4.0 out of 5 stars Great In-Ear 'Phones for Sporty Types
Published 4 months ago by Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but don't buy it yet!
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by Mr. S. Choo

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but don't buy it yet!, 12 Jan. 2013
Mr. S. Choo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jaybird Bluebuds X Bluetooth In-Ear Earphones Midnight Black BBX (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought these headphones on the 4th January 2013... used them 3 times in the gym and they were fantastic. By the 11th January they died completely. At my last use in the gym they were doing weird things like re-dialing, skipping tracks, lowering volume, and random powering off. When I got home the pairing indication was flashing but would not pair with my phone. I managed to repair it after telling my iPhone to forget the device, however after that they powered off and just won't come back on again. Basically dead after 7 days of use.

I did some scowering on the internet and found that this has happened to quite a few people, and the main cause appears to be that the little control box on the side doesn't like sweat. Jaybird make a big deal about how all of their stuff is finely engineered and sweat proof and they even go as far as to give a lifetime warranty against sweat. Apparently the newer versions are being treated with some kind of sweat repellent to combat this problem. I have contacted Jaybird about troubleshooting the device and/or maybe getting a replacement with this new repellent. I'll update when I know what's going on!

For now, I would recommend that people refrain from purchasing this product until it has been updated to actually be sweat-proof!!! If it helps, I had a pair of Jaybird Freedoms (1st gen) and they saw me through a whole year of running and various endurance events, they were fantastic.

Update: 14th January 2013
Ok, quick update. I contacted Jaybird yesterday and they knew exactly what the problem was. I spoke to a guy called "Pablo" on their live chat and he instructed me to send him my Amazon receipt, at which point he said "send it to me and I'll handle the rest". I haven't heard anything back yet, but again, I will update when I know more so that people can know what the process of getting a replacement is like and how long it will take.

As a side note, the second revision of the Bluebuds X not only has Liquipel treatment (sweat repellent) on the electronics, but also has a little ridge at the top of each bud to help seat the removable inner-ear supports (the shard type cushions). So if your buds already have this ridge it's a good sign you have the newer updated headset and shouldn't worry about them getting sweat damage. Likewise if you have received your replacement it's best to check you have those ridges too!

Update: 23nd January 2013
Can I just start by saying that the Jaybird support team have been fantastic in helping me and keeping me updated. I was notified on the 21st that they would be shipping me replacement buds, and that because my buds were out of action so soon they would just send them without me having to send mine back! Very happy about this! They sent me tracking information today and it looks like I'll have my replacement set by the end of the week. Hopefully these will last as long as my Jaybird Freedoms. Again, I'll update once I receive them and post some pictures if there are any visible differences between the old set and the "new" version.

Update: 31st January 2013
My apologies for the late update. I received replacement buds from JayBird on the 25th. The first thing I noticed was that there's a ridge for the support cushions to fit in. The previous buds I had were missing this, so I am confident these are indeed the new buds which have been treated with "Liquipel". I have used them in the gym a few times, however on my last session the buds were again sending weird commands to my iPhone and powering off randomly. After I let them sit for a while they powered on and connected as per-normal and currently seem fine... but I am still a bit worried they could die at any moment. It is definitely worth noting that I originally had the earbuds in the "X-fit" configuration which wrap securely around the back of your neck/head. This means the control box is flush with your skin/hair, thus exposing it to a lot more sweat. I have since changed to the original/standard configuration where the control box hands from the ear piece away from my skin to reduce sweat contact. In addition to this configuration keeping the control box a bit dryer, I have also found that the fit is better somehow. I think the control box is a nice touch but ultimately a design flaw since it effectively turns the sturdy cable which connects the two buds into a vulnerable weak point for sweat damage and fraying.

Update: 12th June 2014
They have lasted just under a year and a half now before finally dying on me today. It seems that Jaybird headphones really are amazing but still have a few kinks to work out. All in all, I'd say £120 for a year and a half heavy usage is not too bad at all. That's £12 a month for the pleasure. Unless they die earlier of course, in which case... I'd be pretty disappointed. Back to cheaper, wired, solutions for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great In-Ear 'Phones for Sporty Types, 3 Mar. 2015
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
These are a very good pair of wireless Bluetooth in-ear 'phones. You can wear them either using the behind-the-ear clips, or Jaybird's own 'wing' system, which wedges the buds into your ear canal. The consequence of this is a comfortable, firm and secure fit, which suits the audio response and output - full, thick bass, pleasant and warm mid-range, and a nicely crisp and clear treble. The sound quality is atypical for earphones made for sporting use, whether that be tennis, power walking, rowing or whatever, i.e. the audio response is of a superior quality than one might anticipate. Stonking, sweat-proof sounds, pure and simple.
If you don't need wireless, I can strongly recommend Vibe Brass Balls in-ear 'phones, which were awarded the very rare accolade of a 5 star rating by The Gadget Show. Stylish, comfortable, reliable, with a banging bass response and crystal clear treble. You need to go to the Vibe Audio website to view this product.
If you're thinking about buying a pair of headphones, I can warmly recommend Sennheiser Momentum, which have a superlative quality that belies their modest pricing - Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones - Ivory.
Thank you for taking the time to read this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound (once you get the fit right) but not as sweat resistant as they'd like you to believe., 5 Mar. 2015
Great looking, and once I'd fitted them with the Comply tips they were more comfortable and the improved isolation meant the sound quality was better than with the supplied silicone earbuds. They also stayed in the ear better (although the Comply tips don't last too many serious gym sessions - they seem to soak up sweat after a while and go all horribly spongy...).

