4.0 out of 5 stars sounds great
Connected my maxell system with an optical lead work's well in conjunction with the tv speakers when setting the sound level put the tv on mute first sounds great on films and music channels awesome on my Xbox all in all a great improvement on my tv speakers well worth the money
Published 16 months ago by dippymick

3.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't helped with clarity of dialogue
It's important to note that the effectiveness of this soundbase will very much depend on the devices you connect to it, the type of TV you have and the way you connect it as a result, so you may need patience and persistence to get the best out of it.
I mainly watch Sky TV (occasionally DVD) on a Samsung tv with only one HDMI slot. My main purpose for purchase is...
Published 16 days ago by DK

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable sound quality, but fiddly to set up, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
If I'd known how tricky this was going to be to set up, I would have paid a bit more for an alternative. The first problem was the instruction book, which has impossibly small print. I had to get the magnifying glass out, then two trips to the shops later for cables and I had it working. The remote control is about the size of a credit card, so fiddly to use. I only need it to adjust the volume, but it isn't very touch sensitive. I hope to be able to work out a way to use the TV remote for that too, but I'm too exhausted right now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely an improvement on TV speakers., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
Seems to be quite solidly constructed and has a non intrusive appearance. I connected the sound base to my TV via an optical cable. I have a Skybox and a DVD player connected to my TV via HDMI connections and all the various sources (Freeview, DVD,Sky) automatically feed to the sound base. The sound is certainly an improvement over the tinny speakers of my LED television. My wife and I sometimes struggled to hear the dialogue of certain programmes, especially as it seems to be fashionable these days for actors to whisper their lines. This sound base makes it far easier to hear what's going on! Hopefully, no more rewinding the program to try to hear what was just said!!
I don't think the quality of sound is at the high end of the hifi spectrum, and it's not as loud as I would have imagined, but it certainly gives more depth to dialogue and that was the requirement as far as we were concerned.
One very useful feature that I didn't expect is the ability of the sound base to automatically switch itself on and off.
Basically, when you switch your TV off, after a couple of minutes the sound base recognises that it has not received any input and switches itself to standby mode. Similarly, when you switch your TV on it recognises that there is input to process and switches itself back on and automatically reverts to the previous setting. Very useful.
Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maxell Soundbase, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
I like the look and it suits the four prong stand which supports my Samsung TV. Easy to connect even though the manual is very basic. Sound is very good for music and sound effects, but maybe coud be a bit more precise for dialogue (which is why I bought it).
But overall very good value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Soundbase review, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
A good improvement to the bass, but it would be better if the treble could be adjusted as well. easy to install.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
Purchased the 252 unit as the sound from my new LG TV was terrible. Connected the Maxell using the optical connection and was blown away by just how much better the sound became, Blu ray and DVD sound amazing and regular TV broadcasts benefit hugely, really beefs up the sound to mini-cinema like levels.

Negatives are minor, it could do with more sound effect presets, there are 2 for bass and one for surround (SRS), another level per pre-set would be nice. Also the unit is quite big with a sizeable footprint, so make sure it will fit on your chosen TV stand before purchase. Biggest gripe is the remote, does what it's supposed to but is tiny and easily goes missing (at present mine is lost and I am trying to get a replacement)

Proper Cinema buffs will probably require more but as a simple device to bolster the awful sound from stock TV speakers, it really is spot on and at the price is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars dubiuos at first, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
was fed up with tv volume when watching films on media player-searched for sound bars and loved the look of this one and the fact it had the sub woofer built in. took 5 minutes to set up and the sound quality for the room is excellent. only 1 minor complaint- the remote could be a bit more substantial other than that very happy with the unit would recommend it to anyone wanting a stylish effective soundbar

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound, 31 Mar 2014
B. Day "Ben" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
Bought a cheap soundbar as my Samsung tv has shockingly bad sound.

Does the job for a cheap quick fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable sound for the price, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
Works with 2013 model LG smart TV.
Just read other reviews if you need to know how to set it up for the LG.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biuetooth would have made it 5, 6 Mar 2014
Paul "NS1000" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
Never have I bought something where I was in two minds about returning it. The sound out-of-the-box was disappointing, no better than my TV sound, I thought I'm returning it. After some bass/treble tweaking via the TV, my TV has no optical out so using the headphone socket, the sound improved and now after a week the unit sounds good, not great.

The reason I've decided to keep it is because the inputs make it so versatile. No more plugging/unplugging HDMI cables, everything can be left alone.

So cons;
Sound ok I have heard better soundbars around this price, volume via HDMI a bit low, remote, although it's not that bad it does work ok, does tend to rattle if you use Bass Boost 2, indicators could be better on unit, no bluetooth

Pros;
Versatile, looks good although big, and after a while sound does break in.

If it had been on sound alone I would say look elsewhere but as an entertainment hub, I have tablet, media player and laptop plugged in, it's worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker (Electronics)
If you're seeking multiplex cinema sound, look elsewhere and spend more money, but, if you simply want a decent sound from your flat screen tv at a reasonable cost, then this is a good bet. Wanted a soundbar for our 22inch LG bedroom tv and opted for the Maxell MXSB 252, because it ticks a lot of boxes: it's a soundbase rather than soundbar, so the tv sits on it, looks neat and signals from the tv remote are not blocked; it's well thought of by Trusted Reviews and user reviews are also pretty positive (the negative ones, it seemed to me, were largely from people who expected far too much for the money.); it has HDMI, optical and RCA inputs, so all manner of audio sources can be connected; and it's under 90. Tried it first of all with our six year old Panasonic 32inch lounge telly, which we bought originally because it scored well on sound quality compared to its competitors. In addition this tv only has an analogue RCA audio output, so didn't expect any great improvement in sound quality. The difference in fact wasn't stunning, but was appreciable, certainly a clearer and richer sound. However, when I connected it to the LG via an optical cable (not provided, though an RCA one is) I realised how good the Maxell is. A thin, tinny noise was replaced by a rich, warm, true stereo sound with more than enough bass for us. (Both the SRS Sound and Bass Boost features add to the overall quality.) Setting up in both cases was simplicity itself, a single cable from tv to soundbar. If a set-top box, PVR or DVD recorder need to be added, it will be more complicated and the manual is pretty sketchy, though it does include a Soundbar Usage Flow Chart, which seems to cover all connection possibilities. I did contact Maxell via their website before purchase to check what cables were included and was pleasantly surprised to get a comprehensive reply within twelve hours. Any cons then? Yes, the remote is a small, tacky, fiddly thing, not designed to be used in poor light or by people lacking manual dexterity. Even with this, however, it gets easier with use. So, overall, don't expect surround-sound hi-fi, but you will get improved quality for a modest outlay.

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›