5.0 out of 5 stars What to bake first
Published on 4 Mar. 2013 by Amanda j

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw away the old paperbacks!!!
Published 18 months ago by Pixies

5.0 out of 5 stars What to bake first, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I could not wait to get this book and at first view I want to try all the recipes. My husband and I are debating what to try first. The book has even inspired my other half to bake a cake ( that's a first) . Every recipe has a picture which I love as it lets you see what your cake SHOULD look like. Delia as usual has a lovely way of explaining things and she really inspires you to have a go and that everyone can make a cake. So far iv tried one recipe and it was delicious and even resembled the picture. I'm going to have to ration my baking to one cake a week or else I will be resembling one of the big fat muffins.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw away the old paperbacks!!!, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
The ingredients lists are in pale green(?) why? It is very difficult to see (for an older person like me, I have to take off my glasses to squint at them). They are not itemised one above another but in a block format which you'll have to read from left to right and missing bits in between. The font is quite small, again, not for people with challenging eye-sights. And everything is in metric. If you normally bake in imperial measurements, there is no bracketed imperial measurements next to the metric, so be aware, and no conversion tables.

The whole publication is very pale. just like the cover. the pictures of the cakes and bakes are very pale, especially the scones, looking a bit like polystyrene, not very appetising, you want to look at gingerbread? well you see some pristine brown squares on white plates. Ok, latest "cheats" use preformed greaseproof liners AND of course Silverwood tins.. good, but the pictures of loaf cakes all look the same inside this crinkley shop-bought preformed liners.. the whole impression is "Delia has left it all to her TEAM". Even the tone is forever the royal "We". I know it is supposed to be oh so stylish but ends up rather pale and bland.

The pages of my old Delia's Cakes paperback (now in tatters) are now enshrined in plastic sleeves protected inside a lever-arch file. Not parting with that one. What have you done Delia????

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Really good looking book. I understand what some reviewers have said about the font colour and justification used for the ingredients lists. It does make them awkward to read but I found I got used to it quickly and had no problem in good light. At least Delia is now listing the ingredients in the order used, a big improvement on previous books. Every recipe has a photo which is great. Most important of all, every recipe I've tried so far has come out perfectly, I'm a bit of a cookbook junkie and know that you can't say that often. I've used some of her tins for recipes where I had nothing similar and they were also great. Good old Delia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
This book is great; good down to earth recipes. Have tried about four recipes already and they worked perfectly. Book is very nicely illustrated. As mentioned by an earlier reviewer, the ingredients listings are in too light a font and a bit hard to see. I recommended the book to my daughter and ordered one for her and she loved it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I love this book because it's pretty yet practical. I have to say that I don't agree with opinions that the 'stylish' approach doesn't work - I think it's lovely - although I can see how people with less than perfect eyesight may find the text difficult.
As for the recipes - it's refreshing to find a book with recipes I would actually use and recipes that really do turn out as you expect. I have a host of books that have impossibly complex recipes that never turn out the way they should do. I think this is a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Delia!, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I wanted this book especially as it had a selection of egg-less recipes and they are wonderful, especially if you have anyone with an egg allergy. The Marmalade cake is lovely. This book is up to Delia's usual high standard and everything turns out well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame this book is difficult to use, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
I am a huge St Delia fan, owning many of her books. I bought the original "Cakes" book years ago in a car boot sale for a £1 so thought I would treat myself to the updated book. I am glad I only paid £5 for this version and here's why: the artistic design team have been allowed to go mad! Whoever thought it was a good idea to have all of the ingredients lists in small italic gold text - clearly not anyone who actually uses a cook book in a kitchen. The actual recipes are in tiny black text so also hard to read. But what about the photos you ask? Well they are numerous and very large. So if you want a nice picture bok then this is the one for you. I am going to keep using my tattly old £1 car boot sale copy as I can actually read the recipes. To me, it looks like Delia has had nothing whatsoever to do with the re-issue of this book. There isn't even a photo of her in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Best, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Like many other reviewers I have an original paperback copy of Delia's Book of Cakes and it has, over many years, fallen to bits and pages have been lost. I bought the new book and I am delighted with it. It simply updates and includes trusted favourite cake recipes with some new ideas and twists and like all Delia recipes, they really work!! Also, for amateur bakers her instructions are clear and simple. Molls Marmalade Cake, Squidgy Chocolate Cake with no flour,Fruity Irish Tea Cake, Chocolate Beer Cake, Carrot Cake and Lemon Curd Layer Cake are all much loved family favourites and delicious! I note lots of comments on the photographs but I would not have really noticed. After all the original book had none but we all still used it.In this era of sickly cup cakes which look amazing but taste of nothing but butter icing lets have a return to proper baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner which ever way you look at it, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
Bought a copy of this after losing my original Evening News edition. A superb range of recipes, beautiful photographs and a bargain price. Bought four more copies for friends as presents. A must if you enjoy cakes and biscuits. Brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw out your old one yet!, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
If, like me, you have been using Delia's original Book of Cakes for years,you will be expecting the same clear, easy to use format ie ingredients in bold and listed in a column. This is sadly not the case. Although each recipe is photographed, which is an improvement and there are some new inclusions and updates,the text is in a smaller font and the ingredients shown in a shiny gold, which is particularly indistinct when using a cookbook stand. This is an attractive book for browsing, but nowhere near as practical as the original.

Delia's Cakes