5.0 out of 5 stars Hurt's like hell
I picked up this book from my local store on Saturday afternoon. I then read it within eight hours as it was so shocking that I couldn't put it down.

Sara Davies book is one of the most horrific stories that I've read in a long while. Throughout reading the book I laughed, cried and felt very angered at times.

This author deserves nothing but...
Published on 10 July 2006 by Rosy

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story
The story of Sara's upbringing is tragic to as the least. The first half of the book is engaging and well written, however, midway the story and writing appears jumpy and sentences long winded and repetitive. Still, it's an interesting read.
Published 21 months ago by Melissa

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurt's like hell, 10 July 2006
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Hardcover)

This author deserves nothing but admiration and one hundred percent respect for being courageous enough to write this memoir!

Her father disgusted me, and made me feel physically sick at times. Her mother was of no use what so ever, never showing her daughter love or affection. Sara was treated like an animal and

has still managed to overcome all of this with no support. I totally admire her, although I haven't experienced anything like this author. I have had my eyes opened. Well done Sara! You are a true inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, 27 July 2006
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Hardcover)
I felt so close to this author because I suffered a similar form of abuse as a young child.

Just like Sara explains in her book there are too many of these stories left untold. This book has helped me to come to terms with what happened to me, and also tell someone instead of keeping things secret and feeling angry and hurt, because I feel so alone.

I've only ever read 2 books like this one and I can say that this one is just as good if not better than The Little Prisoner and Behind Closed Doors.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tear-jerking, appaling story, brilliantly told., 5 Jun 2007
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Paperback)
This horrifying but compelling book is simply a must read for all! I wish the author all the best for the future, and hope that she never has to deal with anything like she has so far in her life. She deserves happiness from now on. Thank you for sharing your story Sara. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I found this book, 29 Aug 2006
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Hardcover)
I have been reading true store life abuse stories since I first read `A CHILD CALLED IT' This one tells of yet another child who slipped through the net.

Raised in a mixed race household, by a west Indian father and a white mother, Sara witnessed a life on an estate at its peak. Her father was a well respected man in the neighbourhood. A drug dealer and known to use his house as a cheap bar, with Sara herself serving alcohol to the local residents from a very young age..

It's not the life that most of us are accustomed to, yet we all know that this form of abuse has and will always exist. Her father used to touch her and it was kept their secret, due to his manipulative ways of silencing her. He used to touch her and he made sure that she held her secret, and told her not to let anyone else do the same.

Not fully understanding what he was doing to her, or that it was wrong, Sara remained innocent until, he gave her a present for her 5th birthday. He raped her. Scared and alone, he told her their relationship was special. Sara had now become his lover.

Her mother battered and bruised, loved him, and would allow his cheating and take his abuse, even to the point that she allowed this to go on right under her nose , and became jealous of her own daughter. For years the abuse went on, time off school became the norm. He kept Sara away from getting an education so that he could spend more time with her alone in the house while her mother was at work.

After years of torment, Sara finally found the courage to speak out, after her father told her that he wanted her to have his child, and it became obvious that he didn't care who else had abused his daughter either. She finally spoke out, but her life had already been tainted to depths that are unimaginable. Her life after her father was out of her life was still full of hurt, her mother never showing her daughter any love, her family not supporting her. She tried a few different jobs. Modelling, singing, but all are tainted by her past.

This book dispels any feelings of self pity, but one of hope, that people like Sara can come through all of this and still be a happy mother of six, and write a book in the hope of helping others.

5.0 out of 5 stars So honest!, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Running From The Devil - How I Survived a Stolen Childhood (Kindle Edition)
This is a truly remarkable lady who has come through a horrendous journey to be where she is now. I read this book in a day as was desperate to get to end in the hope her life was some what better! Child abuse is still a tricky subject to write or read about, however this book gives a true, factual account of her journey to survive and overcome her past. The honesty in this books is remarkable and you can visualise the pain this lady has been through, but thanks to her children and nana and grandad she has finally been able to. I never like reading these as such, however books like these raise awareness and give other victims a chance to find their voice, it's a privilege to share this experience as I'm sure lots of tears were shed in the process x x x

5.0 out of 5 stars HEART RENDERING, 16 Aug 2007
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Paperback)
THIS TRUE STORY HAD ME GO THROUGH SO MANY EMOTIONS THROUGHOUT THE STORY. A mixture of shock, horror and a real sense of a broken heart for the author. When i read this book within a day and half as i could not put it down in sheer exasperation for the author.
The journey through sara davies's life made me feel like my heart had been taken from my body and given an almighty squeeze.
To read this book gives us proof that there are some amazing strong and brave people in this world after being let down by the most unthinkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on the heart, but worth reading, 5 Aug 2006
This review is from: Running from the Devil (Hardcover)
I'd recommend this book to anyone who has had their childhood stolen by an adult. Or all that take care of the victims of child abuse. I found this book to be not only emotional, but educational too. I work in childcare and will definitely be recommending it to some of the teenagers and parents that I work with that have had their life affected by those terrible, sickening people. I would say that a child under 13 shouldn't read this book. And even after that age they should be guided through the story as its so unbelievably awful what happened to Sara Davies, she is a brave woman and a real inspiration. After reading this book, I certainly feel that my job is worth getting up in the morning for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story, 24 Feb 2013
Melissa (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 4 July 2014
Good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this, 24 Jun 2014
heartbreaker how can someone survive such cruel treatment. I couldn't put it down . recommend this as a good read