5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful
Published 17 months ago by GUY JUDGE

3.0 out of 5 stars The Eternal Troubador
good enough but not as some from 1990s to early 2000's, though still immensely creative and enthusiastic in all he does
Published 16 months ago by r g cowley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
I always look forward to new Richard Thompson albums but I was especially eager to get this one as I also love Buddy Miller (who produced and also played on the record). I was not disappointed. From the opening track "Stony Ground", with its great lyrics and superb guitar break (which has a kind of forceful mixed Celtic-North African feel to it) to the final waltz time "Saving the Good Stuff for You" everything here is brilliant. Even though you can see or hear most of these songs at diverse places on the Web you must get your own copy of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
this has got to be one of the very very best of Richard Thompsons work, every track is great and the guitar work fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another really good album from a great singer-songwriter, 14 Aug 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
I think this is a really good Richard Thompson album. As the title suggests, it features Thompson's lead guitar very strongly in yet another group of very fine, melodic and lyrically intelligent songs which are superbly played and sung.

Naturally, the whole album is tinged with Thompson's trademark bleak take on life. Don't look to this for an uplifting, smile-inducing bunch of songs - but then Thompson devotees will already know that. Titles like Stuck On The Treadmill and Where's Home? give an idea of the atmosphere. Breaking relationships, financial hardship and the daily grind of life all feature strongly throughout the album, but there is a great variety of moods in the music including a strong Country tinge in places (as one might expect with Buddy Miller producing). As examples, the album opens with Stony Ground which has echoes of Thompson's Fairport roots with slightly folky-sounding harmonies coupled with Thompson's distinctively brilliant lead guitar. Sally B is much more of a rocker but with a quirky, almost chromatic melody. My Enemy is quieter and darkly atmospheric, and The Snow Goose is backed by just Thompson's acoustic guitar and some delicate harmony vocals from the great Alison Krauss, and is very beautiful and haunting.

I think 2012 saw some truly great albums from vintage singer-songwriters - Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas, Loudon Wainwright's Older Than My Old Man Now, Springsteen's Wrecking Ball, Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill (let's just draw a veil over Americana) and arguably Dylan's Tempest. I put Richard Thompson in the same league as these giants and it's great to see 2013 opening with such promise. I think it will take some time to know for sure whether Electric is truly one of his great albums, but I think it might well be. It is certainly a very good one indeed: it had the same initial impact on me as Mock Tudor which I think is a towering masterpiece, so that's a very good start.

Very, very warmly recommended.

(By the way, I think it is worth getting the Deluxe Version with a Bonus CD. I know that "bonus material" can often be sub-standard filler but most of this is excellent and well worth the extra cost.)

5.0 out of 5 stars RT does it again!, 14 Feb 2013
C. Etherington (Doncaster, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
From first listening, it's obvious that RT hasn't lost the magic. It took several days to get into "Dream Attic", well worth the effort, I assure you, but "Electric" grabbed my attention straight away. From the cheekily funny "Stony Ground", through the ironic "Another Small Thing In Her Favour" to the harsh reality of "The Snow Goose", RT continues to dazzle and amaze. I love this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charged!, 10 Nov 2013
ds "Lagerd" (West Allis, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
Having followed Thompson's career since being a teen in the late '70s, I've always found it difficult to rate his albums. I've generally enjoyed his output thru the years but have rarely been blown away by anything. That said, he does have a discography overflowing with one solid record after another. My favs are still his earliest (Human Fly, Hokey Pokey & Bright Lights). Was pleased to learn of his association with Buddy Miller, another artist of whom I've followed since his earlier years (Mark Heard, The Electrics). It seems as though Miller's production imprint does not possess a specific trademark, rather he evaluates each artist's strengths and weaknesses and steers them towards their strengths. And in Thompson's case that means writing extremely literate, melodic songs while injecting those searing guitar solos that we've come to expext. And ELECTRIC gets off to a strong start; 'Stoney Ground' is an uptempo track employing those tried and true Thompson songwriting ingredients while 'Salford Sunday' does the same from a slower, acoustic perspective. "Sally B' (wow, what a guitar solo!) and my favorite 'Treadmill' (I'm on one of those treadmills) with it's funky beat and off-kilter guitar line accompanied by Thompson's scathing lyric continue this album in fine fashion. Unfortunately nearly every thompson record has a song or two that I find myself skipping over due to tedious and repetitive refrains, melodies, etc: In the case of ELECTRIC two such songs, 'My Enemy' and 'Where's Home' fit that bill. Those are the only two blemishes on this record. 'Another Small Thing' is classic, heart-wrenching Thompson and along with the caustic 'Straight and Narrow' right this ship in a hurry. Appropriately, he closes this fine album on a more reflective and folksy manner 'Saving the Good Stuff' reminding us of his multifaceted songwring acumen. Oh, and for a singer in his mid sixties his voice sounds as good as it did 30 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb again....how does this man keep doing it?!, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
Will not repeat other reviews other than to say BUY THE DELUXE EDITION - bonus tracks are actually a REAL BONUS for a change - some treasures - but then what else would you expect from this long-standing maestro......and it's only a couple of quid more - don't be mean, treat yourself, you know you're worth it! BTW, if you haven't seen RT in concert, you are missing an even bigger treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome performer, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
I saw Richard Thompson play in Boston this year and was knocked out by his tremendous performance, I wanted this CD to remind me of a very memorable night when he shared the bill with the equally wonderful Emmylou Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the packaging, like the product..., 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Electric [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Already own it on MP3 but have a liking of Vinyl (though haven't bought any in years...). Decided to buy this and was 'highly impressed'. Came securely packaged and was 'heavier' than I expected (well it is a 'deluxe pressing'...which I now understand what it means...).

4.0 out of 5 stars Electric!, 31 Mar 2014
Mr. A. Huggan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric (MP3 Download)
Yet again another fine album from Richard Thompson, bringing to life more characters with his songwriting genius. Going by songs and arrangements alone, this would get 5 stars, however I feel that the album has not been mixed/mastered to give the album it's full potential. Some of the tracks are a bit muddy and overcompressed, whereas other tracks sound beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master, 7 Feb 2014
R. D. GARDINER (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
Richard in great form want to see it live. So many great tracks, great lyrics, out of this world guitar.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›