Style Name: datAshur 256-bitSize: 32GBChange

on 26 January 2015
This is exactly what I was looking for. It allows me to keep all my passwords in a secure manner, as even if it is stolen, it cannot be brute forced, and has a very high level of security.

How it works,
- once a password is set, you are required to enter the passcode/password into the Stick before entering it into the computer,
this is around 7 to 16 digits,
- this allows you to plug it into the computer and use it as a normal USB Stick.

- until the password is entered, the stick is not usable, it will not respond to a USB port.
- it cannot be brute forced, as after 10 failed password attempts, the stick will delete the onboard encryption key
removing the only key to access the data.
- the contents are encrypted with AES256, with simply means that if someone managed to copy the data off without entering the correct key,
they would not be able to decrypt the data with a reasonable time (based on current computing this would take billions of years)

So you can afford to drop it in the street with valuable data, and not have the faintest worry
(unless you wrote the password on the back of the device!)
on 3 July 2013
I got this key to compliment my 8gb Ironkey which can't handle very large files... Overall it is an excellent USB key but the one thing I will say is that the transfer speeds let it down...To be fair it doesn't mislead about its transfer speeds but you would just expect a USB with this premium price tag that they would be much faster where in reality, my Ironkey is much much faster at transferring data... Then again, the Datashur can be used on almost any system with a USB slot whereas the Ironkey can be fairly limited to certain OS's.

Overall though this is a great USB and very very secure... A great buy if you're not overly concerned about transfer speeds.
on 5 July 2015
I have used the "professional" versions of these drives and they have been very good. I like it that they do not use an "decryption" partition like IronKeys and so are usable on pretty much any device regardless of OS. With that in mind I wanted a drive to hold a secure backup of all my passwords, id certificates etc. and as the "personal" versions gave a larger capacity for the same price point I chose one of those. Setting up is fiddly but once it's done actually using the device is simple. After setting it up I tested the device by writing a couple of files and locking / unlocking the device. However when I actually started to copy my sensitive data across to it the device just stopped working. Windows complained that the device was malfunctioning and the LEDs on the Datashur flashed their error pattern. Removing, unlocking the key again and inserting it again gave the same error. I tested it on another computer and the same happened. This was not a formatting problem but a device failure. I performed a full reset but after unlocking the device it would fail when inserted into the computer. I was going to send it back but then realised that I did not know what "state" it was in when it failed and whether the reset was actually successful. Therefore sending the device back could mean if Amazon did not securely dispose of it, or even sent it back to the manufacturer, my sensitive data was at risk. It would not be an easy task to get to it but it was a risk nonetheless. I therefore have a device that functioned for no more than 20 minutes, which I cannot return. So that's £33 wasted. Please keep this in mind if you intend to store data on one of these for anything more than transferring securely from one place to another and then make sure that the data concerned can easily be replaced. This is NOT a device to use for secure backup / storage.
on 4 February 2015
This is perfect for me, I work between Linux, Apple and Windows machines so needed something that had no software agent. Just does what it says very well and without fuss....The buttons are necessarily a bit fiddly but you get used to them and I think in terms of size/usability they got that just about right.

Speed isn't as bad as some have suggested, it's certainly fast enough for the sort of files you would regularly need to transfer securely, maybe not fast enough for heavy media use but if you need to store your videos on AES-256 encryption then...that's a worry.

Price..well for me £100 to not have to worry about what was on a lost memory stick and who found it ever again is worth every penny.

Read the instructions before use, misskeying codes too many times will result in data loss. I'd make sure you have the data somewhere else, but that is always true for any storage device so not a problem.
on 20 November 2012
Great product. It does it all for you. No more mucking about with software. It just works. Not the cheapest of solutions but definitely the best!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 September 2014
Style Name: datAshur PersonalSize: 8GBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this frustrating and difficult to work with.

The instructions simply were not clear enough and the butttons are very small if you have large fingers.

After much trying to get it to work, without success, I eventually gave up.

