5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Gangs - True to Life
Published on 29 Nov 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish
Poorly written,very amateurish attempt to tell a tale of so called gang activities.I,m not sure why I didn't put it down half way through,Utter rubbish!!
Published 7 months ago by Michael shenton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Gangs - True to Life, 29 Nov 2002
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book about young crime. It is true to life of how teenagers are forming gangs to terrorise certain people. What I enjoyed about this book was that deep down the youngsters really do care about the peoople who live in their area. They help them out, mostly financially, in various ways. You cannot help but like some of the characters and in a strange sort of way understand where they are coming from. They live in an area where there is obviously racial tension and poverty and it shows in their ways of how they deal with this. Although it is fiction it is a true to life account of youngsters these days living on an estate which could be anywhere in England.
I went through many emotions when reading this book. Some chapters of the book were upsetting, some made me laugh and some made me cry. I enjoyed the fact that I could easily visualise the story whilst reading and would love to see it in drama/film version.
I look forward to reading either a follow on to this book or another book by this author.
The front cover of the book is excellent,it has captured exactly the sort of person the book portrays and draws you towards it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Gangs - True to Life, 29 Nov 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, compelling, disturbing, 31 Jan 2003
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Paperback)
Like it or not juvenile crime plays a central role in daily life in the 21st century, in reality and as a source of entertainment. I find it a subject both repellent and fascinating: I don't want to know about the cruelty and the violence, and yet I do.
Murphy's book is an easy and most importantly an authentic read which satisfied both my fascination and disgust. This guy knows his stuff and I can't imagine he learned it from books or watching The Bill. In terms of style 'The Young Gangsters' could be an early Jack Higgins. In terms of subject matter and the unthinking level of violence think Clockwork Orange.
Are there really people out there like the fashion-conscious big spender Jimmy and his gang? Unfortunately yes. Can I understand how he got to be how he is - yes it's all too clear. Does he and his lifestyle represent the future of inner city life? God help us, probably yes. Would I want him living anywhere near me? I'd move house tomorrow.
So where is the fascination? The characters are not only credible but solid, three-dimensional human beings. They are the sort of teenagers you'd cross the street to avoid but there is also kindness, vanity and pathos. They are the underbelly of urban life but still live by a strong and idiosyncratic code of honour. In different circumstances they could so easily be your or my children. The book is an obvious candidate for TV or film; it's easy to see how it would work visually, especially the scene on the roof of Kings Cross.
Murphy seems to write from direct experience; he has a natural gift for story-telling. I haven't come across his work before. What else has he written? And is that his real name?
Tell me more stories, EJP, about the dark side of London. And don't hold back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book -A must read, 19 May 2006
T. C. Jolley "barnsleybookworm" (barnsley uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Paperback)
A stunning book-I was drawn to it by the cover of a young teen guy probably with a heart of gold,but born in the mean streets.

You do feel the characters lifestyles in the book,lives of abandonment,drunken parents,street kids,latch key kids,no parental love,no affection given to them.

Despite their inner hatreds the psychological part of the story really draws you in,disturbing visualised violence from the writing takes you into fear,but the violence is never indiscriminate it always has a reason,even if a twisted reason you can see the popint the gangster teens are trying to make,its about revenge,its equalling the scores for someone defenceless whose been hurt,its about obviously the gang survival and making money,there is most definitely a brotherhood of the guys in the gang and a code of honour,you can't help but feel these guys are doing so much bad,but wanting to put the lives they have into so much right thinking.

Its just they don't have the train of thought to do it.Its a case of bare fists,kicks,violence and results by instant gratification.No political lets-talk-it-out's here.

A fantastic book,I read it in three days..Gripping-couldn't put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 8 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Kindle Edition)
I have been looking to much through rose tinted glasses. This book opens your eyes to what really goes on in the real world. Couldn't help but like the lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Kindle Edition)
Never heard of the author before but I hope he writes some more books of this type, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and all I can say to those who rubbished the book is go back to reading plato's republic or the rise and fall of the roman empire they are more your sort of reading matter.

4.0 out of 5 stars would make a good film, 22 Feb 2014
Mr. P. Martin - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Kindle Edition)
Not bad, story is quite engaging and the different characters make it interesting . a decent story to follow.
All products of there environment !

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Kindle Edition)
I didn't know if this book was fiction or non fiction it read like a tv film not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Young Gangsters (Kindle Edition)
Great book straight into the thick of it real page turner would recommend to anyone that likes crime storeys five star read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›