1,433
Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU
Size: 430WStyle Name: Semi-Modular CablesChange
Price:£39.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
As a computer technician and part-time system builder i purchase on average around 50 power supplies each year and the CX600m is my go to power supply. If i have to replace a power supply in an office computer or low/mid end gaming system then this is the one i usually recommend to people, naturally that also depends on what (if any) graphics card you use or plan on using.

With the TDP (watt usage) of many computer components coming down each and every year the need for 800W+ power supplies is reducing year on year and we have now reached a situation where you can run a high end gaming system off a 600W power supply (depending on the parts you use). This power supply offers a dedicated single +12V rail which will be compatible with most components. I also like that the cables are fully-sleeved which keeps everything looking neat and tidy and for those that worry will the cables reach in a full tower (E-ATX), the cables are extra long so they will fit even the largest of cases.

Being a Semi-Modular power supply means aside from the two motherboard connectors 1x 24pin and 1x8pin (which can be split in half if your board only requires a 4pin) all the other cables can be plugged in as and when you need them which makes installation ten times easier and also means you don't have spare cables around the back which in turn makes cable management a breeze especially in smaller mATX cases.

Verdict: Good quality Branded Power supply which comes with all the cables you could possible want, being a semi-modular design simply makes it easier to handle and install, Bought many of these over the years and if you are looking for a 600W unit then i honestly wouldn't bother looking at anything else especially when you consider Corsair include a 3 year warranty! Recommended!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 May 2013
Cables are minimum 600mm long with the floppy cable reaching 760mm. So plenty of length here for a tower system.
Main connector 24 pin ATX
1x 8pin cpu power connector (8pin/4pin - it splits for compatability)
4x PCI-express cables (8pin/6pin - 2 split off if needed) (I needed 2 for my card so this allows for an sli expansion later on)
8x Sata connectors
6x peripheral 4pin molex style connectors for drives/fans etc.
2x floppy connectors (going unused by me but still useful to have)

Power
+3.3v @ 25A
+5v @ 25A for 130W across 3.3v and 5v combined.
+12v @ 62A for 744W max (Very nice for even the most demanding graphics cards)
-12v @ 0.8A for 9.6W
+5Vsb @ 3A for 15W

Accessories
1 mains power cable (3 pin uk) with molded plug + fuse
A bag of black cable ties for tidying up your new cable jungle.
4 screws for mounting the psu.

It went in without a bother and is quieter than my case fans.
I give this 5 stars because this is a bargain (currently 30% off rrp) for what you get from a quality maker of hardware plus this is 80+ Bronze efficiency rated and comes with a 3 year guarantee .
This has more cables and power than I currently need so plenty of room for later expansion.
I was considering the 600w cable management version but for the difference of a few pence it was silly not to get this one.

For something that is attached to all your hardware and a critical piece of kit, you do not want to skimp on quality with a psu, it is worth it for having peace of mind rather than the false economy of buying some cheap high wattage psu that could fail in less than 2 months.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 May 2013
Ill dive straight in

Pros
It is very quiet and as your playing doing tasks or whatever on your computer you are not going to hear it.
All cables needed are included as well as some removable ones, in case you don't need them.
The cables are sheathed to stop them from being damaged
Supports bottom mounted and top mounted PSU installation
There are stickers on either side of the box so that you can read the model number and name either way if it's installed up or down in the case.
It remains cool and will supply easily enough energy for your graphics card

Cons
one problem, mine didn't come with a sticker but that is the least of my worries;
overall the quality is extremely good and this PSU performs excellently. Well worth the money

Note
I had a cheap PSU 500w that kept surging the motherboard, luckily it din't damage any components. That is why i purchased a new PSU
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 March 2014
This PSU is from a very reputable company. The build quality is awesome, the efficiency is fantastic and it powers many different PC parts with ease. It runs cool and quiet.

It runs these parts with no problems:

MSI Micro ATX motherboard
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon R9 270X (Windforce, Gigabyte)
4x Arctic cooling F12 fans (full rpm)
1x Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
1x AMD Athlon 750K (overclocked to 4.0ghz)
8gb RAM
on 16 February 2013
This PSU is quite powerful at 62A on the 12V rails and I got it for a nice price at around £65 and is currently powering my machine that has an i5 3570k, a EVGA GTX 680 SC and 16gb of corsair vengeance and it is quiet about it.
on 12 December 2014
I bought this power supply to replace one that had completly died on me. I saw the hundreds of reviews with 4 to 5 stars and as usual I ignored the 1 and 2 star ones - saying "these are probably one offs". Little did I know that I was about to become one of those "one offs".

My intial thoughts when I first took this out is damn, I made a mistake. I thought I was buying the semi-modular model without realising I had to select it from a drop down. A clumsy mistake. I will blame the fact that I did this on my phone (as I said, the power supply on my computer was dead!).

But what a mistake it was. Compared with my previous one, there were so many wires! Too many in fact. I appreciated some of the extra ones as I had a couple of converters with the existing psu that I was able to remove, but there were then far too many!

