Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 23 August 2013
The magical romance side of this book in definitely not mills and boon. Baglietto engages the reader from the start and I couldn't put it down. The characters are great, some having their faults and seem "real". The story line is intriguing and this is what kept me reading on. The descriptions of the area in Wales where the book is mainly set are superb. The book is great---so read it .
on 24 August 2013
What a brilliant read the book kept you completely enthralled really strange and exciting at the same time can really recommend this read.
on 1 January 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but from the first chapter I was hooked. The story is very well-written and the characters are immediately likeable and intriguing. The setting is beautiful and the book was very easy to "get into". The character of Nell was well observed and I also felt that the author wrote well when writing from the children's point of view.
Nell arrives back in her old home village after years of living away in London as a single parent of twins, nine year old Joshua and Freya. Abandoned by her husband Silas when the children were just two years old, the shy, timid Nell has become stronger, determined to give her twins the best life she possibly can despite her own feelings of grief and inadequacy.
Her strength is tested when she runs in to Daniel, who was her major crush at school. Many years ago he had been party to a cruel trick played on her by Lauren, the school queen bee who was dating Daniel at the time and is now his ex wife. Despite her reservations, Nell is won over by Daniel who is genuinely sorry for his part in the incident and the two of them begin a tentative relationship, despite the scars inflicted on them by their previous marriages.
Never far away, though, is the shadow of Silas. Who is he? Why do some of the older residents of the village remember him with adoration? What is in the box hidden in Nana Gwen's bedroom that he has asked her to keep secret? And what is so special about Joshua?
When Silas returns to seek out his son, life is completely shaken up for Nell, Daniel, her children, and for several of the other villagers, but Silas himself makes a discovery that changes everything he had assumed about himself. All of them must face up to the truth of the past to find a way to the future...whatever that future may hold.
This is a beautiful romance with a sprinkling of magic. Read it and be enchanted.
on 31 March 2013
This is part modern romantic novel and part fairy tale. I think the author has done a great job of merging these into a seamless whole and I really enjoyed the book.

I loved how I could relate to the characters and their lives; and yet once I did, the book took me on a journey to the unfamiliar!

An excellent and unusual read.
on 27 January 2014
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It had everything, love, hate ,happiness and sadness, simplicity yet complications. It was a good wins over evil and a happy ending all in one. I bought two other titles by Valerie -Anne Baglietta straight after I'd finished reading ''Once upon a winter ''
on 7 May 2013
I didn't know what to expect but was very glad I randomly selected this book.
It was a very enjoyable read with real characters-well, as real as a fairy tale can be!
I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who likes a love story with a slight supernatural flavour.
on 19 May 2013
An engaging tale of relationships with their mixture of emotions but with an unexpected twist. A good read that certainly kept me reading into the night but for me a twist that I found hard to accept, although others may enjoy such a departure from reality.
on 4 January 2014
For those of us who still have the little girl inside us that loves a fairytale, this read is a must. Beautifully written and with that touch of magic. I couldn't put it down. Brilliant. Will be reading many more by this author.
on 15 December 2012
Loved the cover of this book, so evocative. The first few chapters give us a few clues that all is not as it seems and the mystery deepens. Now read on! A good read especially in this cold winter season
on 22 January 2013
When I started this book I thought it was going to be a typical chick lit book but it had a different element to the usual chick lit. I really enjoyed it. I had enjoyed a previous book by the author.