5.0 out of 5 stars MY NEW HONED AND TONED BODY
Well, what can I say now that my body isn't carrying much fat! I began this course some two months ago and gave it my all, followed every routine religiously and now I have reaped the rewards.
Published on 18 Nov. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice motivational tool
Written by a man who really cares about physical fitness. Bronson will really give you the push you need. Its really no nonsense and does'nt pull any punches. Theres some nice tips in the book which are really useful and its certainly worth a read.

Saying that, the diagrams / pictures illustrating some of the exercises are not good. I'm familiar with most...
Published on 24 Sept. 2011 by Blueferret

5.0 out of 5 stars MY NEW HONED AND TONED BODY, 18 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
This regime of workouts is an inexpensive way of toning and honing your body. I can understand how some people might fall by the wayside when it comes to this sort of strict workout, but you have to be tough in yourself. And like the cliche, softies need not apply, this applies equally as well with this mode of body workout that sculptures you from head to toe.
So here I am, brand new and ready to pursue the rest of the course with gusto. I really have a lot to thank Mr Bronson for, although I'm sure he would rather be free in order to pursue his own dreams.
My whole way of eating has changed,which came about naturally and without any applied effort. Years of fat buildup dropped away to reveal my old self beneath. I really look forward to the exercises and feel that I now have more energy, although at first I felt very tired after each exercise routine.
True, this is not a workout for wannabe body builders. It is, though, a practical way to tackle and change your unhealthy lifestyle, which it has done for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solitary Fitness, 29 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
An interesting read, that does 2 things. Firstly, it improves the physique and general fitness. Secondly, it gives an insight into Charles Bronson, through his narrative and unique pictures. For the price the book is informative and good value way to improve fitness and physique on a low budget and without having the hassle of joing a gym. Great for these credit crunch days!

Perhaps the most unusual chapter is on the solitary organ- how to improve sexual stamina, strength and health of the organ in question! Possible a great confidence booster to those searching for more length, girth and performance!Throw away all those gimmicks, apparently all you need is a heavy towell!

Overall, a good book for the money and in these frugal times when we are all searching for ways to achieve the same effect for the minimal outlay.

A word for the publishers- it would be nice if the photos had better definition, otherwise the drawings get the points across.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's Crazy - But I tell you what - It only bloody works!!!, 18 Sept. 2009
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
You know what, I can't believe I found this book on Amazon!

A few years ago I went through a fitness spurt and came across this book in a local 2nd hand store in Newcastle - I think that's where the book is published and printed too by the way. Anyway - I told my mates down the pub about it, as it's a bit of a laugh - I mean, come on: Charles Bronson's solitary confinement work out. Everything about that is hysterical. My mates started to rip the michael out of me and we all had a good laugh over a few beers... the thing is the joke was on us, because I started doing a few of the simple exercises and THEY ONLY BLOODY WORKED DIDNT THEY!!!!

Now, I - let alone my mates - couldn't believe it, but over the space of a month I got ripped to hell. I turned from a 9 and half stone weakling into a solid lump of rock - I tell you no lies.

The book itself is a good read too, and a funny, if not slightly scary glimps into the mind of someone who has spent faaaaaar too long in solitary confinement - I mean the guy is clearly mad. And after reading this you're left with no doubt about it. It's clearly evident after page 3. I mean there are chapters on how to clean out your stomach with a ball of crumpled up plasters (you attach it to a bit of string and swollow it) there are penis exercises, and my own personal favourite - a chapter dedicated to learning how to knock out a cow with one punch - all this interspersed with Bronson's mad and disturbing drawings, motivational rants and utter nuttiness. Not to mention the odd nugget of wisdom and insightfulness.

But I say it again: in amongst the madness there are moments of pure genius. And his work out works. It really does. think about it; this man has had nothing to do his whole life except research how to become fit and strong and then practice becoming fit and strong. And then become fit and strong. He knows nothing else and he knows his stuff. Another thing I should mention is it's all stuff that doesn't need any equipment (other than bucket and a bed because that's all he had in his cell) and its all based on isometrics and using your own body weight etc. Press ups form a large part of his routine - they are a favourite of old Charlies and he's proud to tell you how many he can bang out in a minute - in fact I think he holds the world record for various press up records if I remember rightly.

Now, I swear down, this is true right - I was in the pub again about two weekends ago and bumped into an old mate I hadn't seen for a while and he asked if I was still doing 'Charles Bronsons' workout because he remembered how ripped I got in the space of about 2 weeks.

Also, at the time I was doing Bronson's workout, numerous friends started to comment to the point where I thought they were all still taking the mickey after their initial jibes and our initial banter, but they have since convinced me that they weren't and were genuinely amazed. In fact, they still talk about it today from time to time.

