Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 28 January 2014
My first Jenny Colgan book was Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams. Having loved it I went on to read the Cupcake Cafe and others all good until I tried Operation Sunshine, I never read the middle I couldn't believe the change of style then I looked at the dates to find she started like that and thankfully moved on to a very readable style. If you want to read about girls getting drunk night after night going on a business trip to the south of France and getting drunk because it is free then you will enjoy this otherwise don't buy it or any others written before Rosie Hopkins. It takes a lot for me to give up on a book.
on 26 October 2010
I was expecting more from this book but the plot just got even more ridiculous and so unrealistic. I thought it would be a nice girly chick lit but it ended up turning into a Nancy Drew/ Hardy boys. I just felt like abandoning it halfway and even when I was around 12 pages towards the finish. It's a shame because it had looked promising at the start but most of it was cringe worthy. All characters were over exaggerated including the main one Evie, who came across as the biggest loser in the world.
on 25 April 2011
Hmmm well I am a Jenny Colgan fan but this novel wasn't quite as good as Amanda's wedding (Amazing debut novel) but far better than the average Chick Lit writer.

Evie the main character was fun, witty with an awkwardness that is endearing. Evie is in need of a good holiday but short on offers. When her employers her a "business trip" she cant refuse.

Operation Sunshine is a fun lighthearted read. Not quite as sharp a read as Amanda's wedding or as attention grabbing as The Good, The Bad and The Dumped but it is worth a read if you looking to while away a few hours on a sun lounger.
on 1 April 2012
I have recently read Jenny Colgan's 'West End Girls' and i really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, this book was a let down. The beginning was good and i was expecting a good romance/comedy novel, but the book became a bit silly in the middle and quite hard to understand. I was tempted to stop reading at one point but i kept going and the ending, although predictable, was quite good.
Age 14
on 27 August 2010
Jenny Colgan's operation sunshine is a wildely fun novel with a gritty edge centering around main character Evie. Evie is easy to identify with due to her overwhelming desire to go on holiday. Sun sea and sand is what she's after. Evie is soon on her way to the Cote d'azur with her two bosses ( harley street cosmetic surgeons) to a major conference for a new project known only as 'Operation Sunshine'

A fast paced witty novel 'Operation Sunshine' is full of laughs aplenty and shocking discoveries giving Evie the chance to
become a hero in her own right. Every move Evie makes wether it be the right one for her or not is right for the story line. The characters are strong easy to sympathise with, even when considering the greed and lack of ethics involved in a couple of their lives. The plot is extemely plausible, with plenty of twists. There is very little about the novel that doesn't work well, apart from maybe the fact that no one individual can have that much bad luck!

'Operation sunshine' is a novel of discovery particuarly that appearences can be deceptive as Evie finds out even about herself! The supporting characters are well drawn and colourful covering a full range of characteristics. 'Operation Sunshine' is a fun frolic of a novel positive and uplifting with a glamorous extremely fashionable setting. Romance is in the air.
on 27 July 2013
Just wanted to get to the end of the book, I found the story and subject annoying and struggled to finish it.
on 4 August 2009
I have always enjoyed Jenny Colgan's books up until now but this was awful. It was so unrealistic and I was almost embarrassed for her as read it. It was an effort to keep going (for some reason I always find I have to finish a book even if it's dreadful) and, even as it got to the end, I could very easily have put it down and not bothered.

The characters in this were just not believeable. The brothers just too overdone etc etc. The storyline so far fetched it made me want to laugh (I suppose I should be glad at least something made me laugh).

I think it's fair to say I hated this.
on 28 July 2012
I've read three of Jenny Colgan's books (Talking to Addison, Amanda's Wedding and West End Girls) and enjoyed them all. I can't say the same for this one though! For a start it had spelling errors (it is the Cote D'Azur not Azure) and the style of writing and behaviour of the characters made me think I had inadvertently picked up a teen novel. It is extremely immature and juvenile. There are some attempts at serious undertones - unscrupulous plastic surgeons and abuse of animals - but the characters are absolutely unbelievably ridiculously caricatured. I have Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams to read and I hope it is an improvement!
on 10 December 2007
This book could have been great - it had potential. Good plot, nice main character. But it just felt light and flabby really. I like Colgan's books and I think she can be really, really funny. But I'd like to see her stretch herself more. But I will read her next one (if it sounds interesting!). Every author has one or two 'off' books and deserves a good chance. It can't be easy writing a book every year or two.
on 10 May 2015
AN UNUSUAL STORY WITH UNUSUAL CHARACTERS - ALTHOUGH NOT UP THERE WITH THE BEST OF JENNY'S LATER BOOKS, WORTH TAKING ON HOLIDAY ESPECIALLY IF GOING TO CANNES!