on 23 March 2013
As a mother of four girls I have always had questions about when to potty train, when should my girls goes to bed. This book is beautifully written, giving you an insight into other cultures and how they bring up their children sitting seamlessly with the Mei-Ling Hopgood's experiences with her own daughter Sofia. I would recommend this book to any parent who has ever questioned their parenting skills, a beautiful book not to be missed.
on 3 February 2013
With a 10 wks old and 5 year old, I really found this book interesting. It makes you realise that there is no right or wrong way to bring up children, only different methods.
on 18 March 2013
As a mother of two I was reallly looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed. The book gives examples of parenting from around the world and it gave an interesting insight into other cultures and how they raise their children. I found it very enjoyable and I would definately recommend it to other parents.
on 13 April 2013
Although my children are past the age where I would usually be consulting parenting books I read this with interest and really wish I'd read it 10 years ago. In a world where too many aspects of parenting are handed down as hewn in tablets of stone it is refreshing to learn how things are done elsewhere, and to be able to adopt a completely different method secure in the knowledge that it is practised successfully somewhere. I found the chapter on potty training particularly thought provoking.
on 10 June 2013
Very insightful. As a first time patent to a toddler I found this book very interesting. As the author herself has said, parents in the west are very quick to judge each other on how they raise their children. This is most definitely true in Wales. As a mother I constantly feel guilty for going back to work, for continuing to co sleep with a toddler amongst other things as a result of other people's judgements. Therefore I was very pleased to read that many of these parenting choices are normal in
other cultures.
The book has also taught me about many parenting customs that I had never heard of but find fascinating and might even choose to follow. A great read, we in the west have a lot to learn from other cultures. It will help the reader realise that there are many different ways of raising a child successfully.
on 14 May 2013
I liked the start but somewhere in the middle I felt I was reading a university essay ,I did learn a few things but I was expecting more cultural diversity and less going over the same subjects in the same countries five times. I found it somewhat boring by the end and just wanted to finish it ,to be done.
on 10 June 2014
This is the first kind of 'parenting' book I have read that I enjoyed! It's not really a parenting book but more a cultural look into the different ways that other countries tackle everyday things.

As a first time expecting parent, I enjoyed reading about the different cultural references. How some of the western material things are not always as necessary as I first thought them to be and it has defiantly questioned some things I thought were just the way to do things.

I would recommend this book to my friends and family.
on 29 June 2013
I found this book a really interesting read. As a newish mother I began to feel liberated from the constraints our culture places on parents when reading how other cultures raise their children. For example, I no longer worry about occasionally breaking the bedtime 'deadline' after reading about the flexible attitude Buenos Aires parents' hold. My 14 month old has had no ill effects and we've had more fun as a result. Wish I'd read this book sooner and would recommend to other parents.
on 12 April 2013
I loved this book as its really well written, gets you thinking and is a refreshing approach for parenting! It has challenged me to think about aspects of how I parent and has some great and unusual suggestions for how people parent across the world - like in Buenos Aires where they keep their kids up really late!
If you looking to read something interesting and a little different then this is for you, I would highly recommend!
on 14 March 2013
The books lists different parenting practices around the world on various subjects e.g. Potty training to sleeping habits. Quite enjoyable to read.