Unfortunately, I have had to return two pairs in six months, so as with other reviewers I have my doubts about the build quality and sweat resistance. The first pair lasted two months after which I noticed that water (sweat) was leaking out of one of the earbuds whilst it was stored after a workout. I guess the plastic moulding wasn't sealed correctly and there was a hairline gap sufficient to let sweat into whilst I was training. This meant unpleasantly brown water escaping at some point later, potentially going into my ear canal - not what I was looking for so they were sent back to Amazon for a refund. Whilst they were still functioning when I sent them back, I don't imagine they would have lasted too long as water and electronics don't generally mix well.

I used the refund to buy another pair from Amazon and they lasted for around four months until in the gym yesterday they suddenly turned themselves off without any warning. I charged them up overnight, despite being sure they were fairly well charged already, but this morning they will not switch on and are effectively dead. Have arranged to return these to Amazon again for (another) refund.

I'm debating whether to try one last time and buy a third pair of these (at least Amazon have been great with their refund service) as the product itself compares well to other wireless gym-friendly earphones on the market.

Having said that, at this price these things need to work for years, not months, and all the hype about liquipel coatings and sweat-resistant technologies needs to deliver. The fact that these are (according to the website) used by the US Triathlon team makes me wonder if this is a canny marketing ploy and the triathletes just get a ready supply of new earphones every time they need them. Or perhaps they've also become very familiar with Amazon's refund policy.....who knows...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, my favourite gym accessory!!, 6 Mar. 2015
Love it, use it 4-5 times a week at the gym and to make and receive calls occasionally - been using it for over 5 months now. I would say very good but not great battery life (lasts something like 5 hours in total of use from full), very good clarity (both music and talk), good bass (to me) and it lets me go HAM at the gym without the need for cables and also tells me when the battery is low. Don't like the beep when I increase the volume but never really change it so really doesn't bother me.

I tried wearing the beats overhead and see a lot of people using that in my gym but I don't like the size or having a band at the top of my head when working out. I think they have an in-ear one now but for the 40£ or so different in price I would still take these ones for one reason - Beats is all about style over substance. I have an audio technica ath-m50x but I really wanted the beats and so I went to store to try them but couldn't find any beats that matched its sound quality and price difference is ridiculous. Anyways haven't tried the beats in-ear but couldn't be bothered to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good and function Bluetooth earphones, 17 May 2015
Very good and function Bluetooth earphones. Pairs and works well with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7.

I use it over the ear and it's comfortable and I have used it for over 4 hours without any problems. It's a bit more cumbersome if you wear glasses like I do but it still works if you put it above the arms of the glasses.

I have rated this down because in the over ear position the microphone is actually behind the ear so you cannot use the microphone at all. For the price and this flaw I would look at possibly cheaper alternative.

I did loose an ear piece and it seems Jaybird does not sell replacement parts in the UK so it required an order to be placed in the US and shipping to the UK which came to about 1/4 of the price of these earphones at retail! Be warned and that goes for the "wings" as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my purchase!, 26 Mar. 2015
I was a bit concerned when I read the reviews as a lot of people said they didn't stay in place and that Comply tips had to be purchased. Especially since earphones never ever stay in my ears...
I went for a run with the jaybirds as soon as I received them to give them a try, and I was pleasantly surprised as they stayed in just fine! The sound was quite good too, though the bass could have been better. But overall I was very pleased. It did take a little while to try all the ear tips / ear cushions combinations and find the best one, but it was done, it was fine.

