5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Read from a Brilliant Writer!
Published on 23 Mar 2009 by Bindi B

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest of Carole's output
Published 2 months ago by Ralph Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Read from a Brilliant Writer!, 23 Mar 2009
I've just finished The Difference a Day Makes and was torn between wanting to know how it ended and NOT wanting the book to come to an end! Yet again, Carole Matthews has written a story filled with characters I really cared about and a plot that I found both believable and fascinating. To see how Amy Ashurst adapts to life in the Yorkshire countryside, especially after such a tragic turn of events in her life, was both realistic and heartrending at the same time. I found myself laughing and crying in the space of two pages - and the scene at the funeral with their troublesome hound Hamish, was pure brilliance! I thought it was going to prove too heartbreaking and tragic to bear, but Carole knows just how to offset one set of emotions against another. I honestly enjoyed this book SO much and it gave me some much-needed escapism at a pretty rotten time in my own life. I've since bought a load more of Carole's books - she's a genius and one of the best writers around today. Keep up the good work Carole - can't wait for your next book to come out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Chocolate Lovers theme but great all the same, 19 Feb 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have been a huge fan of the "chocolate lovers" books and although this wasn't quite as good it was a great read all the same. This is about Amy and Will who are out and out townies. Will has an "incident" and ends up moving him and Amy and their two children out to the sticks to start a better life. When tragedy strikes Amy is thrown in at the deep end on her own with two children, a bunch of farmers that consider her an outsider and trouble filled animals. An amusing and warm story that is easy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, heartwarming read, 8 April 2012
This is the first book I have read by Carole Matthews and I really enjoyed it. It is a lovely, cosy story to make you laugh and cry, sometimes within the same page. The book has an interesting story line - a high flying couple and their two children move from London to a rambling house in Yorkshire in the attempt to have a less stressful lifestyle as the husband has suffered ill health. The story has very likeable characters and lots of cute and crazy animals - the antics of Hamish, the family dog, made me gasp with shock as well as laugh out loud. I recommend this book as a warm, enjoyable and easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The difference a book makes!, 2 Aug 2011
The coverage of grief in this book was fantastic and after going through a similar experience myself recently really showed me how I wasn't alone. The coverage of the animals antics was absolutely hilarious and I literally devoured the whole thing in a day. The cover claims how it makes you laugh and cry and it couldn't be more accurate. I recommend this to anyone and everyone. Funny, emotional, quirky, succinct and genuine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read!, 27 May 2010
I confess I borrowed this book from the library, and haven't bought it from Amazon (!) but I thought it was so good, I read it twice. Amy, her husband Will, Guy the vet and Serena, Amy's sister are all likeable characters, and the animals are given such fantastic personalities. I would say they were given an animorphic quality which we have all seen in our own pets. When Will passes away, Guy, who had fancied Amy when he first met her, becomes her best friend and confidante, and we see Amy struggle with her grief, even neglecting her children, but Guy is always there to help and support her. We all know how it's going to end, but if you are a hapless romantic who wishes for chocolates and roses in their own lives (me!) then it's worth buying. And watch out for Hamish, the Gordon Setter, who is equally daft and clever in equal measures! Nobody's pants are safe with him around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carole at her best, 4 Mar 2009
This is one of the best stories Carole has ever written! You won't be able to put the book down. It's funny and romantic and you will enjoy every minute of it. As many of her novels, it would make a perfect script for a film. Well done again, Carole!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Difference a Day Makes (Kindle Edition)
Great read as always from Carole Matthews.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a day makes, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Difference a Day Makes (Kindle Edition)
Well written book, once you started reading, wanted to keep reading to see what happens to the characters. Really easy read.

2.0 out of 5 stars far fetched, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Difference a Day Makes (Kindle Edition)
some of the dogs antics were quite amusing but overall i felt this story was just a bit too ridiculous and just got bored with it in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest of Carole's output, 19 May 2014
This simple story of love lost and found was sweet, moving but unfortunately so improbable that I found it hard to finish. No one in the business of heading a TV department could be so foolish as the man in this story. Also, he would have got a pension, agreed at reduced rate as would his wife! It was just too unbelievable to really enjoy. (I knew Bill Cotton and no one would call him foolish, or any of his producers.)
The undoubted hero is the indomitable dog: well scored!

The Difference a Day Makes