‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely drop, 19 Feb 2013
M. Kendall - See all my reviews
Bought this for my wife (hardback = good pressie) and she loves it. She keeps laughing and reading out bits: both funny anecdotal stuff and bits about wine. She was a fan of the blog so I knew it was a safe bet. As a bloke I obviously know everything about everything, including wine, but I may well be sneaking a peek for the odd tip as it seems my 'second cheapest on the wine list' ruse has been rumbled. And you'll be glad to know there's no "Mmmm, I'm getting cut grass and just a note of wet labrador".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. At last: an unstuffy wine book, 5 Feb 2013
A very accessible guide to wine that provides the tools to confidently select the right bottle for the right occasion. Myth-busting and informative - and very funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Days and Holidays, 18 Mar 2013
Well, I'm usually a High Days and Holidays kind of wine drinker, and being a "knackered" mum of 3 primary school age children I don't often get the chance to imbibe.
And to be honest before having my mind, palate and purse blown wide open, I was drinking blind. Not knowing, caring or even thinking about what was passing my lips.
This book pours itself into your mind. As you laugh out loud (very frequently), you can almost feel the grapes beneath your feet, as though you are making the wine yourself.

This book has worked its' way onto my cookbook shelves and into the brains and affections of my friends - all of whom can say are fully paid up members of the "knackered mothers" club, oh yes.... and proud of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 23 Mar 2013
Fab book which is both funny and informative. Throughout the book there are useful hints and advice but without it being boring. Recommend highly to anyone-you don't have to be a mum!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Any BookCase, 14 Mar 2013
S. Riches (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Such a fantastic book and very enlightening. Written around one of my favourite topics, the wonderful hardback book offered lots of tips and advice on the best wines for any occasion. Dinner parties can always be troublesome when it comes to choosing the correct wine for each course, but this book will help you decide on the perfect tipple. The book can be read in bite size chunks and I loved the eye catching front cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and fact filled, 31 Mar 2014
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Knackered Mother's Wine Club: Everything you need to know about wine - and much, much more (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing value. I initially dismissed it thinking it was a chick lit read, mainly because of the title. Wrong. The writing is laugh out loud funny in parts. I'm sure many readers will be able to identify bits of their life and behaviours; Helen McGinn has a keen sense of the ridiculous and manages to make the mundane both interesting and amusing. So it works as a lively examination of how we behave when faced with a wine list, or an array of bottles on supermarket shelves.

But the real beauty of this book is that it's absolutely packed with information. About grapes, varieties, how and where they grow, how wine is produced, wine regions, how to taste, how to define and describe what you're drinking, why specific types of wine go well with some food and less well with other. In fact, the scope is encyclopaedic, but quite unassuming. If you have even the remotest interest in wine, you'll enjoy the majority of this book and probably learn something. It's never stuffy or patronising and I'm going to try a number of her tips next time I choose a bottle. It's fascinating and mind opening especially when you get into a rut with your favourite few types. And it takes away any mystery around label information and will leave anyone armed to deal with the most pretentious sommelier! It's a brilliant read and a giveaway at 59p. I'll be referring to it for some time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Education for all mums!, 17 Aug 2013
Perfect for any mum who, like me, is knackered and relies...sorry Enjoys a vino. I definitely now know the difference between a cab sav and a sav blanc!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easily read, 5 July 2013
Not a book to gulp in one sitting. Definetly a sip and come again kind of book. Its well written and easily read with a great big slug of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 30 Jun 2013
This is a very funny book and I intend to lend it to my friends. I loved every single page.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy informative read, 24 Jun 2013
Informative while being an easy and fun read.
I have a copy on my Kindle app and have given one away as a gift which was well received.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›