TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 December 2012
This is the third book in Paul Doiron's series about Mike Bowditch, a game warden based in Maine. The series began with The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch 1). While Bad Little Falls can be read as a standalone novel, you'll probably enjoy it more if you've read the previous two books in the series.

After the events of the last two books, Mike has been transferred to a remote northern corner of Maine. Once again he is embroiled in a murder investigation and things become complicated when he is romantically attracted to a family member of the chief suspect. Mike's propensity to make rash decisions again lands him in hot water and he once again he finds himself in a situation where he is operating with little support from his colleagues nor a sense of who he can trust.

This is not a bad book, but nor is it as good as the first two in the series. The central mystery is dragged out and none of the main characters are at all likeable. It does retain the sense of place that is so strong in Doiron's writing. I like this series, and I'm interested to see where Doiron will take it, but so far it doesn't live up to the similar series by Steve Hamilton about a retired cop living in Northern Michigan.
on 17 October 2012
This is the third book by Paul Doiron that I have read. I read them all in a row. This one is as good as the other two. Good writing, great description of people and the area where they live. It is as the other two the story of game warden Mike Bowditch and the situations he finds himself in and how he deals with this. There are some murders that are the main story but also some minor crimes were he himself is the victim.

Sometime you think that Mr Doiron must be a little to critical concerning the people who live in Maine since you get the feeling that they have a very large majority of what in the US is often called "white trash". Maybe he needs to picture them like that in order to create some tasks to do for the hero of the book. But what would a policeman do if everyone is a good guy?

It is an east read but as with the other two you sometimes ask yourself why he does things against good judgment. The End is again quite spectacular but this time a number of loose ends are left for the next book. I will buy and read that one too when it is published.
To be honest I'm new to Paul's writing and whilst it was an OK crime title, for me it wasn't anything that stood out against a lot of the other books out there. Don't get me wrong, the story was OK but for me it was something that could have been edited a lot more and made a tighter novella rather than a full length title as in places it really took its time to get where it was trying to. Add to the mix characters that I wasn't too happy with and dialogue that really didn't keep me interested all round made this a book that was something that won't make the author rise on my TBR list.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2013
The third in the Mike Bowditch series was for me the best of them (so far!) I became quite engrossed in the story, keeping reading in bed much later than is good for me. I love the local Maine detail that the author incorporates into his books. Much of this story was based in or around Machias, and lo and behold, when I visited Machias on Google Earth it was as described. I look forward to the next.
on 11 December 2014