5.0 out of 5 stars A superb debut album of tender melodic energy
Published on 13 Mar 2012 by Roger Boon

2.0 out of 5 stars First Impression
As a first impression I'm not very happy about it. It doesn't bring nothing new and it's not refreshing. I will post a second opinion in one week.
Published on 19 Sep 2012 by JOAO R MARTINS

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb debut album of tender melodic energy, 13 Mar 2012
Roger Boon (Llandudno,Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shallow Bed [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Into the space opened up by the delay of Mumford and Son's follow up to "Sigh No More" comes "Shallow Bed" the musically imaginative debut album of Dry The River.With the group's strong percussion and brass section supported by a pervasive violin and occasional tenor horn there is a driving yet tender energy beautifully supporting the soulful and expressive voice of main vocalist, Peter Liddle. His voice has real range and he has penned a group of finely crafted songs which have been arranged expansively to underline their strong melodic content. The overall sound is a combination of Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons with definite dramatic hints of The National.The latter isn't surprising given that the album is recorded and mixed by their producer,Peter Katis, who is also responsible for the wonderful "Strict Joy" by Ireland's Swell Season. This is a mix guaranteed to attract folk-indie enthusiasts like myself,yet it would be unfair to suggest, as NME has done, that this is a mere synthesis of the styles of already known artists. The music stands up on its own and is amazingly good by any standards.I am loath to recommend any one track: they are all worth listening to. Full of carefully constructed melodic shifts and chord progressions, they have immediate appeal. The lovely melodies are underpinned by a robustness and bombast that excite and get your feet tapping and there are plenty of changes of pace and mood to hold your interest.This is a full lush sound that seems to me more English than American. For this reason I find it more appealing than anything by Fleet Foxes.It is a superb debut album and I warmly recommend you to go out and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the best way possible, 8 Mar 2012
Breakfast (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
From the opening acoustic drone of "Animal Skins" to the explosive, percussive, conclusion of "Lion's Den," this is one of the most immediate and powerful records of the last few years. An album written as a single work of art, with careful thought given to how the songs fit together and the story that they tell.

The production gives it a consistent sound without ever becoming samey- the songs clearly belong together but there is nothing monotonous about the record. It helps that Peter Liddle is a extraordinarily deft lyricist, his songwriting stepping between emotional honesty and obscure reference with a rare and precious agility. The musicianship throughout is excellent - the strings and guitars soar through the songs, the rhythm section know when to thunder and when to whisper and there are moments of beautiful layered choral harmonies.

Over the years I have enjoyed a lot of artists that get classified as "Americana" but as an Englishman with a real interest in my own cultural identity what I really wanted to hear music that brought that attitude to this side of the Atlantic. In this album, pastoral and spacious, by turns sweeping, tender and wild, I am hearing exactly that. Anglicana, you might say. Or listening to these vocals like a world-weary Jeff Buckley and borrowing a pun famously coined by a 6th Century pope: Angelicana.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut from emerging live act ..........., 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
Been watching these guys live for the past 18 months and they are the dogs ..... not disappointed with what is an amazing debut album .. they are nothing like the Mumfords (Liddle's vocal has real soul .....!) ... buy it!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
This is my cd of the year. His voice, the stunning musical arrangements and the lyrics! I love all the old testement references. Why was this cd not Massive?

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I was prepared to love you'...and I did., 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
The first song I heard off this album was 'No Rest' on the radio but I missed the artist name. However the lyrics 'I loved you in the best way possible' stuck in my mind for days before I googled the band and ordered this album in high anticipation. Speaking as someone who rarely pays attention to lyrics and focuses on the catchiness of the tune I can say that Dry The River do not disappoint in that respect. When it arrived however I was shocked at not only the breathtaking harmonies (because that is what they are) but the poetic and quite haunting lyrics. My personal description of the band is a more upbeat version of the Fleet Foxes, so if that's the sort of music you enjoy then go for it! I gave my mum the CD to borrow and haven't had it back yet, so regardless of the age group its intended to be aimed at I would say it covers a wide range of tastes. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly do not regret this purchase. A fantastic upcoming band and a strong first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb debut album of tender melodic energy, 21 Mar 2012
Roger Boon (Llandudno,Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overwhelming - powerful and emotional, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
Not since Radiohead released The Bends have I been so completely enthralled by an album. I've been a fan of this band's music for a while now, and the production here does them justice.

I can't recommend highly enough taking the time to sit down and read the lyrics in conjunction with the music - the two combine to put this band on a different level, even to the excellent Mumford & Sons to whom they are (strangely in my eyes) compared from time to time.

If there is any justice in this world (which all of us music fans know there often isn't!) Dry The River are going to be huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars what an amazing record I almost missed, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
When Weights and Measures was freshly out I came across it once in some casual radio listening and got very impressed, but didn't give it a second thought and didn't even remember the band name. This year when there were ads all over the city for their second album I suddenly realised I heard "Dry the River" before. And oh, what an amazing record I almost missed, and how much more than Weights and Measures it offers! With a distinctive high voice, intricately weaved vocal harmony and the apparent passion in pretty much all instrument parts, a debut album like this isn't something easily seen. When a song is simply brilliant, for years my mind remembers it even though I don't know. When an album is brilliant, after years it's still not late to check it out and end up feeling unable to stop listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry the River, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
Just buy it, please don't be put off by the 'folk' references, I love folk music and other musical genre's, this is nothing like folk music or anything else I can think of. This album is something else, its awesome, haunting, gorgeous and unique and if it was a book, you wouldn't be able to put it down. Off to see them in Leeds next week, just can't wait! Part of me feels I want to keep this band to myself because they are so special and like a child I don't want to share but the world needs to hear them! Like a previous reviewer, I too am the wrong side of 50 and have been listening to good music for many, many years and this album is up there with the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing DtR does them an injustice, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Shallow Bed (Audio CD)
This is from someone who has never written an Amazon review before... This is an amazing first album and some of the comparisons mentioned do this group an injustice. Don't let them put you off! It is a very unique sound. I heard DtR on the BBC website and then listened to the music online until the album came out. There is not a dud track on the album. It has everything - lovely harmonies, interesting poetic lyrics and a wonderful mix of heavy and acoustic (often in the same track). I couldn't stop listening to it for a month. No new album has done that to me for a long time. I am 56 - so maybe not the target market! and spent my teen years in London visiting the Marquee / Rainbow. Really disappointed that their Bristol and Cardiff shows are already sold out! Buy it!Shallow Bed

Shallow Bed (Acoustic)