Its also very expensive for storage of this size
on 16 July 2013
This is a great product for people looking for secured key!
It does not have all the cumbersome of other products I have used. Quite straight-forward in setting up and using.
Highly recommended.
on 16 December 2014
This device sounds great on paper. There's no way a keylogger can log the pin code used to lock it and it locks itself when removed etc.

The first issue you will encounter is that you need to saw through the packaging to get to the device. It works fine initially with the default pin code set on the device, the problems start when you try and set your own. As other reviewers have said, it takes a couple of attempts to get to grips with changing the password. It is not as simple as it should be, and this is coming from a technical user. I actually think almost anyone who buys this device will be more technical than your average man on the street so be aware.

My particular problem with the device is that after setting a password successfully it will randomly reset back to the default pin: 11223344. When it does this ALL YOUR DATA IS LOST. Note that this was not a result of entering the wrong pin code 10 times which is a great security feature. The first time this happened I thought it was a fluke, but it has happened twice since. It is a fault with the device.

The problem with devices of this kind is that people will invariably store personal information on it and sending the device back for a refund is a not something I am comfortable doing.

As great as I thought this product would be I can not recommend it. I am not sure if I received a faulty unit but I am not going to return it to find out as I don't trust that my data is not still stored on it. It is also pretty expensive for the storage space you get.
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2014
Since USB memory devices first came out, I have bought many for myself and other staff. The first ones were approx. £70 for 256MBytes. They were often lost especially by Sales Engineers. Although they were told NOT to store sensitive data, I knew they would. I tried using software encryption such as Truecrypt, but this could be bypassed and data stored without encryption.

This iStorage cannot be bypassed, a user password HAS to be entered or it cannot be used. I will be replacing all USB memory with these iStorage ones.

The first security 'feature' was the packaging. It is no exageration that it took 5 minutes to extract the USB memory and quick start guide from the plastic display package, being careful not to damage either.

After reading the quick start, press the key symbol then the default 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4. and the key symbol again and a green unlocked padlock LED starts to flash. You then have 30 seconds to plug it into a USB socket or it locks again. You will find a .pdf user manual is the only thing on the drive which is well worth downloading and reading.

A simple procedure allows the User password to be changed from the default. Each member of staff who is given one of these will be asked to do this.

A master Admin password can be set to allow the User password to be deleted and reset. I will be the only person who knows this.

Great device for anyone who travels with sensitive data. Not cheap but then, what cost would the data be in the wrong hands.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2014
The consequences of losing a memory stick go all the way from minor inconvenience to major disaster. It makes a lot of sense to protect the data on a stick if you really don't want anyone else to see it. An encrypting flash drive is one way to achieve that.

Because the encryption and decryption are done in hardware on the stick itself, this flash drive works with any operating system that accepts ordinary memory sticks with no need to install special software. iStorage make various claims for the security of the encryption, but this does not appear to extend to official FIPS certification. Nevertheless, for those of us who don't carry top secret material around the encryption is probably perfectly adequate.

The stick has both User and Admin level PINs. This means that a parent can manage a child's stick or a business can take control of its employees' data. The encryption hardware can detect brute-force attacks and disable the stick if too many bad PINs are entered. These extra features are useful, but don't get in the way of normal everyday operation.

The stick itself is easy to use. Press the "key" button, input your PIN and press the "key" button again. LED indicators tell you when you've got it right, and then you have a few seconds to insert the stick into a USB socket. When you've finished with the stick, eject it like any other flash drive. It locks immediately you remove it from the socket. There a credit-card sized guide included with the packaging and a full manual in PDF form on the stick itself (you can also download it). A Li-Po rechargeable battery keeps the on-board electronics working.

As with too many products of this kind, the packaging is unnecessarily difficult to open. Other manufacturers provide tears-strips on their blister packs - iStorage should do the same. The stick itself is made of the kind of cheap, low-density plastic that feels as if it would break very quickly. To be fair, this may be an effect of its "tamper-evident" construction. As for speed, nobody buys an encrypting flash drive expecting it to be blazing fast. I recorded 2MB/s write speed and 10MB/s read speed. Not very fast, but OK for normal use with moderately-sized documents.