on 18 March 2013
Well, I'm usually a High Days and Holidays kind of wine drinker, and being a "knackered" mum of 3 primary school age children I don't often get the chance to imbibe.
And to be honest before having my mind, palate and purse blown wide open, I was drinking blind. Not knowing, caring or even thinking about what was passing my lips.
This book pours itself into your mind. As you laugh out loud (very frequently), you can almost feel the grapes beneath your feet, as though you are making the wine yourself.

This book has worked its' way onto my cookbook shelves and into the brains and affections of my friends - all of whom can say are fully paid up members of the "knackered mothers" club, oh yes.... and proud of it.
on 5 February 2013
A very accessible guide to wine that provides the tools to confidently select the right bottle for the right occasion. Myth-busting and informative - and very funny!
on 19 February 2013
Bought this for my wife (hardback = good pressie) and she loves it. She keeps laughing and reading out bits: both funny anecdotal stuff and bits about wine. She was a fan of the blog so I knew it was a safe bet. As a bloke I obviously know everything about everything, including wine, but I may well be sneaking a peek for the odd tip as it seems my 'second cheapest on the wine list' ruse has been rumbled. And you'll be glad to know there's no "Mmmm, I'm getting cut grass and just a note of wet labrador".
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 March 2014
This book is amazing value. I initially dismissed it thinking it was a chick lit read, mainly because of the title. Wrong. The writing is laugh out loud funny in parts. I'm sure many readers will be able to identify bits of their life and behaviours; Helen McGinn has a keen sense of the ridiculous and manages to make the mundane both interesting and amusing. So it works as a lively examination of how we behave when faced with a wine list, or an array of bottles on supermarket shelves.

But the real beauty of this book is that it's absolutely packed with information. About grapes, varieties, how and where they grow, how wine is produced, wine regions, how to taste, how to define and describe what you're drinking, why specific types of wine go well with some food and less well with other. In fact, the scope is encyclopaedic, but quite unassuming. If you have even the remotest interest in wine, you'll enjoy the majority of this book and probably learn something. It's never stuffy or patronising and I'm going to try a number of her tips next time I choose a bottle. It's fascinating and mind opening especially when you get into a rut with your favourite few types. And it takes away any mystery around label information and will leave anyone armed to deal with the most pretentious sommelier! It's a brilliant read and a giveaway at 59p. I'll be referring to it for some time!
on 14 March 2013
Such a fantastic book and very enlightening. Written around one of my favourite topics, the wonderful hardback book offered lots of tips and advice on the best wines for any occasion. Dinner parties can always be troublesome when it comes to choosing the correct wine for each course, but this book will help you decide on the perfect tipple. The book can be read in bite size chunks and I loved the eye catching front cover!
on 16 March 2013
Just finished reading this as I emerge from knackered motherdom dreaming of a life beyond cleaning and feeding two very small people. This book gives hope of an alternative life!
It's written as down to earth as you can about wine and sells a very nice lifestyle. Maybe one day I will have my store cupboard essentials list sorted but until then I have learnt a thing or two.
Tested this out when I took the book with me to buy wine for my partners birthday and found it useful, making it easy to branch out and try something new within budget.
The Knackered Mother's Wine Club definitely kept my interest up even if I can't retain everything McGinn covered!
on 12 March 2013
This book is brilliant. It's not just a book about wine - it's like a handbook to parenting as well - with random bits of advice about children's parties and is written in such a way that I could identify with the writer. Being a mother is knackering and the author has made me see that the quality of the wine i drink is important, rather than the quantity. It's a great little handbook to help you choose decent wine and gives lots of facts but not in a mind blowing way. I would really recommend this as a gift for fellow knackered mothers!
on 23 March 2013
Fab book which is both funny and informative. Throughout the book there are useful hints and advice but without it being boring. Recommend highly to anyone-you don't have to be a mum!
on 12 March 2013
I love this book. It is impressive in that it is packed full of interesting information but is also accessible to those who don't understand wine "jargon". Funny annecdotes and brilliantly written. I kept reading sections out to family and friends, who also enjoyed it and a couple have borrowed it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has an interest in wine and fancies a good giggle along the way!
on 27 May 2014
This book allows the reader to move from having a marginal knowledge of wine to gaining some real in-depth insight. It's written in a rather quirky, but nevertheless attractive style. Love the accompanying blog too, where weekly pearls of wisdom can be found on what good wines to buy. Thanks Helen, I look forward to a sequel when you are less knackered and the children have all grown up and left home.