Fact: I have only ever had girls rub my chest and feel my muscles admiringly twice in my life - and it was when I was when I was doing this routine. It was 2 girls at the same time too, which does wonders for a mans ego, I might add.

It was so effective it's always at the back of my mind to get back on his press up system and other exercises (as I said before its all isometric stuff for those who are into fitness - I'm not particularly- but I now know what that means) and really, it does still pop up as a topic of conversation amongst mates years on, as they say: ''Hey, remember the time you did that Charles Bronson solitary confinement workout and started growing muscle!!''

One more thing: It's starts with a contract you have to sign, a contract to yourself - but he also says, ''do this workout, and if it doesn't work I'll give you your money back'' - well Charlie, keep my money mate because you spoke nothing but the truth - in fact I'm pretty sure if I wanted to, I could even knock out a cow now! A great book on so many levels - funny and effective. In fact, I'm going to dig it out again tonight it's time to take the safety of the guns and fire up the barrels Bronson style!!! I'm gonna clean out the chambers with his pyramid system I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 6 Mar. 2008
S. Jacobs - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
Brilliant book. Mr Bronson has put together a great manual for straightforward no-nonense strength training, cardio fitness and general well-being. He has mastery over his subject and is the living embodiment of what he preaches. Whether you are experienced in fitness, strength and health or new to the subject, this book has much to offer

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining author who clearly knows his stuff, 30 Oct. 2011
Theo (Gondwana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
I originally wrote this review for Amazon's US site, where some of the others already up (including the then "most helpful" one) were flat out wrong. There were two misconceptions in particular that I wanted deal with.

First, Bronson DOES offer a cohesive program. Those who say otherwise have frankly not read the book - or at least, have not done so in any meaningful sense. His program consists mainly of body weight exercises, although there's quite a bit of other stuff, such as isometrics, thrown in. He also assigns a great deal of importance to stretching. And yes, he does spell out exactly how to put it all together: specifically on pages 118 through to 129.

Second, while this is not by any means your garden variety fitness manual, and is truthfully not for the faint of heart, it is also neither confusing nor poorly written. Quite the contrary: it is easily the most entertaining fitness book I have ever read and is - with very rare exceptions - entirely clear. The only occasions on which I had any difficulty at all with the text was in sorting out exactly how to perform one or two of the exercises, but I stress that the difficulties were no more pronounced than with any other book on this subject. Putting precise body movements into words is always a bit of a challenge. Fortunately in our era of YouTube, it's very easy to see the exercises demonstrated just by looking them up; although on that point I should caution you that there are occasional minor variations in terminology. However, once again I stress that this is no more the case with Solitary Fitness than with any other exercise manual. And even with such minor differences, I had no real difficulty in sorting things out.

Those were the two areas where I wanted to put paid to some of the nonesense to be found in the other reviews. Having taken care of that, there are now two other things I myself would like to say about this book...

The first of these is that this is a genuinely inspirational work. We certainly don't get all the usual stuff that people think of when they hear the word "inspirational". No choirs of angels here. But far more importantly, the book is inspirational in the literal sense. It forces you to take a second look at all the reasons you have for not exercising, and face the fact that it's all a complete load. If this guy can do what he does with all the limitations that he has in his tiny cell, then I can certainly get off my behind and make something happen in my world. As it turned out, Bronson's own program is not right for me. I suffer from chronic fatigue and could never handle his approach. But he has jerked me out of my own resignation, and yes, inspired me to think more creatively about what I can do within my own limitations, just has he has explored to the fullest what he can acheive within his.

The other matter that we all need to face up to - the elephant in the room - is that there are really two quite distinct issues here: the man and the book.

The book is... Well, it's a good book. It just is. The guy knows his stuff. Obviously I can't tell you I've tried it and it works; in fact, that's the main reason why I can't give the book five stars. But as someone who has read very extensively in this field, and who at one time before falling ill worked out quite seriously, I can tell you that this book is the product of a very knowledgeable individual. As another reviewer has already summed it up: "This program wont blow you up like a bodybuilder, but get you fit like a mountain lion". That's as good a way as any of explaining what this book has to offer. Although even I must admit that I don't entirely see the need for the colon cleansing routine that's included!

As for the man... quite frankly it seems to me that most other reviewers who have addressed this issue seem either astonishingly naïve, or at the other extreme, positively medieval in their attitudes to crime and punishment. But it's not like I actually know Bronson, and anyway, you obviously have to make your own call.

