5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius
Really didnt know what to expect with this. Had never heard of the band, but had heard Pompeii played a few times on the radio and really liked what I heard.

Published on 18 Mar. 2013 by J. Piper

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - terrible songwriting, lazy, bland.
Poor song writing, repetitive, boring.

In my opinion, this is what's wrong with pop music nowadays, too much hype, not enough substance.

This album bored me and I indeed regret actually purchasing it.
Published 2 months ago by Mr. Shan Jiang

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 18 Mar. 2013
J. Piper (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Download)

Listened to the sound clips on amazon and liked what I heard so took a punt and bought the album. Wow. I cannot think of a time when I have been so quickly hooked on the first listen to an album before.

Usually I end up having a couple of favourites on an album and skip past the rest of them. With this album it is different however. There are so many great tracks on there, that I happily listen to the whole thing without skipping. If pushed for some favourites then I would say Pompeii, Things we lost in the fire, Bad Blood, Weight of Living PtII, Laura Palmer and Oblivion. Standout track for me though is Icarus - I looooove the intro to it and a really catchy chorus. Have already listened to the album at least a dozen times and still loving every moment.

One of my top 10 all time albums (and I have hundreds of them). So good that I bought it twice! - once from amazon but then also from apple so that I could have it on my work ipad (which has all sorts of security on it which means I cannot plug it into a pc or download music apart from via itunes). couldnt bear to be away from the album during the day :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine debut!, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
This album is all in all pretty good. From emotional soaring melodies such as 'Overjoyed' to quirky ballads such as 'Flaws' it brings an interesting sound to the table.

I can't help but feel Bastille rather overplayed their hand in the lead-up to this album, on first listen I had already heard 6 of the 13 songs. It left it feeling more like a collection of singles than a complete album. Perhaps some tracks should have been left as singles too as it feels like the album has tried to get to many different sounds into one space. There are, however some excellent moments. 'Weight of living, Pt I' and 'These Streets' harp back to the original quirkiness and excellent melodies that first caught audience's attention in 'Flaws'. Some of the lyrics are a little bit bland or un-inventive which brings me to my final summary.

All in all this a a good, solid debut with soaring melodies and well crafted music to back it up. It is slightly let down by the fact it seems some-what unrefined for an album that was a fair while in the making. Very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but i was miss lead., 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
Love the CD although didn't have the same songs as the other. if your wanting more you need to buy the CD with the car on the case as it has 2 CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 4 July 2013
G. Weatherburn (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
love every track. saw them live at glastonbury and they were amazing. cant wait for the next album. definitely one to watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of catchy anthem-like songs, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
A strong album from beginning to end, there isn't really a track I don't like and I've been playing it in the car for weeks without changing the CD. My 8 year old loves it too. I've read a couple of reviews in the press that don't rate Bastille, "too commercial", "not original", "more of the same" and I think that they are being unfair, Bastille's music is of a certain genre, but the tunes are strong, the topics are original and the production is excellent. If you like Snow Patrol, Kasabian, Coldplay or the Stone Roses then you are probably going to enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Download)
This album is just superb. Can't stop listening to it. The main 'hits' are excellent, such as Pompeii and Flaws, which I was immediately attracted to when I first downloaded this album. However, I kept listening to the other less well known tracks, especially Weight of Living, Pt II and Icarus, and I can't sum up their quality in one word. Great album, buy it, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps, 29 July 2013
Alsatian1 (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Download)
This album was a birthday present to me, I has heard of the band and was aware of a song or two but never really paid much attention.

A couple of months passed by, still I had yet to listen to it, my ears still belonging to jack savoretti, Rebecca furguesson and Ben Howard.

One day, I decided to shove it in the car stereo on the way to work, then once I had heard it, it could go into the glove box to never be seen again...

However... Upon listening to the album for the first time, I experienced goosebumps like I've not felt from an album for a long time. The harmonies of the vocals are euphoric, spine tingling and haunting. The music is uplifting, depressing, invigorating and relaxing all in the same breath.

This band, to put it simply, are amazing. The intensity of the sound (even through my fiat pandas speakers) is breathtaking. I have bought so many albums this year and last, and this is absolutely one of my favourite ones.

All from a band I nearly didn't even give a chance to. Bastille, you have my apologies for my ignorance, and also my adoration for the quality of this mesmerising and spell binding masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love it, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
This is the cd I have on all the time in my car at the moment. I love his voice I love the drums I love the songs it's a great cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive and rousing feast, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (MP3 Download)
A text-book pop album full of upbeat, catchy choruses and singalong backings. The inclusion of delicate slow numbers like Oblivion mean that this formula does not become tired. It is testament to strength of the album in that the familiarity of the songs is not a drawback as the album deserves, and is just as addictive with, repeated plays

Several of the songs should be familiar as I believe four have been released as singles. A good live show too as evidenced at recent Radio One Weekend.

The only letdown is the song Icarus which starts nicely with tribal style drumming but the chorus is a bit weak lyrically.

As far as styles go they are probably a little more toward the indie spectrum than The Script with Jack Penate-like vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't help but love this album, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bad Blood (Audio CD)
I just can't help but love this album and it is hard to pinpoint why.

It is all very over-the-top dramatic, all so emotively sang, full of synthesised parts that should sound 80s and dated, over-reachingly ambitious lyrically ('Pompeii' and Icarus'), prone to too many syllables - 'Pompeii' - "devi-i-i-ices" and in "Get Home" - is Dan Smith really singing so achingly about finding his way home after a night out and having a few too many?

But each song sweeps and swings in and out with such bombast that it leaves you wanting to sing along with all that you've got and finding yourself utterly convinced by each word that amazingly tufted-hair genius sings! Oh what a heady world the world of pop music is!

Bad Blood