5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!
Well built , very fast and so far very reliable . This is the second time I have bought a LaCie drive and would not buy anything else. If your are an iMac owner you dont need to buy anything else its a perfect match..
Published 20 months ago by Scaramouche

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY noisy
Disappointed to find how noisy this drive is. And despite the Thunderbolt connection, slower than expected. It arrived in an undented shipping box but when I removed the 'retail' box inside I found it was dented in one corner, which is worrying as it suggests the box has been dropped. It remains to be seen whether it has been damaged in any way.

On the plus...
Published 14 months ago by Nicola Savage

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, 20 April 2013
This review is from: LaCie d2 USB 3.0 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive (Personal Computers)

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY noisy, 21 Oct 2013

On the plus side, setting it up to handle my TimeMachine backups on my MacBook Pro running OS8 was quick and very simple. As you would always like it to be.

I am mystified by two thin white rubber strips about 4 inches long which were in the sachet containing the screw on base. Are they insulators or just packing rubbish? They don't fit anywhere obvious in the base.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but, noisy, very VERY Noisy., 10 Jun 2013
Simply this is a fast external HDD, using thunderbolt I am able to obtain the advertised transfer speeds which was a nice surprise. I am very happy with the performance, especially for the £232 price tag from Amazon. The only downside is it is unacceptably noisy. I read a couple of reviews an thought they may have been a little too sensitive to the noise. When you consider the USB 3.0 HDD I purchased at the time, that is virtually silent. It is noisier than my cheap 7 year old tower pc CPU fan,

Pros:

Fast transfer speeds
Looks good
Good Price
Sturdy Build Quality
Thunderbolt + USB 3.0 support.

Cons:

Slow spin up after it wakes from sleep.
Way too noisy.
Only 1 thunderbolt port, so, no daisy chaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacie 3TB fail and resurrection, 9 Dec 2013
Once I got this drive I literally filled it with the contents of 4 older Lacie FW drives. It took hours (at FW800 speeds) and then I used my CCC software to back up the entire drive which of course also took hours and then after one week the drive totally failed. Ouch!

As previously mentioned the drive was full of data so I chose to open a ticket with Lacie customer service and returned it directly to them for security reasons and I received the same drive back with a new 3TB HD fitted and since then no problems. Lacie also gave me for free the most repulsive rubbery pink Lacie laptop case for my trouble.... Mmmmm!

I have almost exclusively used Lacie drives for the last 15 years (and I have maybe 25 of them) and I must say I have been very, very happy with the level of reliability and customer service. I will continue to use Lacie drives unless this becomes a pattern. But I have to say that the loss of what is paramount to two days of my time filling and backing up this drive was a REAL waste of time and as I'm sure they say at Lacie, cest la vie. . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 7 Nov 2013
Bought to use with my 27" Imac which has a SSD internal drive so runs completely silent. The LaCie is quite audible on my desktop and sometimes annoyingly so. When not in use it goes quiet and takes a few moments to spin up when being accessed. I like the fact that it goes to sleep when shut down and starts when the Imac starts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 29 May 2014
K. M. Davidson (Delta Quadrant) - See all my reviews
While it works, no errors, is a bit faster that USB3, the following points I must raise.
1. Whilst installing the base plate it rattled (like a coin in a tin). Something not secured.
2. The disk after power up is rather noisy. I have two sea gates in my has, really quiet.
3. Lacie support is useless, they said it was the fan noise (no fan in this model) and the rattle they couldn't comprehend.
Solutions offered
a. Use a different power supply.(despite stating in the product that you must use their power supply)
2. send it for repair, of which to date they haven't identified what the fault may be.

Sigh , another entry for the lemon list

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this to run with Time Capsule via Thunderbolt on my Imac. I've never used Thunderbolt before and the speed difference is amazing.
The unit is about the size of a decent paperback book and practically matches the aluminium of the Imac.
It's easy to set up and comes with built-in software to help installation and product registration - I didn't realise it comes with a 3 year manufacturers warranty as well!
In use it's quieter than my previous external WD drive although the access light is quite bright. Not that I see that as a problem - it actually looks very cool.
Yet again, Amazon are quite a bit cheaper than the Apple Store

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit noisy but generally very good, 17 Sep 2014
S. Greig (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have had this connected to my iMac for the past 9 months and have partitioned it into two drives. I use one partition for Timemachine backups and the other as an archive of older RAW files. It just sits on my desk and does its job no bother.

Disk access times for the archive drive are not noticeably any slower than any internal non SSD drive as far as I can tell and Timemachine keeps working without any problems. I have restored from it once or twice and Timemachine opens quickly and scrolling back through time doesn't have any noticeable delay.

So on the whole, reliability and performance are spot on.

I only gave it 4 stars because it is actually quite noisy. When it wakes up from idle it makes quite a loud whine and when it is running there is a constant white noise coming from it. You stop noticing the constant noise because it is always there when the iMac is on. When the iMac is asleep something must wake the LaCie (maybe Timemachine) so you gt the loud whine periodically. Don't get me wrong, it is not a klaxon but I can still hear it spin up when lying in bed despite the computer being in a different room 2 doors down the hall. I can put up with it and this is a minor niggle but you should be aware if you like silence from your computer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ext HDD, 3 Nov 2013
Bought this drive as I wanted to have a Thunderbolt ext HDD for my iMac to keep my photo collection. Very solid and well built unit. Not too noisy (a criticism levelled at this drive by some other buyers)

Would recommend the drive but it is not a cheap option although Amazon was offering the unit at a better price than I found anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 11 April 2013
Good design. Although the speed is slower than the manufacturers claim, it is much faster than USB and I was able to transfer 1 terabyte of data quickly