivational than I recall seeing elsewhere. The book gives clear examples of how to get a handle on some of the more slippery, but important concepts such as your values, and the archetypes you invoke when dealing with other people. The authors' backgrounds as students of human behaviour are strongly evident here.

The advice on networking is refreshingly original. Thankfully there is no reference to elevator conversations or tedious 60-secod homilies. Instead the authors recommend using a three-second introductory statement that encapsulates your `unique combination'. For example "I am a business psychologist with a marketing background".

Brand You has to be one of the most comprehensible and credible works of its kind to appear for many years. I cannot recommend it too strongly, both to people running their own businesses and those working, or looking to work, in corporates. It is marred only by one inexplicable omission: the lack of an index. I found it frustrating that I could not easily get back to great ideas that had impressed me on first reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected something great, got something that was just OK, 14 Dec 2012
If a personal brand is a promise or what people say about you when you're not there then, you know what, I've got something to whisper at the water-cooler. Despite being recommended by many friends and associates, some of whom are even named in the "Brand You" credits and one of whom was good enough to buy me a copy - this is a book that does not live up to its promise.

The good news is that it's easy to follow, it's nicely written and the authors are clearly smart and, with two rather glaring exceptions, know their stuff. The less good news is that there's not much in Brand You that, from my own limited experience, you can't get from elsewhere. Indeed, the authors are very open about how much of the content in their book is pulled from other sources. As an example, if you really want to read something that will help you to write an excellent CV, then Bright and Earl's "Brilliant CV" does that well - in fact, much better. There are, of course, a few interesting nuggets and the authors' treatment of archetypes was genuinely thought-provoking and has made me think about and, then, rework some of my own self-advertisement: does my Linked In profile adequately evoke the Care Giver and the Sage? But even this section is a development of the work, openly acknowledged, of Margaret Mark and Carol S. Pearson.

The glaring exceptions? Well, the short chapter on building your network is, frankly, superficial and embarrassing. Better read Andy Lopata and Peter Roper instead: their book on this subject, "And Death Came Third", is excellent. And the following chapter on social media, which I think is billed as newly updated in this edition of "Brand You" is sketchy and doesn't seem to be based on the authors' authentic experiences: did somebody else write this section for them? It gives a couple of rather generic pages to topics such as your Linked In profile or setting up a personal website. Of course, a lot of this changes very fast - may have been better to reference some web pages that could be updated as the technology develops; it feels like a section that is going to date very rapidly indeed.

Overall, I felt that this was a derivative not a definitive book; it might work well as an introduction or a refresher but it lacks both depth and originality. It seems churlish, given this book was provided generously, as a gift, to say so but (he whispered at the water-cooler), "Brand You" isn't as good as people have cracked it up to be. By all means read it as a starter for the subject of personal branding - but expect very quickly to graduate on to a greater level of detail than it offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brand You, 15 Oct 2012
Julian Summerhayes "Julian" (South Brent, Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
WOW I love this book. It makes the case probably better than any other book out there for the importance of being the most remarkable version of you. If you get this far in your review of the reviews, then my advice is don't waste any more time reading the reviews just go and buy the book. It is bang up to date with the social media explosion, and shows you how to make the most of your time in using the available platforms. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this book earlier!!!!, 21 May 2009
A. Walker (London) - See all my reviews
Everyone talks about how important it is to market yourself - but how do you actually do it? This book actually tells you how to figure out who you are and to make it into a brand - and it doesn't involve 5 years in counselling! The archetypes stuff is really interesting - particularly with the celebrities. And the recommendations on how to go out and sell yourself are really clear and simple. A great book I'll be sending to friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading for discovering your own personal brand, 5 Aug 2010
M. Wong "Michelle" (UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst researching information on self-employment I came across many articles, blogs and websites talking about the importance of personal branding. I did a search on Amazon and after reading a lot of book reviews I chose `Brand You'.

