4.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy - just don't expect $300 features (which you're not paying for), 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Misc.)
I've been a runner for a few years but only really bumped up my training last year to complete my first marathon. I generally average about 30 to 40 kms per week year-round, used to own a HRM a few years back but learnt to exercise by feel and dropped it, and I had actually skipped a GPS watch until very recently.
I'd become somewhat tired of checking running distances on unfamiliar terrains via Google Maps so I entered the market for cheap reliable GPS watches.

The Timex Marathon GPS came in at little over 60 Euros. It was cheap, but it is a reliable, no-frills watch.

Reporting on daily use: yes, the watch will take a couple of minutes to pick up a GPS signal (does it really matter whether it's 30 seconds or 2 minutes?) but once it does it sticks to it. It may not track instantaneous pace, and rather lag it a few seconds, but I'd say this is more than enough for the vast majority of runners. I should point out that it's nearly always absolutely reliable in terms of distance and pace, but for some reason it will on occasion churn out sub 2min30 kilometres (!), i.e. overestimate the distance covered, and it's not related to tall building proximity. I wish those were accurate but my surname is not Bekele nor Farah ! This happened once in about 20 workouts.

It is apparently water resistant as well, I recently took it on an Ironman 70.3 event and it handled the open water (river swim) leg with ease even though it may not come at the brand's recommendation (well maybe I was bold or simply foolish!! I don't use a track so I don't miss the track repeat workout features.

In all it does what it says on the tin, battery life is about 8 hours and it recharges fully in less than 1h30m. If you fit the amateur athlete profile I described I'm sure you'll be happy with the buy. You may however be disappointed (I was) at the lack of uploading options - this is the main thing setting it apart from say the Forerunner 10 and the web uploading features can be of interest as the Timex Maraton fails to show you elevation charts etc..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value at 50, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
Other reviews mentioned it was slow to acquire a sat lock or was dodgy under trees. I have used it successfully for 3 months in and around Edinburgh, within mixed deciduous woodland and under overcast skies. It can take up to 5 minutes to get a lock but I am usually stretching so it is not a problem for me. As a comparison, my Samsung phone is a bit quicker to get a lock but still takes a minute or three.

The range of functions are fine for me and the display options good enough and easy to read.

Not put it's waterproofing to the test yet. Would be five stars from me if there was a way of uploading the data.

Mine only came with a quick-start guide and not a full manual. You can download a copy from the Times website so no huge drama.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good VFM & does what it says., 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
Great watch. Does everything it says & much better value if you want a good GPS watch but don't upload data. Sometimes a bit slow to find satellites but overall a great buy.

Timex Marathon GPS Watch