I have now purchased Comply tips (the isolation ones), and it is now even better! Sound is amazing, bass greatly improved, and perfect fit when doing sport.
Definitely a great purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome when used with Comply T500 buds, 3 May 2015
Got these for running. Sound quality is the most important aspect of any earphones for me and the reviews seemed to point to these being the best in earphones available. Well I went for a short run, 5 miles and what did I think....not good! The sound was very tinny, no bass. Now I am used to good headphones. My home headphones at V-Moda M100s, so maybe I'm being too harsh about the Jaybirds. Anyway, I was seriously thinking about returning them, but had read some reviews saying they were better with the Comply T500 memory foam inserts, so I ordered a set - £20 from Amazon. WOW, what a difference. These earphones now sound awesome. Lots of bass and sound so good. I have scored them 4/5 only because I had to purchase the extra foam buds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, worth even more if they were a little smaller, 10 May 2015
I've been using for about 2 months now. They are great. I used to use sennheiser cx 300 ii and I have to say I am not disappointed with the sound quality. The noise cancellation is really good (sometimes too good - you may end up not noticing somebody is taking to you!). I use them every day to make calls, used them in the gym and going for a run, they don't even come close to falling out - very stable. They are a bit fiddly to get right with the buds and fins especially switching between under ear and over ear, it does take some practice. Probably getting 8hours battery life. If you haven't already, going wireless is amazing - worth every penny, the range is pretty good, I've tested to a good 10m - 15m. Great for the gym, running, commuting and the office. Works with and transitions smoothly between my iPhone, Samsung and PC. The bonus on iPhone that you get a battery level meter, however the headphones have an indicator light which will be either green or red if the battery is low or not. My only wish is that they were a little smaller, they stick out a little from the side of my head so there is no resting on them, its quite uncomfortable. Very small sacrifice for great headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for running and gym - If you use the right configuration, 15 Jun. 2014
S. Donkin (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to admit to buying the Jaybird Bluebuds X with some trepidation. They aren’t cheap and they seem to have had such mixed reviews; some people saying they love them and others that they aren’t fit for purpose. I was buying them to use while running and in the gym, so I was particularly concerned to read the reviews about them falling out of your ears! However, having done lots of research, there didn’t seem to be anything better on the market, so I thought I’d take the plunge anyway.

I’m glad I took the risk. After lots of experimentation with the various eartips and “secure fit ear cushions” that are supplied with the Jaybirds, I’ve concluded that the best set up for running and gym use is the following:

- Go for the “over the ear” method of wearing them, where the cord goes around the top of your ears. Any other way of wearing them just isn’t secure enough for doing exercise.

- Use the supplied cord management clips to shorten the length of the cord, so that the cord fits fairly tightly around the back of your head. This makes the Jaybirds fit even more securely and also stops the cord from rubbing annoyingly on your neck while you run.

- Ditch the supplied silicone eartips and instead buy some Comply TX-500 eartips made from memory foam. The supplied silicone eartips are fine if you don’t intend to do any exercise, but if you’re wearing them while running, the moment you start to sweat they just slide right out of your ears. I suspect the people who reviewed the Jaybirds and said they fell out of your ears when running, were probably just using the supplied silicone eartips and I can understand their frustration. Whilst the Comply TX-500 eartips are ridiculously expensive for what they are, they totally transform the Jaybirds such that they stay solidly stuck in your ears, with no need at to keep pushing them back in again while you’re running. I’d go so far as to say that without the Complys the Jaybirds are useless for doing vigorous exercise, so make sure you factor the extra £20 into your budget that you’ll need to buy some.

- Don’t bother using the “secure fit ear cushions”. Jaybird make a big fuss about these and how revolutionary they are, but they are just too fiddly to use and drove me crazy trying to get them fitted just right. More importantly, with the Comply eartips fitted, you just don’t need them; the earbuds stay lodged in your ears so solidly, there’s no need for the extra security the ear cushions are supposed to give you.

With the above configuration the Jaybirds are absolutely fantastic for what I what I wanted them for, which is to listen to music and podcasts while running. They stay firmly in my ears and the Bluetooth signal is rock solid, so I’ve never had a problem with the sound cutting out. Battery life is also as advertised – about 8 hours between charges. Sound quality isn’t fantastic (anyone who says it is, needs to listed to something like some Shure SE425’s to hear just how good earphones can really sound), but it’s perfectly acceptable for running and gym use. It’s also worth mentioning that I think the sound has improved slightly with use, so they might benefit from a degree of “running in”.

So if you’re looking to buy the closest thing there currently is to the perfect earphones for running and gym use, and you’re happy to spend an extra £20 on Comply eartips, I’d thoroughly recommend the Jaybirds. Of course I haven’t had the Jaybirds for long enough to comment on their reliability, so I’ll update this review if anything goes wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 July 2014
Simply brilliant. Excellent sound quality in a very tidy cordless package. A bit fiddly to start with when deciding what buds and fins to attach to acheive the optimum fitting in your ear but, well worth the inital faff. Turn them on, put them on and go. If you do HIT core workouts & free weights where avoiding the inconvenience of the cord getting in the way matters, these cordless headphones are for you. Oh, they also sound fantastic too. I would recommend this product.