5.0 out of 5 stars A thrill of a thriller!
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by matt_smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Trapped in a rubber room with a good view
Published on 29 July 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrill of a thriller!, 3 Mar 2002
This review is from: Night Sins (Paperback)
I first heard of Night Sins when I saw it on BBC as a two part thriller. It was absolutely brilliant but since, after contacting the BBC, I found it was not available in video format, I opted for the book. It is a good as the film, which I might add, was followed almost to the word by the T.V. series. A great book, even if it is a little long. Buy it, you are guranteed a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ - MUST BUY, 31 Oct 2001
This review is from: Night Sins (Paperback)
I got recommended Tami Hoag, as a mix of Patricia Conwell and Barbara Taylor Bradford. This is not far off. Each book has the same principle, hard female character battling against the world, and a strong male character, sex and relationship will they won't they, as well as the plot on the dark side of crime. And Night Sins is no exception. I had about 4 or 5 characters that I thought may have kidnapped Josh, but the twist at the end WOW! And when you get to the end, their is a sequal, must read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great read!, 30 Sep 2000
This review is from: Night Sins (Paperback)
This book is truly great, a fantastic twist I could'nt put the book down,every time I turned the page there was a new suspect a new twist,what a great ending! I went stright out to buy guilty as sin,what a twist! can't wait for the next one,carry on with the great writing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Trapped in a rubber room with a good view, 29 July 1997
By A Customer
Unlike some other reviewers, I don't object to the way Tami Hoag ends "Night Sins". When you write vividly enough to describe an unhinged Catholic deacon as "a few beads short of a Rosary," observe that your protagonist has hair "the color of Cherry Coke," and dismiss late-night TV as a haven for infomercials about "spray-on hair," you've earned the right to take chances. Hoag is also quite good at rendering the different kinds of anguish suffered by the parents of an abducted child. But she's too enamored with the inner lives of her cops. We know the cops are attracted to each other and not as tough as they seem because Hoag stresses those points in what must be every third scene. Megan's bluster soon became as cliched for me as the "silky, dangerous voice" and piercing looks favored by Mitch. True love in two weeks. Jeepers! No wonder CBS bought TV rights for this. It's a sure sign of trouble when your favorite character in a story is neither protagonist nor antagonist. Mitch and Megan can have their soap opera. I'd want Natalie, administrative aide to the chief of police, as my neighbor.

3.0 out of 5 stars awful characters but a taut, well-crafted plot, 29 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Plot alone earns all three stars. There were moments when I read this book that I literally moaned "this is so TERRIBLE" out loud. The two main characters are just terrible: how can such undisciplined hot heads hold responsible positions in the law enforcement community? The villian just doesn't make any sense: he's killing other kids at eight, but just kidnaps the little boy for the sheer fun of holding the kid long enough to be caught? No way. Read the serial killer literature to get just a little sense of where this guy would really have been headed. Margaret Mitchell used the smoldering sexual tension between her characters with magnificent artistry. Hoag just makes her cops look incompetent, juvenile, and utterly foolish. And jeez, isn't Mitch kind of sleezy, basically pawing at her and drooling on her with a few loutish compliments thrown in as his excuse for "charm." And he does this after challenging her professional competence at every turn; and, Hoag demands, we're supposed to think she likes this degradation. Plot alone carries this one. Nothing else here to admire or even like.

4.0 out of 5 stars From one Minnesotan to another - great job Tami!, 28 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This was my first Tami Hoag novel and was quite surprised she is from Minnesota as well as I. So this made the reading more interesting because I could relate to the way the story played out in a Minnesota winter (loved the time and temp readings at the beginning of each section). It's also fun to pick out names of local places and references to the Twin Cities. I felt the story itself moved well, but it did drag in a few places. I came to like and respect Megan O'Malley and Mitch Holt for who they were and who they wanted to become. I specially liked the catfights between Megan and the reporter Paige.
I don't necessarily consider this story a thriller , but more of a mystery drama. I would like to read the sequel Guilty As Sin as well as other Hoag novels to gain more of a feel for Tami Hoag's writing. So far it works and I suggest you read this book on a hot summer day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Them Coming Tami!!!, 3 May 1997
By A Customer
A rating of "10" hardly does this book justice. I believe it's one of the best I've read!! (I read approx. one book per week)! This is definitely a book you will want to read in one day! Tami keeps you in suspense throughout the entire book - to the end and beyond. My friends at work and I have recently acquired the book - a few have seen the movie based on Night Sins. We have done nothing but discuss this story - I could have read it in one day! (I read it in two!) It's not often you find an author who can keep you in suspense with a truly believable storyline and characters that are real in your mind - Tami Hoag was able to accomplish that and more. I just began Guilty as Sin - it already sounds wonderful! There are very few "truly gifted suspense authors" - Tami Hoag has not only accomplished this goal, but has surpassed it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING THRILLER, 6 April 1997
By A Customer
It has been quite a while that a book has come along which not only kept me glued to my seat, but sent me on a search for every other Tami Hoag book in print. The characters in Night Sins were totally believable and identifiable. I especially developed a great affinity with one of the lead characters Agent Megan O'Malley.The story line was one that brought every human emotion into play. The search for the young child Josh created the cold dark terror that only a parent can know. You agonize every step of the way with Josh's parents because everything appears so real.This book was made into a T.V. mini-series and rightly so. Tami Hoag deserves many accolades for this incredible heart stopping book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Sep 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Night Sins (Paperback)
First time I have read a Tami Hoag book, and was completely enthralled, the characters were so real, Mitch and Megan had me rooted to the book, and I so wanted to shout at Hannah that her husband was cheating on her, and thats the one thing that disappointed me they didn't deal with where Paul was during the kidnapping! I am hoping that it is going to come out in the second book I think although you have read a book the story has been so left open that the second one is going to keep you mesmerised and answer so many questions that this book left open, a very clever piece of writing which makes you need to read the next edition! I will be reading alot more of Tami's books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good thriller that is worth reading. Lots of twists., 13 July 1999
This review is from: Night Sins (Paperback)
Night sins was a well-written thriller, dealing with the emotive subject of child-kidnapping. A tense story which is everybody's nightmare keeps you turning the pages; you are not sure all the way through whether the child has been murdered or not. Suspicion moves across the various key characters one-by-one and you are never quite sure where it will end. Sub-plot of a passionate, if a little obvious affair between two of the key characters provides romantic/sexual flavour.
The ending is slightly hurried and therefore a little disappointing in effect although the conclusion is sound in terms of the story.
There is a sequel as well - Guilty As Sin?