on 25 April 2013
For beginners and veterans, adults and children, Barker and Cole must be commended on such an excellent and accessible book.
Humour is so important, and this book does a good job of integrating it with a lot of important learning.

The book is packed full of hard-won experience, wisdom, and tools and techniques, which you can immediately and practically apply to help succeed in project management. This is not a book of boring project recipes. There is so much more than theory here. It is full of real-world relevance.

Since I bought the first edition in 2007, it has been a continually useful resource. In fact, it is still the envy of all my other project management books.
The content, format and structure of the book work well. You can read it from start-to-finish, or dip into any section you want to read up on.

Note: Amazon book reviews are now specific to each edition, so all the recommendations have to be written again (see my 2nd edition review for example).
I hope you get as much value from this books as I have. Good books are hard to come by, so when I do find one, I like to shout about it.
If you get it too, please leave a review here for it get picked up by more people.
on 7 March 2014
I am an experienced PM but as with all things, when running a program/project one forgets the little things that make it all run that much smoother.
This book gives that little kick in the pants to remind you what you did when you were keen to impress the boss and now that I am the boss it is nice have something to remind me.
Easy to read, it won't make a PM out of you but at least you shouldn't fall into all of the "bear traps" waiting for you (just a few of them).

You can't teach experience but hopefully you can learn from it.
on 23 February 2013
A good book recommended to me by my line manger. Captures the basics of project management well, a handy reference guide to keep by your desk.
on 25 June 2015
I think this is a good guidance of not only how to manage projects but also how to manage an organization more effectively as well as how to handle poorly managed projects. This guidance is more useful to someone who has many years of experience in a larger organization than let’s say students or if you work for a small company or a startup where projects are more likely to be managed more efficiently with less communication issues (otherwise the startup would not survive). Everyone who worked for a large company can relate to the pitfalls and problems immediately. Even if you are not the project lead, this book helps how to demand a proper plan from your project manager. It covers the range from planning (including preparing for risks) the project, how to lead teams, chairing (and participating in) meetings effectively as well as facilitating teamwork. This book also includes useless tips like “keep improving yourself” but luckily they are in the minority.
The last chapter provides a useful overview of sources and organizations to help you to improve your (project) management skill further. Hint: just google for “project management”…

I purchased the Kindle edition of this book last year; as I write this review, it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.
on 21 July 2013
Excellent for anyone starting out in Project Management or a support role. Written in easy to understand language and is an invaluable book for reference.
on 5 October 2013
This book gives a large view over project management without diving too deep into details. The balance between hard and soft factors represents their weight in project work. The checklists summarize the important parts and allow finding further details in the chapters.
Eugen Huber, Co-Author of "Handbuch Projektmanagement", Springer 2011
on 1 December 2014
For my business degree, I have found this book to assist my passage through the module with ease and i urge its read and purchase for like students.
on 18 July 2015
Useful book when starting out in Project Management. Got some useful tips.
on 27 November 2013
I read the book ''Brilliant Project Management'' and i found it very useful and containing great ideas and development techniques which can be simply implemented.

I recommend it for other Project managers.
on 19 November 2014