Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.29

The folk scene in Britain is incredibly strong at the moment, and Celtic influenced folk in particular is enjoying quite a renaissance with many great artists from Scotland and Ireland making some absolutely stunning music. Irish songbird Heidi Talbot is right up at the forefront, making some really gorgeous music with her sweet, lilting and emotive voice.

This album gives us a set of Celtic folk influenced songs, telling tales of love and the tangled messes that it can cause. Lyrically it is a delight, and Talbot's voice is so clear you can hear every word. It also benefits from a gentle production, that accentuates Talbot's voice and pushes it centre stage.

If I have one criticism, it is that for me the album lacks a little in bite. The tone is, through out, very sweet, and I felt there was room for a darker edge to some of the tracks that would have given the album a little more contrast and made it more interesting. But for all that it is still a gorgeous album.

I had the pleasure of seeing Heidi Talbot, her husband John McCusker and Ian Carr in concert in Pocklington very recently, as part of their tour to support this album. It was a delightful night and I can really recommend seeing her live, as when she has an audience to interact with there is an added layer to her music. And there was a good natured, warm hearted banter between her and her band mates that made the audience feel very welcome.

4 stars for this album. It's got some real high points and is generally a suite of beautiful sounding music, but it does suffer a little from the lack of contrasts, hence losing a star.
on 2 June 2014
Went to see Heidi, John & Co in Bradford upon Avon and bought this and "Last Star" on the strength of that concert: For me this CD just edges it over the other one - but both are excellent for umpteen reasons. I've had both on in the car and they have smoothed several what would otherwise be mundane journeys. The vocals are sublime (with great harmony vocals from other "names"), the variations in styles is great - and well, the overall musicianship is wonderful. Needless to say... I recommend!
on 16 March 2015
Wow Heidi Talbot! I found this album after trawling the Amazon archives for something like this and I found 2 albums by Heidi Talbot - simply amazing. The most beautiful voice and with a tenderness truly captivating. 'The Last Star' and the other album 'Angels Without Wings' I would not be without in my collection. From 'The Last Star' - 'At The End of the Day' - is magic and you will have to play it again - and again. From 'Angels Without Wings' just listen to 'Wine & Roses' and 'When the Roses Come Again' - just very beautiful. Spoiled rotten with these two albums and both are 5 Star!.
on 21 February 2013
A wonderful album by Heidi Talbot, formerly lead singer with the American/Irish all girl band, Cherish the Ladies. Mostly penned by herself but some collaborations including Boo Hewerdine, John McCusker (her husband), Tim O'Brien and King Creosote (Kenny Anderson). Also some fine duets with the aforementioned Tim O'Brien on When the Roses Come Again - (my personal favourite), Louis Abbott on The Loneliest & Kenny Anderson on Button Up & Will I Ever Get to Sleep?

Simply a joy to listen to.
on 9 April 2013
Heidi Talbot is partner to the popular folk music producer and performer John McCusker. She has excellent connections with a strong cast of 21 writers and supporting musicians listed in the accompanying CD booklet. The danger with so many fingers in the pie is that the resulting record could come out as a bit of a dog's breakfast, with too many diverse influences watering down the final product. However, I am happy to report that this is not the case, Heidi's singing is a consistent thread, the album is classily produced. One of my favourite writers Boo Hewerdine helps compose 4 tracks, other notable guest appearances include Mark Knopfler, Karine Polwart , Andy Cutting and King Creosote. Perhaps the only minor observation is that when compared with some of her fellow female folk contemporaries her singing maybe glides past a bit too smoothly, and just sometimes she could let go a bit more and show a bit more passion with some rough edges. It is all very tastefully done , and more polished and consistent than some of her previous albums, and probably represents her career highlight to date.
on 19 February 2013
This is the first albulm bu Heidi Talbot I have listened to, but many of the songs are real gems. The whole record is beautifully played and sung. Recommended.
on 31 July 2013
A brilliant CD with a fabulous compilation of songs, beautifully performed by Heidi Talbot and superb backing from world class musicians. I really enjoyed Heidi Talbot, with her husband John McCusker and Ian Carr in concert at Kirkgate Centre, Cockermouth in February, as part of their tour to support this album. It was a briliant "BIG GIG" and I recommend seeing her live, as Heidi and her songs charm the audience, so much, that you feel you have known her for years .
on 23 March 2013
This is the second CD of Heidi Talbot I have purchased and I enjoy it every bit as much as the first. Her voice is both fragile and beautiful and in the main the songs bring her undoubted talents to the fore. I particularly enjoyed Dearest Johnny, Button Up, the Loneliest and New Cajun Waltz.
on 20 February 2014
I had never heard of Heidi Talbot until I heard "Wine and Roses" played on the radio. On the strength of that one listening I ordered the cd from Amazon. The album is a joy. Heidi Talbot has a wonderful voice that we do not hear enough of.
on 20 February 2013
Thought this might be a bit too much like the previous albums; but is good in its own right with a slightly different sound.
Well worth adding to anybodys collection