What I will say is that that like it or not, it is on the cards that this man will some day be released from prison. And given that he's never actually killed anyone - or made off with billions in other people's life savings - that's not entirely unreasonable. Furthermore, writing books such as this one may well be his only real chance at building a non-criminal life for himself. It is therefore in everyone's best interests to see that he gets that chance. It's worth remembering that groups representing the victims of crime have been known to actively support increased spending on helping prisoners transition successfully to outside life. Not because the people running such groups are such a saintly bunch of martyrs that they're intent on living up to the biblical injunction to love their enemies. But rather, on a more pragmatic level, because they know full well what happens when ex-cons fail to make that transition. And they're not looking for opportunities to expand their membership.

I'd encourage anyone intent on boycotting this book to consider the real world, long term consequences of their actions should their campaign succeed - and should Bronson one day be released. Sabotaging the attempts of violent criminals to build a legitimate life for themselves may be viscerally satisfying for some people. But considered in terms of its actual likely consequences, it is not a particularly well thought out move.

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable and compelling read, 18 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
Solitary Fitness Is a book that delivers on it's promises, and a lot more.

The Exercises in the book are remarkably effective at building up strength. As an amature boxer and tennis player I needed to build up strength without sacrificing stamina or speed, and the routine laid out in this book is doing just that. Not only has it increased my muscle mass and general fitness, but has helped me straighten out my posture and solve the occasional back pains that I would get.

The routine is difficult, and unrelenting at times (six days a week), but that is the way proper fitness training should be. I add a little to some of the exercises based on my fitness level as the book suggests, ie I do the pressups with a backpack full of books. Some of the exercises are more than enough on their own.

The only problem I have been having is with my wrists (which are a bit weak), but I work through the pain within reason; and modify a few of the routines to take the strain off a bit.

The book combines these great routines with some great motivational therapy and superb dietry tips. Sometimes you almost feel as if Bronson is breething over your back pushing you on.

Sometimes I feel that it is the down to earth fanatics like Bronson that our government could really do with to sort out the chronic lack of fitness of our nation. Imagine how much NHS funding could be diverted elsewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 star? Clearly have no Dedication!, 30 May 2012
W. Jackson (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
This book is fantastic - why the 1 star? Its clear reading the reviews they have no desire to knuckle down hard & follow the book step-by-step. I even read 1 review who gave it a 1star & they said they returned the book unread!

Anyway, in order for this book to work you must have the Three D's - Desire, Discipline & Dedication. As he says in the book "don't do as I say, do as I do!". It requires hard work but its a hell of a lot cheaper than splashing out a fortune on gym memberships. The only downside IS the pictures - however I did the following to help me:

-Pen & Paper
I wrote down the exercises to save me flicking backwards & forwards from pages. Any exercises I wasn't sure of - simply take a look on Google Images!

You need to stick at it every step of the way & not give in. My motivation was having a bet with my mate (who went to the gym) to see who could look the leanest. He might have been lifting weights but nothing beats the strict correct form of lifting your own body weight! I'm so happy with my fitter, leaner body, & you will be too, providing you stick with the Three D's!

5.0 out of 5 stars who would have known, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
Such a small book could have such a big impact? I am 40 years old, male, and have never been particularly proud of my body, I have been slightly overweight since I was a student. I have messed about with a few diets, tried to keep up a half hearted weights routine, nothing had any effect and I would get bored and forget it. This book is remarkable in two ways. It keeps you interested in wanting to succeed and in no time at all you really see the results of your labours. I have been doing the instructed exercises for a month and yes I have lost some weight but more importantly, to me anyway, I see a much better shaped body like I have never had but always wanted. It's true you do NOT NEED weights, you use the resistance of your own body. I am slowly working on the tummy area but I am ASTONISHED at my chest and shoulders!!! in such a short time, that's what keeps you going, knowing if you keep it up you are going to look and feel amazing. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The updated version is very educational, 18 Jan. 2007
Mr. J. O' Keefe (Romford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
There appears to be two versions of this book because people are offering used copies for sale when the book has not even been released yet. I can only guess that they are selling the older version under the guise of the new one. To clarify, I have a copy of the old one which has a pic of Charlie along with two black and white photos of a male and female. THATS THE OLD VERSION from a few years ago. The updated version released 19th Jan 2007 has just a picture of Charlie on it and has updated input from a variety of people along with a part on training with disabilities, heart problems. So if you do buy this book - make sure you get the Jan 2007 edition and do not get duped into buying the older version under the guise of it being the new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
Unable to afford 60 quid gym membership I bought Bronsons book and its changed my outlook on fitness and life. No more moaning that I can't pay silly money to workout with a load of pampered Jessies - JUST GET ON WITH IT THE BRONCO WAY. See you in civvies Bronco.