5.0 out of 5 stars So far a 5 star product
I bought these for the gym, for use with my computer and as a headset for my phone. I was quite sceptical about them as I'd seen some mixed reviews.

Published 5 months ago by Mr M.E.C. Ash

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but don't buy it yet!
Published 21 months ago by Mr. S. Choo

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but don't buy it yet!, 12 Jan 2013
Mr. S. Choo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jaybird Bluebuds X Bluetooth In-Ear Earphones Midnight Black BBX (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought these headphones on the 4th January 2013... used them 3 times in the gym and they were fantastic. By the 11th January they died completely. At my last use in the gym they were doing weird things like re-dialing, skipping tracks, lowering volume, and random powering off. When I got home the pairing indication was flashing but would not pair with my phone. I managed to repair it after telling my iPhone to forget the device, however after that they powered off and just won't come back on again. Basically dead after 7 days of use.

I did some scowering on the internet and found that this has happened to quite a few people, and the main cause appears to be that the little control box on the side doesn't like sweat. Jaybird make a big deal about how all of their stuff is finely engineered and sweat proof and they even go as far as to give a lifetime warranty against sweat. Apparently the newer versions are being treated with some kind of sweat repellent to combat this problem. I have contacted Jaybird about troubleshooting the device and/or maybe getting a replacement with this new repellent. I'll update when I know what's going on!

For now, I would recommend that people refrain from purchasing this product until it has been updated to actually be sweat-proof!!! If it helps, I had a pair of Jaybird Freedoms (1st gen) and they saw me through a whole year of running and various endurance events, they were fantastic.

Update: 14th January 2013
Ok, quick update. I contacted Jaybird yesterday and they knew exactly what the problem was. I spoke to a guy called "Pablo" on their live chat and he instructed me to send him my Amazon receipt, at which point he said "send it to me and I'll handle the rest". I haven't heard anything back yet, but again, I will update when I know more so that people can know what the process of getting a replacement is like and how long it will take.

As a side note, the second revision of the Bluebuds X not only has Liquipel treatment (sweat repellent) on the electronics, but also has a little ridge at the top of each bud to help seat the removable inner-ear supports (the shard type cushions). So if your buds already have this ridge it's a good sign you have the newer updated headset and shouldn't worry about them getting sweat damage. Likewise if you have received your replacement it's best to check you have those ridges too!

Update: 23nd January 2013
Can I just start by saying that the Jaybird support team have been fantastic in helping me and keeping me updated. I was notified on the 21st that they would be shipping me replacement buds, and that because my buds were out of action so soon they would just send them without me having to send mine back! Very happy about this! They sent me tracking information today and it looks like I'll have my replacement set by the end of the week. Hopefully these will last as long as my Jaybird Freedoms. Again, I'll update once I receive them and post some pictures if there are any visible differences between the old set and the "new" version.

Update: 31st January 2013
My apologies for the late update. I received replacement buds from JayBird on the 25th. The first thing I noticed was that there's a ridge for the support cushions to fit in. The previous buds I had were missing this, so I am confident these are indeed the new buds which have been treated with "Liquipel". I have used them in the gym a few times, however on my last session the buds were again sending weird commands to my iPhone and powering off randomly. After I let them sit for a while they powered on and connected as per-normal and currently seem fine... but I am still a bit worried they could die at any moment. It is definitely worth noting that I originally had the earbuds in the "X-fit" configuration which wrap securely around the back of your neck/head. This means the control box is flush with your skin/hair, thus exposing it to a lot more sweat. I have since changed to the original/standard configuration where the control box hands from the ear piece away from my skin to reduce sweat contact. In addition to this configuration keeping the control box a bit dryer, I have also found that the fit is better somehow. I think the control box is a nice touch but ultimately a design flaw since it effectively turns the sturdy cable which connects the two buds into a vulnerable weak point for sweat damage and fraying.

Update: 12th June 2014
They have lasted just under a year and a half now before finally dying on me today. It seems that Jaybird headphones really are amazing but still have a few kinks to work out. All in all, I'd say £120 for a year and a half heavy usage is not too bad at all. That's £12 a month for the pleasure. Unless they die earlier of course, in which case... I'd be pretty disappointed. Back to cheaper, wired, solutions for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far a 5 star product, 15 May 2014

For my purposes they are excellent. Good enough sound quality; at least as good as the Shure wired in ears headphones that these replace. I bought the Comply Tx-500 Isolation tips as I couldn't see myself fiddling around with the system they come with and this combination is excellent. I wear these loose round the back of my neck. No need to go over the ear.

