Arc

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as hoped
Published 17 months ago by Kevin O'keefe

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, melodic, challenging, satisfying, 15 Jan 2013
John Tierney (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Arc (Audio CD)
This is an essential purchase if you liked Everything Everything's first album Man Alive. Building on that excellent debut, Arc feels more controlled, slightly more consistent and has some wonderful flowing, complicated but accessible tunes. You know you're being challenged when the first lyrics on the first track are "(Cough cough) Yeah.... (Cough cough) So.... (Cough cough) Um.... (Cough cough) Wait a second...." but don't worry - it's just Everthing Everthing messing with you right from the start.
Jonathan Higgs's typically falsetto voice lends a tenderness undercut with menace to twisting, challenging lyrics (you'll need them as you did for Man Alive). The first 7 tracks belt out finely crafted song after song, with a brief pause for the short, slight title track.
Nothing quite like the almost-commercial-but-too-clever-to-be Photoshop Handsome from Man Alive is here, although The Peaks is reminiscent of the stark beauty of NASA Is On Your Side (the best track from Man Alive for me).
Armourland, Choice Mountain, Duet and (the first single) Kemosabe jump out initially as wonderful exercises in writing and performing intelligent, non-conformist pop. Undrowned starts like a poem set to a nursery rhyme, but builds and builds. It all flows wonderfully and although this is written after only a few plays I think this will build to become one of those rare albums where you don't want to skip a track. This album, like its predecessor, almost hides the complexity and stream of consciousness lyrics, which are right out there and demand you to read along to the songs. Feet for Hands is both weird and joyful ("let's get up off the floor and use our feet for hands").
Everything Everything remind me of an XTC for this century in some ways - determined to do things their way and this they certainly do and succeed admirably.
If you like bland, production line, X-factor pop don't buy this. But if you like your music to challenge you, then look no further - you will reap the benefits amply. An excellent (but not difficult) second album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as hoped, 26 May 2013
Kevin O'keefe (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arc (Audio CD)
First 2 tracks 'cough cough' and 'kemosabe' are excellent and the reason why i bought this album after seeing them on 'later with Jools Holland'. I was excited i had found a new shining light in what is a very ordinary music scene and has been in my opinion for years. I was dissapointed to find that none of the rest of this album comes close to being of the quality of the first 2 songs. track 4 'Duet' is best of the rest. I usually go on itunes to listen to a bit of each song to see if its worth buying the whole album as there are many albums with 'fillers' that are quickly forgetable. In this case my excitment of the 2 fore- mentioned songs made my buy Arc as i hoped for more of the same. I would only recommend downloading tracks 1,2,4 to avoid the same dissapointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Everything Everything's second album is absolutely great. Whilst the first album seemed like quite a mash up of different musical types and seemed very experimental, this album seems to show that the band have found their own sound and the songs seem more consistent. The quirky lyrics and upbeat music make for very catchy music, and as soon as the album finishes you'll want to start it again straight away. Brilliant album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album with some truly sublime tracks!, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Arc (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums of the past few years already, so many awesome tracks I cannot recommend this album enough!!!
Great production values, melodies and I just keep having to repeat some of the tracks as there so good....I've even had the wife ask who they are so must be good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 21 Jan 2013
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I am really digging this CD. Not normally a fan of Radio 1 but last summer I heard the first single from the album, Cough Cough, being played a few times and was instantly hooked. The band were interviewed and started riffing about their inspirations, rather than the usual 'my girl left me' or 'I really fancy so and so' they were blasting on about time, space and stepping outside of the universe.

Anyway, I wishlisted this CD and got it upon its release. I basically bought this blind, the only song I had heard was the Cough Cough single, so I was a bit worried that the rest of the CD would be filler rather than killer.

Wrong! The tracks are all so strong, they all shine and stand on their own two feet.

The music is so different, the lead singer sounds a bit like Chris Martin doing falsetto and singing about gym freaks and coiled hearts but its all good. However, rather than other 'different' music which can sometimes be a little inaccessible (I'm thinking Animal Collective, Maps etc.) this is different but immediately strikes a chord.

