The folk scene in Britain is incredibly strong at the moment, and Celtic influenced folk in particular is enjoying quite a renaissance with many great artists from Scotland and Ireland making some absolutely stunning music. Irish songbird Heidi Talbot is right up at the forefront, making some really gorgeous music with her sweet, lilting and emotive voice.

This...
Published on 14 Mar. 2013 by Victor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tracks but a voice too sweet
I love many of the tracks and much of the musicianship on this album but I struggle to get on with Heidi's voice. It is surely sweet but to my ear this becomes sickly and slightly shrill, lacking warmth, depth or edge. I'll have to accept that Heidi's voice is not for me and stick to others for my folk fix.
Published on 7 Mar. 2013 by Emma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels Without Wings: Heidi Talbot - I'm not sorry for listening to this delightful record, 14 Mar. 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)

This album gives us a set of Celtic folk influenced songs, telling tales of love and the tangled messes that it can cause. Lyrically it is a delight, and Talbot's voice is so clear you can hear every word. It also benefits from a gentle production, that accentuates Talbot's voice and pushes it centre stage.

If I have one criticism, it is that for me the album lacks a little in bite. The tone is, through out, very sweet, and I felt there was room for a darker edge to some of the tracks that would have given the album a little more contrast and made it more interesting. But for all that it is still a gorgeous album.

I had the pleasure of seeing Heidi Talbot, her husband John McCusker and Ian Carr in concert in Pocklington very recently, as part of their tour to support this album. It was a delightful night and I can really recommend seeing her live, as when she has an audience to interact with there is an added layer to her music. And there was a good natured, warm hearted banter between her and her band mates that made the audience feel very welcome.

4 stars for this album. It's got some real high points and is generally a suite of beautiful sounding music, but it does suffer a little from the lack of contrasts, hence losing a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really beautiful, 21 Feb. 2013
A wonderful album by Heidi Talbot, formerly lead singer with the American/Irish all girl band, Cherish the Ladies. Mostly penned by herself but some collaborations including Boo Hewerdine, John McCusker (her husband), Tim O'Brien and King Creosote (Kenny Anderson). Also some fine duets with the aforementioned Tim O'Brien on When the Roses Come Again - (my personal favourite), Louis Abbott on The Loneliest & Kenny Anderson on Button Up & Will I Ever Get to Sleep?

Simply a joy to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Record, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
This is the first albulm bu Heidi Talbot I have listened to, but many of the songs are real gems. The whole record is beautifully played and sung. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi Talbot with tenderness and sensitivity - wonderful!, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
Wow Heidi Talbot! I found this album after trawling the Amazon archives for something like this and I found 2 albums by Heidi Talbot - simply amazing. The most beautiful voice and with a tenderness truly captivating. 'The Last Star' and the other album 'Angels Without Wings' I would not be without in my collection. From 'The Last Star' - 'At The End of the Day' - is magic and you will have to play it again - and again. From 'Angels Without Wings' just listen to 'Wine & Roses' and 'When the Roses Come Again' - just very beautiful. Spoiled rotten with these two albums and both are 5 Star!.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an album!, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
Went to see Heidi, John & Co in Bradford upon Avon and bought this and "Last Star" on the strength of that concert: For me this CD just edges it over the other one - but both are excellent for umpteen reasons. I've had both on in the car and they have smoothed several what would otherwise be mundane journeys. The vocals are sublime (with great harmony vocals from other "names"), the variations in styles is great - and well, the overall musicianship is wonderful. Needless to say... I recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ARTIST, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
AFTER HEARING THIS ARTIST ON THE RADIO I BOUGHT THIS ALBUM AND CONTINUOUSLY PLAY IT IN THE CAR.

GRRRRRRRRRRRREEEAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOP BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to listen to., 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Heidi Talbot until I heard "Wine and Roses" played on the radio. On the strength of that one listening I ordered the cd from Amazon. The album is a joy. Heidi Talbot has a wonderful voice that we do not hear enough of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
Heidi Talbot has a beautiful voice. This CD is lovely and has some very good songs on it. Worth a listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi Talbot, 5 Oct. 2013
Quentin M. Sayer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
What a great CD. This lady has a great voice and one I heard by chance on the radio. A great addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi sings like an angel, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (MP3 Download)
This gets better every time I listen. Have now heard some of her earlier albums and standard is great throughout.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›