The bluetooth range is very very good and I have had no drop outs so far. (I use it with an HTC one a Dell laptop and an ipod classic with bluetooth adaptor.)

There is not much to complain about. If I had to say anything negative it would be that when turning the volume up or down using the headset there is a brief interruption of play so I tend to use the source controlls instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality sound, 20 Sep 2014
Worth what I paid for.

Great quality sound, for a bluetooth headset, and £110.

The wireless feature is a god send for someone who goes to gym daily, and is often stuck on trains / otherwise boring commutes.

1) They remove the hassle involved of getting a wire tangled up with your satchel, or whatever else gets in the way.
2) They remove the cable noise inherent in all wired in ear headphones. No more bumping around to the beat of your dangling cable.
3) They look pretty cool.
4) They do not tangle up at all while in you're pocket, due to the wider width of the cable and shorter length.
5) Battery life is impressive: advertised is 8 hours, which I'm sure you can achieve. I had them running the other day for only 6 hours, but the volume was elevated.

Disadvantages?

1) The supplied eartips aren't very good, I would highly recommend getting some comply foam tips instead, they are amazing.
2) Battery life. The battery life is very good for a bluetooth headset, but still, there's a battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars bud-u-like, 26 Dec 2013
Having just bought some Sony on ears to replace my lost in ear beats and being very disappointed with them I decided to punt for these bad boys. Was I surprised - Easily surpassing the Beats in terms of sound quality and much lighter. With a huge blue tooth range and the ridiculous ease of moving devices makes for the best headphones I have owned to date. My iPhone even shows the battery life left.

The all plastic lightness may put off some in the heavy is quality camp but I found it refreshing and sensible considering what they are designed for. Do you really want to run with milled aluminum and steel weights in your ear. Fitting is easy and interesting; having tried every combination of the rubber "grips" and buds eventually I opted for the largest bud and the smallest "grip" this gave a nice fit. I have been on several runs with these and they have excelled.

If the thought of a dangling cable puts you off then they can be warn as a head band in a reverse fitting which looks cool too.

Great product would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, great sound, a few problems with fit if you use for sport., 27 July 2014
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Love this Jaybirds. Was so sick and tired of trying to listen to music on my 20min walk home and spending 5mins untangling headphone leads that I invested in these great, in-ear bluetooth speakers. They are simply brilliant. They connect quickly and easily to the phone every time you switch them on and the music quality is great. The only drawbacks for me are that they don't have an auto-off facility to save battery life (so you have to switch them on and off yourself) and the fit isn't perfect. I do a lot of running and it took a lot of experimentation to get the fit good (over the ear configuration with the biggest buds) but even then its not 100% perfect, such a shame they could have supplied shaped ear hooks that would have solved the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good build but not a great fit, 27 Mar 2014
These are extremely over priced piece of bluetooth gear. The quality is good but not worth the price. Also as many other users have reported, the fit of the buds and the over-arching in ear fit do not work. The quality is abysmal and have resulted in me reverting to normal headphones. Many others have had to buy a separate set of buds but really Jaybird should fix this issue.

Others reading this, please be ready that you will have to find an alternative to the buds. I made the same mistake of assuming that it might be an individual thing but clearly not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor service, poor quality., 25 Mar 2014
I brought Jaybird earphones & they arrived broken.
These weren't replaced because they wanted to repair them. They requested I post them back at my expense so I did.
They replaced them luckily but then charged me return delivery. That added 50% to the price overall & I don't think it right.
I won't be buying from these guys again because it was so poorly handled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going wireless for good, 6 Feb 2014
Sandro M. (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
My first bluetooth in-ears was a pair of Sony DR-BT20NX back in 2008.
An amazing product at that time but with some rough edges as maximum
bluetooth range and mic audio quality/range. Still I used them daily for 3 years
until they broke apart from excessive usage.

Finding a replacement wasn't easy but these Jaybird got my attention because
they seem to be much smaller than Plantronics BackBeat GO while having a much
better battery life. Such a win-win situation was a no-brainer for me so I ordered them.

Once I received the Jaybird Bluebuds I was impressed by the packaging and quality of
the product itself. These in-ear look premium, from the quality of the
materials (wires and control) to the clever microUSB charging location.

Pros:
-Battery life
While I was sceptical about the battery life it is really amazing how do they run for so
many hours on a single charge.

-Wireless range
Unlike other bluetooth headsets I tried, the Jaybirds really have an impressive wireless
range giving me whole house wireless coverage. SignalPlus™ as Jaybird describes really
makes a difference here.