The other problem was that the way that my computer is set up, the orientation of the SATA power cables were the wrong way, and so I have had to twist it awkwardly for all 3 of my SATA devices. I am prepared to say that this is just my computer and not everyone will have this problem. But part of me thinks that it isn't. It is standard setup to have SATA devices at the front and the PSU at the back, and it is standard to have them all the right way up!

Anyway, I pressed on. I managed to plug everything in, and did my best to tidy the plenty of other cables that there were left over. 1 positive is that they provided some cable ties albeit small ones, but still, I found them useful so well done for that.

Once everything was plugged in, I found my first problem. The switch on the back of the PSU was faulty. When I tried to click it OFF, it wouldn't fully press into the off position and then would - bounce(?) - back into the ON position. I thought this was odd, but I was able to look past it. To be honest, I don't really use this switch apart from when opening up the computer and since it was stuck in the ON position which is where I want it to be 99% of the time, this was fine. But still, this is a fault.

Moving on, everything worked. But after a couple of weeks, the power was cutting out again. The behaviour was strange. It would cut out and then the computer would try and switch it self on again but was cutting out before it could, on a loop. I would compare it to trying to start a car on a flat battery.

I initially didn't suspect the power supply at this point. I thought, there is no way it could be this brand new top seller on Amazon. Given that this all started with power problems, I suspected that this was something else. Nevetheless, I thought this behavious was unusual.

Sometimes, after a day or so, it would work fine for a week, before repeating the symptons.

When it was working, I noticed in the BIOS that the 3.3V cable was showing that it fluctuating between 2.7V to 3.0V and was coloured red.

After 3 and months of this behaviour coming and going, I decided that the 3.3V being too low was not good.

I came back onto the product page and decided to read the 2 star reviews to see if they had similar problems. And they did! They too had problems with the supply out of the box!

Amazon has a 30 day return policy and this was way past that, but I spoke to them and they arranged a replacement unit.

I installed this unit last night. The first thing I noticed was that the ON/OFF switch on the back worked fine! I was now able to press it OFF and it would stay there! I have also looked at the voltages and they all seem stable - for now.

I will now monitor over the coming months. I hope that I had just had 1 faulty unit and this one will work fine. I just felt everyone should see this!

I have rated 3 stars because when it works, it is a good PSU. But there are too many cables and it seems their quality control process needs to be looked at. Kudos to Amazon for the replacement!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
I've used a few of these power supplies going back a few years now. To date I've not had any issues with any of them.
The newer version got uprated to 80+ bronze (v normal 80+)

Pros:
+ Good price & performance
+ Fairly quiet (it's not silent but very little noise from the unit- variable speed fan)
+ 80 PLUS Bronze certified, good energy efficiency
+ Decent bundle, you get a case badge, cable, screws, cable ties (small point but a nice touch)
+ 3 year warranty
+ Active Power Factor Correction (some ultra cheap PSU's don't have this)

Cons
- Not many at this price point, hard to fault it really

Overall I've been very happy with the units I've bought and have no issues to date.
I have used a few cheaper power supplies, but in general this is the unit I use for replacements PSU's. Once you factor in the longer warranty and energy efficiency, you don't really save anything buying a sub £20 power supply

For ultra silence or quiet pc fans this is fairly good, but there are even quieter units (or passive PSU's that cost more). I don't have any complaints about the sound of the power supplies they are pretty quiet overall.

You can go modular or not, I tend not to but it's nice to have a choice. Cabling is a good length with decent sleeving on the cables. For a basic, decent quality pc power supply this is a very good option. You have a choice of power outputs, but 430w is enough for most computers unless you have a fairly meaty graphics set up.

If I get any problems with the units I have, I'll update the review to reflect that. Thumbs up from me
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 December 2013
At first i was really annoyed, the first psu i received was faulty, there was bad coil whine and it didn't seem to be giving out the correct voltage output stated by Corsair. I dreaded a long process of having to wait weeks to get a replacement but to my surprise, i got it literally the morning after i sent mine back (this is probably because i had paid for one day delivery on my first order) but it still proves what a great service you get when buying directly from amazon, something which i will be doing more often.

I bought it to replace the 460w psu in the dell xps 8300, which after 2 years suddenly exploded, smoked and leaked all over the motherboard. Somehow the motherboard was still working after cleaning off the residue and this has been powering it fine ever since. This new psu i received has no coil whine or that annoying slight buzzing noise near the cable plug i noticed on the other one. Cable management is really great and it is indeed very quiet, i can barely hear it when my pc starts even though it is currently sitting outside the actual pc case (as i'm planning to build my own rig soon) On load it's noticeable but not distracting and the fan noise from my graphics card greatly overpowers it. I'd recommend it to anyone building an average pc for surfing and light-medium gaming, it does its job well but i would go for one of the other higher end series from Corsair or Seasonic if you want more performance and reliability.