The authors bring light to today's ever-changing job market and that to ensure you stand out from the crowd you need to clarify your personal brand. The exercises in the book help you to build a picture of what makes you unique, and this is done by finding out your values, your unique talents and skills based on your own experiences. The values exercise involves listing your role models and going through each one and stating what it is that you admire about them - their personality traits, their work etc. Whilst working through this exercise myself, I saw a pattern emerging and realised what I admired about my role models were, in fact, my own values.

I found the use of `archetypes' fascinating, whereas before I was only aware that these were used in stories and films.

After clearly defining my purpose and aims, I find that I am able to make better judgements on what aspects I should focus on in terms of researching and developing my own career path.

The authors make it clear that personal branding is not about a well-designed logo. It's about being aware of what makes you different from the rest and it's about remaining true to your values. This strengthens your reputation - your personal brand and that is how people remember you. Your actions therefore feel effortless when they are in line with your purpose and aims and you remain authentic to yourself and with others.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, it's engaging and very useful, and by the end of reading it, I was much more clearer and more confident in the definition of my own personal brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life transforming experience, 11 Aug 2014
An absolutely amazing book that transformed my life. I completely changed the way how I see the career to make this time worthwhile for the life as a whole.
Extremely easy to follow, the book gives you a set of very intuitive and, what is especially valuable, natural exercises. It leads you step by step to really understanding who you are and what is actually important to you. After the self-exploration phase, the book has a lot of practical advice.
The idea that shook my mind in the very beginning was that you already have a brand, and that it is your choice whether to strengthen it or leave it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roadmap of the Soul, 21 July 2009
Clifford Thurlow (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Like a good film script - in many ways as William Goldman leads us through the dark labyrinth of the film industry in 'Adventures in the Screen Trade,' the authors here take you on a journey into the dark heart of the inner you. Who am I? What am I? What do I do now? Brand You is the roadmap that will guide you into the heart of your very soul. It's a good read, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self employed, 1 Feb 2010
I read the recent review from a self-employed person with interest, as I am also self-employed. I, however, found the book very useful in that it helped me clarify what my focus was. It certainly helped me in deciding on some major decisions with which I have been grappling in relation to my future. I would recommend this book for anyone who requires help in determining where they ought to be going with the way they market themselves.
M.Evans Grasse, France

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the same book as the other reviewers????, 6 Jan 2013
Having seen all the 5 star reviews on this book some time ago now, I went ahead and purchased. This book has sat on my reading pile for quite a while eagerly awaiting me to read and take notes along with my other branding books! So I was very disappointed when I finally started to read it this evening.

With every book I've read, I've made copious notes, but with this book, I wrote nothing, not a single word was put to paper.
I found the writing very in-personal, which is a pet hate of mine to read a book talking about 'some people do this and some people do that' - I want to read "here is what you need to do to achieve XYZ" - I just found the whole book to be filler, with nothing really solid there. I don't know, maybe it's because I've read many other excellent books on branding that this just felt like a 2 star book. It was more informative than a step by step guide. Which there's nothing wrong with, but I wanted a step by step advice guide on branding, not some generic advice stating "some people do this, some people do that, here's some more information to decipher and figure out how to apply it yourself, if it's relevant at all"

Overall, if you like excellent step-by-step guides, and your used to regularly reading top business books with glowing 5 star reviews, I wouldn't recommend this as you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read whether you're already in business or starting out., 14 Jun 2010
I first came across John Purkiss at a branding convention for entrepreneurs. John delivered an insightful and grounded introduction to branding yourself.

As a self employed coach and entrepreneur, Brand You has now provided me with new tools with which to move onto the next stage of my career. My belief is that by adopting the common sense approach to branding offered in this book, I will save a huge amount of time and energy launching my new business. Instead of banging my head against a brick wall, I can simply walk through an open door of self awareness, which will, in turn, allow me to convey what it is that I do, more clearly and concisely, to potential customers. Clients can then more easily decide whether my work is for them. Very efficient really! The approach recommended and taught in this book is powerful tool when used effectively.
I will be investing in more copies for friends and clients.

In a word, this book is OUTSTANDING.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›