4.0 out of 5 stars good sweetener
If you get this on S&S 15% off you will save about 75p per jar on current supermarket prices. This is worth doing, if you like this sweetener. It does have a number of health advantages, over sugar and artificial sweeteners, but don't confuse it with anything actually 'healthy'. It is highly processed and has no nutritional value.
I use it frequently, and find the...
Published 19 months ago by Flora Cake

2.0 out of 5 stars Lievia
Published 10 months ago by Michael

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Lievia, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
If not for largely doing what you'll buy it for I'd have given this product the minimum rating. The manufacturers have made their entire focus of the marketing for this sweetener its source in the stevia leaf, with green colours all around and much mention of its natural origin. It's only once you take a closer look at the ingredients that you find out what it really is: Erythritol, with 1 percent of a highly-processed Stevia extract added to increase the sweetness of the Erythritol, and flavourings to mask its underlying bitterness.

So why does it gain a star? Because as a cheap artificial sweetener it's actually a reasonably good product. Erythritol is one of a group of substances known as sugar alcohols. This group also includes a much more famous member known as Xylitol. Xylitol has become the most popular sugar alcohol in the world for two reasons: it has the same sweetness as sugar, and it's cheap.

In any group there will be leaders and laggards, and where Erythritol is the king of sugar alcohols Xylitol maintains the sewer system. Xylitol contains two thirds as many calories as Sucrose while the rest of it is unable to be digested by the body so it shunts it out as waste. Erythritol contains no calories and 90% is absorbed unchanged from the ileum into the bloodstream, bypassing the colon, and is subsequently excreted by the kidneys without causing gastrointestinal discomfort. The downside to Erythritol is that it isn't quite as sweet as sugar, so Coca-Cola and Cargill (the manufacturers) have added some Stevia extract to sweeten this Erythritol-based sugar replacement, and because it doesn't sound as glamorous have pretended that it's Stevia with some Erythritol added as a bulking agent. Some in this instance being a paltry 99%.

Shockingly dishonest marketing aside this is a convenient, nicely packaged, zero-calorie, healthy, and fairly good alternative to sugar. I say fairly good as a minority of people have a particularly strong sensitivity to bitterness and for them it tastes pretty awful. But for most the sweetness will overpower any undertones; having a taste for all manner of sugary goodness I find it pretty nice, although not quite the same flavour as sugar.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRID!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
Only a minute part of this product can lay claim to being Stevia.
One teaspoon/tablet equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar? In whose dreams?
The aftertaste lingers for ages, and is so chemical, it's not true.
NEVER again!

1.0 out of 5 stars It is absolutely nothing like stevia- its unbelievably sweet- its horrid, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
If you bought this thinking its stevia its not. It is absolutely nothing like stevia- its unbelievably sweet- its horrid. Silver Spoon have marketed this pretending to be a ntaural product. Instead its a ploy to trick and confuse. If you like your sweetner sickeningly sweet, then you may like it. However its not for my tastebuds and I feel that I have been misled into purchasing a product that is as far from stevia as it could possibly be. Marketing tactics brilliant- product revolting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
bought this because I am a border line diabetic and thought it would be a good idea. It sure is sweet, but there's a strong smell too which quite put me off.

4.0 out of 5 stars good sweetener, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
I use it frequently, and find the plastic jar to be a good size and shape for re-use for spices, milk powder, seeds, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strong, unpleasant and bitter flavour., 24 Mar. 2015
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
Well this stuff is OK if you only want a very slight sweetness added to something and therefore use only a very small amount. I bought this to sprinkle on my morning porridge, which I like quite sweet. Sadly when I added about 2 or 3 teaspoons of this stuff, it created a strong, unpleasant and quite bitter flavour. And the flavour stayed with me for ages afterwards. Sorry but this product is not for me - back to the Splenda!

1.0 out of 5 stars 1% stevia leaf extract.... What the hell is the rest of the 99%?, 8 Feb. 2014
Mustafa Salim "Musti" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
This is a con. Marketed and sold as a stevia product but it only contains 1% stevia extract.

You are better of with something that is pure and 100% stevia... like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Foods-Better-Certified-Organic/dp/B005F9XFN0/ref=sr_1_10?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1391872736&sr=1-10&keywords=stevia

1.0 out of 5 stars Good sugar/aspartamine alternative? Not so sure, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
I'm looking for a healthy sugar substitute that wont cost the earth. This is ok, has a bit of a bitter aftertaste and is not as good in coffee as the sukrin or anything else. But Im sure I could get used to it if I persevered with it. I emailed the company to find out if there was genetically modified ingredients in the product and asked what exactly were the 'natural flavourings'. They replied by explaining to me what erythritol was, which was NOT what I asked them, and they failed to answer any of my questions. So , this may be healthier than sugar / aspartamine but I doubt it is totally healthy and suspect there is gm ingredients in there somewhere. Has to be a thumbs down!!

4.0 out of 5 stars For people who don't like sweeteners, 16 Feb. 2014
Winter - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
I'm one of those people who has tried to change from sugar to a low calorie sweetener before but end up reverting back to sugar because I just can't stand the taste of sweeteners. Truvia is the best sweetener I have tried so far. I must first point out Truvia doesn't taste exactly like sugar. However, it has a sweetness that I can definitely tolerate and unlike other sweetener it doesn't have a chemical after taste. I also purchased Truvia tablet and I strongly recommend you stay away from those as for some reason the tablets don't taste anywhere near as nice as the granulated Truvia. Allegedly, if you consume too much of this sweetener it can have a laxative effect. I drink a lot of Tea and Barley Cup and take one teaspoon in each drink and I estimate that I consume 8 to 10 teaspoons of Truvia per day with no laxative side effects. For those of you who are looking for a much healthier alterative to Coffee may I recommend Barleycup Organic Caffeine Free Instant Cereal Drink 100g

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR DIABETICS, 23 Jan. 2014
Chris M. Dooks "bovinelife" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
This sweetener was on offer and I bought it as a high street alternative for my usual diabetic sugar alterntives. I bought a fair bit of it.

1. First of all, it tastes revolting. I've just had a cup of coffee made with a tiny bit of it on the tea spoon and I can only describe the taste surrounding my tongue and mouth as confusing. It has an aftertaste that seems to linger for about twenty minutes. Horrible.

2. It has no calories, but from what I've read online, it's still full of fairly difficult stuff for diabetics to process and seems to trigger the adrenols the same way as refined sugar - here's an article I found

[...]

Anyone want three tubs of the stuff?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›