-Sound quality (mic also)
Sound quality is good in the range of in-ear sound quality type. The mic is also good but
when I am in central London at rush time the person on the other side of the line suffers
a bit. In very noisy environments the only way is to switch to the phone's built in mic and
clever noise-cancelling systems.

Cons:
-Earbuds
Earbuds tend to pop out, specially is you are running. Since I couldn't get used to the
plastic attachments that come with the in-ears I got a pack of
"Comply Tx-500 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips" as Amazon suggests. These foam tips
expand to fit perfectly to your ears blocking most of the external noise of the street while
fixing the Jaybirds to your ears perfectly. In many situations the noise blocking provided by
the Comply TX-500 works best than my other in-ears (Sony active noise-cancelling
MDR-NC100).

-Wire noise when running
When running the wire hits your neck making a uncomfortable noise in your ears. I haven't
found a solution for this yet but a small clip might solve not only this but the following issue.

-Very easy to lose
The first days were a nightmare. After spending £100+ in a pair of in-ears the last thing you
want is to lose them. Since they are so small they are very easy to lose when you take your
jacket as you do not even feel them. The only solution I found is to put them under the jumper
when not in use. A clip, as someone also suggests in one of these Amazon reviews, might be
the solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional partner in almost any situation, 9 Oct 2014
I have these earphones just over 9 months now and I feel to put a genuine recommendation about it. I have owned a Jaybird freedom before for 1.5 year when the left ear suddenly died. Support from Jaybird is exceptional, they offered me some money back to spend on one of their latest model even after warranty expired.

Pros:
- works with my note3 as well as with my dell venue 8 pro tablet and toshiba work laptop
- exercising is better with it then ever before, just put down my phone somewhere safe and forget about it, easily can have 20-30 feet distance away from it and not dropping the connection.
- battery life exceptionally good, however I wouldn't mind have just over 8 hours ( around 10-12 ) to have 1-2 hour gym+commute and 8 hour work to be covered in a single charge
- Music quality is the best I have ever heard from a Bluetooth headset, even comparing with some wired ones outstanding quality.
- you could barely feel you have this device on you, I'm only scared using it while doing some squats. Just need to drop the wire front of you instead of behind your neck.

Cons:
- tips coming with it are rubbish,feels cheap and they aren't noise cancelling in any way: this can be resolved spending £20 on aftermarket tips and they are really good feel and doing a great job ( not to mention variety of size and shape you prefer )
- Microphone is better than jaybird freedom, however there are still some work can be done. Remote party can hear sometimes people around you better than your voice.
- Stereo ( high quality ) headset mode is not working with MS Lync, this should be fixed.

Overall: very impressed with quality in general and has successfully recommended to 2 of my friends already.

Something to keep in mind, I have had nexus5 for about a week however having that in my pocket dropped connections every now and then, distance cannot be more than 5feet from it. As I have had a note1 during that time and that didn't any similar issues, I have returned the nexus5 and bought a note3 instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only if you REALLY want Bluetooth, 29 Jun 2014
These are okay headphones. They're roughly on a par with a £30 wired set for sound quality. My Zagg Smartbuds (about £40, IIRC) sound better and feel better. The Bluebuds aren't in the same league as Bose or Skullcandy. They are, however, quite a bit better than the £12 Sony set that I previously used for the gym, so at least that's something.

What these do really well is stay put during exercise (MUCH better than Yurbuds), and do away with the irritating cable and associated cable thump when running. They even stay in place when you sweat, as long as you replace the supplied rubber buds with some Comply foam tips.

Even then, they aren't perfect. You need to use the over-ear fit to completely eliminate cable thump, which is a bit less comfortable and puts the mic a long way from your mouth if you're using them as a phone headset. The Bluetooth signal is a bit variable, especially outside - some days it's pretty solid, other days it cuts out every few minutes. My iPhone sometimes forgets that it is paired with the Bluebuds, although I suspect that's the iPhone's fault. Battery life is a day or two at most, and it's a difficult habit to remember to charge your headphones when you're used to wired. All of this makes the luxury packaging feel like a cynical attempt to justify the price, rather than signifying a genuinely premium product.

But they do stay in my ears while exercising, and nothing else from Bose, Shure, Sennheiser, Zagg, Skullcandy or Sony can match that.

So, if you want some headphones for exercise, and they have to be wireless, for me these are the only ones that do the job. Just be aware that you're paying an extra £100 over equivalent-sounding headphones for that.