5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 13 May 2013
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vin Carafe (8.8oz / 250ml) | Vin Decanter, Glass Carafe, Wine Carafe (Kitchen & Home)
I bought three of these carafes so that a 750ml bottle can be divided among three people who ay drink at different speeds. If you fill the carafe to the bottom of of neck at its narrowest point this is 250ml. When I'm on my own and want to spread the bottle over three dinners I can just fill the carafe to that mark and know that I'll have 250ml with each meal. (I keep the remaining wine in prestine condition by squirting in an inert gas (argon) that stops oxidation. I use this gas ASIN:B005NU4B3Y Private Preserve Wine Spray | Wine Preserver Prevents Oxidation of Wine, Inert Gas Aerosol for Wine & Liqueurs]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it pure coincidence that this pichet contains precisely the NHS guideline amount for a man's daily wine consumption?, 5 Sept. 2013
I recently enjoyed a restaurant pre-theatre supper with my own pichet of red wine – pouring when I liked, pacing my consumption, and remaining awake throughout the performance it preceded. (That’s the theatre, not the dessert.) So I thought I might try using one at home, to see if it had a similarly civilising effect upon drinking alone.

For the pichet is a selfish device. It is clearly designed for solo drinking. It contains just 250ml of wine, a third of a bottle, a quantity described by Mrs K as “quite sufficient” and by me as “Thanks, that sample was fine, can I have the rest now, please?”

Whether 250ml is a suitable amount of wine to drink with one’s meal is clearly a matter for debate. Some see food and drink working in a kind of quantitative harmony; others view the food as essentially providing ballast for some serious drinking.

I have always been a great fan myself of the half-bottle (375ml) for a meal. The problem is that half bottles are usually relatively expensive. Take The Wine Society’s claret, for example; £6.25 a bottle, £4.25 a half bottle. Completely understandable, given packaging, transport and all the other factors which remain the same, but you don’t have to be Einstein to work out that you’re better off at home buying a full bottle and drinking it in two halves.

(Which is exactly what I do when Chelsea are on TV – buy a full bottle and drink it in two halves…)

Unfortunately you do have to be Einstein to work out when you’re halfway down a full bottle. Somehow, what you were convinced was half a bottle, that you sadly put aside over the closing credits of the News at Ten, always turns out to be rather less than half a bottle at dinner time the next night. I assume it’s something to do with quantum physics and measurement. The second half of a bottle never quite is.

If it was just a matter of measurement, you could get a stonking great glass, slosh in 375ml of wine, and get stuck in. But not a glass filled to the top; or else what Keats described as “beaded bubbles winking at the brim” will inevitably be winking their way past that brim and down over the tablecloth. There must be a happy relationship between the wine and the air within a glass, which not only allows for swirling and aeration, but also accommodates the clumsy amongst us, and acknowledges that the greater the quantity of wine in one’s stomach, the greater the quantity of ham in one’s fist.

And the best way of maintaining that ideal quantity of wine in a glass is by topping it up, the act of pouring, which punctuates civilised eating and drinking like chapter headings in a novel. I somehow feel that the more often you pour, the more you feel you’ve drunk, as if the experience has been refreshed along with your glass. It’s pouring from my pichet which I really enjoy; assessing, measuring, pacing each pour, the amount remaining clearly visible (unlike a bottle), and its solo character allowing you complete control, without intervention by waiter or wife. Pouring is one of those things which lifts supper alone above a simple act of refuelling. Better by far the glass modestly filled and frequently topped up, than the large one set before you like both a challenge and a constraint.

But while we’re on the matter of constraint… It’s a depressing fact that this pichet’s 250ml of wine, or 3.3 units, is the daily NHS alcohol limit for men Now, I have been deeply suspicious of these alcohol limits, ever since it was revealed that their original calculation, rather like a WMD dossier, was based on “a sort of intelligent guess” However, I put it out there for what it’s worth; if you use this pichet, you can fill it, look at it and think, well, according to the NHS, that’s my lot. Look on, ye mighty, and despair.

You might like to know that the full version of this review, together with other hopefully amusing articles about wine drinking, is on The Sediment Blog. Do check it out, at sedimentblog.com.

Finally, the answers to some key questions:

No; thanks to the shape of this pichet, if you use it for white wine, it does not look too much like a urine sample.

No; even if I may look like one, when I’m sitting here alone, pouring out my own wine in this manner, I do not feel like a tosser.

Yes; it does create more washing-up.

PK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Oct. 2013
Let's you measure an amount and put the bottle away out of temptation! I bought three and they give an equal share of a standard bottle

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Carafes, 10 April 2013
Excellent water containers for bedside table. Cat proof as ours loved to drink from glasses left at bedside. A good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pot for peanuts, 15 April 2014
Wanted something to put peanuts in when we have people over. On a recent cruise they'd used a mini carafe so this item was perfect for what was required. I have 4 now, nice to put around the room for people to help themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Idea, 3 April 2014
I think it would havee been a good idea of the height of the carafe had been in the on line details of the item

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinner, 27 Feb. 2014
Lovely to remind me that I may have something to drink without drinking too much. Very good for red wine

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful carafe, 24 Feb. 2014
Excellent for nuts as well as wine, more hygenic than using a dish, good value for money would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent carafe!, 7 July 2013
You can not beat this for good value! I wanted a 250ml size measure for my evening tipple and this fitted the bill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nibble holder, 25 Sept. 2014
I bought these to use to hold nuts when we have friends round. So much nicer than digging you hands into a bowl.