Even my wife and kids have been singing along, Kemosabe and Duet seem to be particular favourites. Family friendly is all to the good, when I play Neutral Milk Hotel I get chased out of the room and Hollywood Undead? Forget about it, too much cussing.

If you like good music that has been well produced check this out, complex but accessible, multi-layered and interesting, way better than the trailerloads of pap that is currently being shipped by the studios.

Utterly essential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds familiar, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Arc (MP3 Download)
Haven't heard the first album so bought this based on the Q Magazine Review. To me it sounds like the 80's band 'It Bites' I like them so I do think that this album is very good but if you are familiar with It Bites you'll know what I mean

5.0 out of 5 stars Second album even better than the 1st........I didn't think it was possible, 22 Feb 2013
Dr Bin (Langford, Notts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
A brilliant album. I didn't think it was going to be possible to top the 1st one. All the influences are still there but the sound is maturing so to me they still end up sounding like nothing you have quite heard before. This 1st album only came out of the car when the second one was released. I never tire of listening to this band and I find something new in the songs each time I listen to them. Endlessly creative and full of real intelligence and craft. I cannot wait to hear more!

This band are fantastic live as well. Recent Cambridge Junction gig was simply amazing! Do not let this band pass you by!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb., 25 Jan 2013
Ms. D. G. Winer "miss2tone" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I thought they would find it hard to top the last album 'Man Alive', I'm now wondering if this could be their Magnum Opus. From minute one of listening I had my jaw open. I haven't been able to stop since I bought it is week.

It's melodically perfect, and instrumentally ethereal. The percussion and bass are outstanding.

The bass on 'Cough Cough', sounds so good as does the percussion, they make it an epic powerhouse of a song.

I adore 'Torso of the Week' and above all the harmonies on 'Justice', remind me of the harmonies on The Police's B-Side 'Friends'.

They are immensely talented and unique and they have excelled themselves, it's aurally spectacular.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 16 Jan 2013
Martin Fielding (Findon, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arc (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
With this album, Dutch Uncles and Villagers all coming out this week I had the make the choice as to first listen and this was the choice. I have listened to the album three times now and all I can say is Wow! It's very difficult to describe - maybe there are shades of early Elbow and Field Music in there and from an earlier era Anthony Moore/More of Slapp Happy - but they definitely make their own music and this is as varied and catchy an album as any I have heard in the last year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything Everything - Arc: Amping up the eccentricity on the 'difficult second album', 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Arc (Audio CD)
Everything Everything are one of the most inventive UK guitar bands of the last 5 years. Their curious vocals and enthusiastic mash-up of genre has earned them some much-deserving acclaim, and now falsetto frontman Jonathan Higgs and crew have re-emerged with a new seriousness.

Their 2010 debut Man Alive retained a sense of humour, ranging from the rocky "Suffragette Suffragette", the astonishing Super Furry Animals-style "Photoshop Handsome", witty jazzy "MY KZ, UR BF", and groovy "Schoolin'". One only need compare the witty early promo videos with the uncomfortable imagery of oil consumption and rioting in the recent lead single promo "Cough Cough".

Now at their artistic crossroads, the band are still quirky but cleaner, more angular and less jazzy. They seem more progressive but are equally in danger of becoming the next Coldplay or Muse.

Arc is inventive, eccentric and sometimes just plain weird pop, with references encompassing Yazoo, Jan Hammer, and Kate Bush to Yes, Genesis, Radiohead and a smattering of folk. "Cough Cough" kicks off this unusual LP, closely followed by latest single "Kemosabe", citing the character Tonto from The Lone Ranger. "Choice Mountain" starts with some muted strums before releasing into a pretty floaty chorus. Other stand-out tracks are the stomping "Feet For Hands", the stuttering "Armourland" (with a chorus reminiscent of "Drive" by The Cars), and anthemic "Radiant", perhaps the most mature of the album.

The curious collection belies the excellent live band beneath the electronica production. However, Everything Everything's efforts display one of the healthier facits of the British music scene.

Arc