I've only had it a couple weeks so will come back to edit my review after the rest of my pc is built.

Edit 1: 28/01/2014
My build is almost finished and everything has been great so far but last night was the first time i had any concern about the psu. First here's my specs:

Asus P8H77-M PRO
Intel i7 2600
Noctua NH-L12
8GB Samsung DDR3 1333hz
Samsung EVO 120GB SSD
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

As you can see i don't have a graphics card yet (waiting for Asus R7 260 to come in stock on amazon) so for the past month or so i've jus been using my onboard graphics to watch videos and do some very very light gaming/3d modelling/programming etc.. Without the grunt of my old graphics card, the psu has become a lot more noticeable however it's still pretty quiet and practically inaudible on idle.

The problem-
Usually my pc is on for about 4-5 hours per day and you can hardly hear anything apart from the case fans. However, yesterday i had it on for about 12 hours (the longest its ever been) and after a few hours watching films in fullscreen, a sudden "ticking" or "chirping" noise started, kinda like when you put a card on a bicycle wheel or when a fan is hitting a wire (which it isn't). Being a pretty quiet build i was very worried seeing as it was loud enough to be disturbing when i was around 4 meters away.

I know it was the psu as when i put my ear against the case the noise was clearly coming from the bottom where the psu is located and even louder when listening from the exhaust grill bit. After exiting the fullscreen video, the noise slowly got quieter until it was normal again. I then tried to continue watching the film and the noise was slowly coming back, at this point i shutdown my pc and began researching the problem to find it wasn't that uncommon for this range of corsair psu's to do this and even some of the higher end ones had this problem but not as widespread. It sounds a bit like this but not as bad as their one i think [...]

I still havn't come to a clear conclusion as to whether it is normal or needs replacing. I'm guna take the risk and continue using my computer to see if the problem continues as i need to finish some work and can't really afford to buy a new one while i wait for a replacement. It's just weird as i've never heard the sound before as it's been running fine for weeks and the only difference has been that my computer was on for a longer time than usual that day, so i'm guessing maybe the temperature had risen to something that caused it? But that doesn't seem too likely as my room is quite chilly and the other components showed great temps. It's made me worry that the psu is degrading already and by the time i get my graphics card it won't even run lol

Btw, for those who didn't know, all of corsairs range of psu's are manufactured by different companys and i wish i had researched (even more than i did) before i bought this low quality one as i assumed all you had to do was pick your needed wattage and search for a well known brand that provides that but it appears even the big brands have their bad lines. However, maybe i'm just unlucky to have got 2 faulty products in a row so i havn't changed my rating yet until i can fully confirm the status of my product as it has been very quiet and efficient until now.
on 2 May 2015
I wanted to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 760, which needed an 8-pin power cable to use. I needed to replace my PSU to get this, and this was the one I bought. The item itself works flawlessly, is absolutely silent, powers everything fine and very efficiently. However, the reason I went for this semi-modular PSU over the fixed one was because I wanted to 'future-proof' my system to some extent, and after looking at the picture on Amazon I thought it had all the cables I needed and more. However, the number of cables it came with was far fewer than the image represented, and I actually ended up using all of the sockets and cables. It ships with 2 SATA cables, both of which have two connectors, but the cables were nowhere near long enough to reach both my optical drive and hard drive, which was what I had come to expect. Therefore, two of the 4 sockets on the PSU were already used up. I then used one more for the 8-Pin GPU cable, and one molex cable to power the case fans and LEDs, which meant I had used all of the sockets and cables it shipped with, which kind of defeats the point of a modular system. If I were to do this again, I would use the non-modular PSU version, which is a fair bit cheaper and would end up being about the same.
Maybe I just chose too small of a wattage for the number of cables I expected, or maybe I just didn't read the description well enough. Just something to consider for others out there looking through their options...
on 8 November 2013
Even though this power supply is a bit pricy compared to the cheaper ones it is certainly worth the money for anything above a low-end gaming PC or workstation.

If you compare the specs of this PSU to those of a cheap one of the same wattage you will realise just how much of a difference there are between the two. The most important difference is that the cheap power supplies use certain tricks to sell it as a higher wattage as possible by having dual 12v rails which isn't as good for stability as a single rail and putting all of the current capability on the 5v rail and as the 5v rail has far less load on it than the more important 12v rail it's entirely useless. So for example a cheap PSU could be rated for 100A on the 5v rail and only 20A on the 12v rail meaning that it could be marketed as a 750W PSU but it would barely be able to power a low end PC, the Corsair CX750 on the other hand can output 62A on the 12v rail meaning that it can output 744W on the 12V rail alone.

Another advantage of better quality power supplies is that they are more efficient meaning that they output less heat and waste less energy. A cheap PSU might have an efficiency of 60% or less meaning if it is outputting 500W then it will output 200W of heat! This fact alone means that good quality and efficient power supplies like this one will pay for them selves over time as they save you money on your electricty bill.