4.0 out of 5 stars An involving read
Published 18 months ago by Sue Elliott

1.0 out of 5 stars Reads like 1950's war fiction
This was seriously disappointing, and gives the strong impression of being ghost-written and padded out around a collection of an old man's memories. It reads like 1950's English war fiction, with continuous tiresome hate-filled references to "Boche", and has too many detailed descriptions of trivial domestic incidents. The domestic life of the family, if it had...
Published 6 months ago by Martha Watkins

4.0 out of 5 stars An involving read, 26 Feb 2013
Being privileged to know Stephen Grady,I was anxious to discover whether this book does him and his extraordinary story justice. Michael Wright has captured Steve's dry wit and penchant for hyperbole and even the grimest episodes have moments of humour and light relief that lift the narrative and show the character, intelligence and sensitivity of the man. The story rattles along and is involving from the start. Like the previous reviewer, I would have liked more about his post-War life, but this is a war story, not a biography. It's wonderful that it has been told in full while Steve is still around to enjoy the belated recognition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gardens of Stone, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Gardens of Stone: My Boyhood in the French Resistance (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read bringing home the wonders, and failures of the human spirit. It gives an up close feel of the horrors and impact of war on those most innocent. The book and the way it is written will appeal across the board from a Boys Own adventure to those of social and war historical interest.
Mr Grady is clearly someone special and I should have liked just a bit more of the post 1947 account to round off a wonderful read. John McNeill. A 4 star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant book, 14 Feb 2013
A brilliant interesting read which keeps you captivated to the end. I couldn't put it down and highly recomemend it to any reader.A fantastic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving and very appreciated History, 1 July 2013
I thought that the book was getting bogged down in childhood memories but the build up, the clear character (and national character) descriptions, and the detail all helped to transport one to a world that today we can barely imagine. This is a riveting story, worthy of Hollywood's attention...and it's a true story of a remarkable man. I highly recommend this book to students of history, of military history, and anyone who would enjoy a real life adventure story. I particularly found the war graves component to be very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Inspiration, 22 Feb 2013
TIMOTHY CORBETT (WOLVERHAMPTON, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my kindle on Monday and finished it within three days. Stephen and his generation never cease to be an inspiration. I was filled with every emotion during my journey through this book and was deeply moved by the bravery shown by so many. A fascinating read which i would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 26 April 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this part of history, and certainly if coupled with an interest in particularly rural France. I shall hopefully visit this area on a future trip.

To an extent it is like a 'boys own' story, but the reality of the terror that lies behind most of the tales is clear in the writing. Quite extraordinary how one so young was singled out for leadership, without his having any inkling at the outset of his own capabilities.

There are also some excellent examples of how less can be quite often better than more, and some humour in Stephen's clever translations between French Resistance fighters and English and American fugitives, just to maintain the entente cordiale.

Not usually a very quick reader but went through this in no time unfortunately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 3 Dec 2013
I really didn't want this to end. I am a fan of Michael Wright, so I expected his treatment of this true story to be handled with sensitivity and humour. I was not disappointed. Like Michael, I also live in France and often see the roadside monuments to the Resistants, usually where they were gunned down. The story illuminated this tragic era of our recent history and, in my opinion, provides a vivid picture of the heroes and cowards who found themselves handling this turbulent time in their own ways. The story alone is breathtaking. Add to this Michael Wrights skilful writing and you have a true story that reads like an action and adventure novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written memoire, 18 Nov 2013
A memorable, and evocative memoire of life in Northern France under the Nazi occupation. A real pager turner, I found myself hanging onto every word, and could hardly put down this beautifully written account. Though it is clear that even now a few events are almost too painful to describe, some other incidents are by turns amusing and thought provoking. I must thank Stephen Grady (with the superb, light touch of Michael Wright) for reminding me of how very lucky so many of us post war children are, and how much we really do owe to those who suffered so much during the war, without the benefit of knowing its eventual outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminently readable and absorbing, 5 Nov 2013
I was looking for Michael Wright's latest book when I came across this one. It is an excellent read with Wright's influence evident. It brings out clearly the difficulties and dilemmas faced by the resistance fighters who wanted to hurt the Nazis while knowing that their every action was likely to bring retaliation on the innocent civilian population.

5.0 out of 5 stars rivetting from start to finish, 31 Aug 2013
This is my first audio book and the excellent reading brought every detail of this amazing story to life, whether I was on the way to work in the car, or listening in the comfort of my own home. Luke Thompson mastered the various characters with great skill, juggling with age, accent, nationality and personality. The story brought tears, laughter and reflection in equal measure; truly a wonderful experience!