5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!
Published on 16 Oct. 2012 by Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses
This is my 3rd TomTom and I've beeen very happy with the previous models. I mainly bought it for the free European map updates as they are very expensive to buy. Apart from the free map updates its good points are the large clear screen and clear spoken directions including street names. The bad poins are:
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously...
Published 17 months ago by PeterRH

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
This is my second TomTom, my first was a GO700 which is still going well after 8 years. I changed because I fancied a large screen and the new features. I deleted my old TomTom Home2 site on my computer completely and installed the new one for the Start called 'MyTomTom' which is a free download on the TomTom main site page 'Getting Started'. I would advise you to do the same to avoid any problems if you have a previous TomTom.

My Sat Nav was up to date straight out of the box but I connected it up and it updated the traffic cameras and some shared map info with no problems. You can check if yours is up to date by going to 'settings',then 'me and my device', then 'about my device'. At the time of writing an up Sat Nav will read on the second line (App 12.045.1067676.84 (0) 2041, 19/9/2012 [the date I did it, yours will have a different date of course] OS 1017068. Be warned this is not a fast process even with a Broadband connection!

I really like the 5" screen it's bright and clear and the voice is clear and very loud. The new holder remains with the Sat Nav when you remove it from the windscreen and folds flat - which is a very good idea. If you did have any problems with it, it can be easily removed and cheaply replaced. Putting it on a windscreen and removing it is simplicity itself. Having spoken road names is great and you are sometimes surprised by the fact that you never really knew the name of a road you travelled on for years! Not all the voices work with spoken road names you must choose one that says it speaks street names of which there is only one English one on my Sat Nav (Serena). I found it picks up the satellites very quickly and the speed at which it processes routes is very very good. All the new features are really good and worth having and the Points of Interest are amazing - they even give you the telephone numbers so that you can call to book a table or to check if an item is in stock etc. I was originally frustrated by the fact that it didn't have a battery indicator, so I couldn't tell if it needed to be charged or if it was fully charged, but one suddenly appeared! I don't know whether it came with a download/update or whether it needed a good charge first before it appeared but it's there now - hoorah! I found that the home charger for my Blackberry phone which has a micro connection charges it up perfectly or it can be charged by your computer with the lead supplied in the box.

All in all this is a really excellent Sat Nav and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have no hesitation in recommending it to all those who don't need to use it as a phone; don't want the Live Link traffic updates and get frustrated by voice recognition systems that don't recognise what you say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great software let down by some poor hardware design features, 29 Jan. 2015
Generally a pretty decent bit of kit, but with some irritating features. The good points first: boots up quickly, very clear and functional screen, plenty of volume and a clear voice that tells you the name of the street/road for the next turning and where you are heading for. Sufficient personalisation features for a Sat Nav of this price (I paid £79 for my unit), the speed camera warnings are a useful addition too. The irritation points are: When keying in a destination or post code you have to toggle between two screen as letters and numbers aren't viewed on the same screen. The Sat Nav and sucker mount are all in one piece, so when you park you car you have to take everything off the windscreen rather than just unclip it from a permanent windscreen mount (like my old Tom Tom), this is a fiddly job when re-mounting the unit as the rotating ring that pulls the sucker-mount to the windscreen rarely locks at the first attempt, and just springs back resulting in the unit falling onto the dashboard, the operation has to be repeated several times before it sticks. The on/off button is located at the back of the unit, top right hand corner. Having stuck the unit on up against the windscreen it's almost impossible to get your fingers behind to turn the darned thing on! I've had this unit for a month now and have been misdirected a couple of times. My old "Tom Tom One" of 8 yrs never put a foot wrong! I haven't been able to update the maps yet as I have an Apple computer that is not compatible with Tom Tom software, again, disappointing. Upgrading the maps may well sort out the couple of misdirections I have had.

I am perhaps being a little picky about the hardware, but the software is great. Hardware gets 3 stars and software gets 5 stars, result, a 4 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little SatNav, 14 Oct. 2014
I read all sorts of woes about this model but its great:

* Very quick to start up
* Quick to find satellites
* I like the new Motorway lane guidance
* The mounting is superb
* It is thin and light enough to go into my pocket
* Updating the maps is easy although, inevitably, a 3GB download takes a while: 2 1/2 hours in my case

The only issue I had was that it wouldn't connect via MyDrive. I phoned TomTom and they could not have been more helpful - apparently I had to de-register my old TomTom Go 700 before the new one would connect.
As many others have noted, phoning is much better than the website support which I found largely incomprehensible !

5.0 out of 5 stars Start well with Tom Tom, 9 Sept. 2011
Bought for my wife who is technophobic! This Tom Tom is intuitive and very easy to use and my wife has operated it without difficulty over 1500 miles in France this summer without having to look at an instruction manual. She does not use motorways or the major national routes and the Tom Tom has navigated her perfectly through the minor scenic routes that she prefers. It has several features that are excellent, the screen rotates so that the image and instructions are always the right way up, voice prompts are unambiguaous and detailed and the screem itself is very clear. The power cable is good with a usb charger built in and the same cable can be used to connect to your PC for updating maps and speed camera locations. A good product that works well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses, 9 Jan. 2014
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously long time to find satelites after boot-up. In the half dozen times I've used it the time to find a salellite has typically been 10 minutes and on one occasion it was closer to 20 minutes. I do have a heated front windscreen which could potentially interfere with the signal but my previous two TomToms have had no problem whatever finding a satellite in 20 seconds or so with the same windscreen and the units positioned in the same place. Also once it has foumd a satellite it works fine and doesn't lose satellite contact.
- The mount is very inferiour to my last TomTom. It doesn't detach from the main unit so the suction cup can't be left in place when the unit is detached. This for me is a major deficiency as I like to remove it from sight when I park in a public place and its a lot of fiddling to remove the suction cup and then reattach it. I suggest you only buy this model if you're happy to leave it in place all the time.
- The screen sensitivity isn't quite as good as previous units using a finger though its fine with a stylus.
- People have mentioned the long time to update maps. Whilst it took about 90 minutes it was fairly straighforward. However, the one-time free update to the speed cameras doesn't seem to have been offered as it said 'camera updates expired' and at the end of the map updates the speed camera database was still about 6 months old. It was bought new from a major supplier and in a sealed box so I think the camera update should have been available.

I've had it about 2 weeks and am undecided whether I should return it for a different make or model or just try a replacement initially to see if the time to find a salellite is better though the poor mount would still be an issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars clear guidance, but has glitches and bugs., 8 Jun. 2012
Owned this sat nav for nearly a year now - was thinking about getting a garmin instead and now wish I had! This sat nav has all sorts of issues - look at TomTom's forum if you don't believe me. The Start 25 I have doesn't pick up a satellite signal for ages (if at all) repeatedly have to update the application software in a vain attempt to resolve problems - and finally, the battery has a very short life before it needs recharging - inevitable with such a large colour screen I suppose. I do like the clarity of the image (when it does work) and the guidance is clear.
Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars i bought it in Sept let me down so manytimes I'm using my old model, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 M Satellite Navigation System with UK Maps and Lifetime Map Updates (Electronics)
i have sent it back twice to Tomtom has the Amazon supplier did not want to know, first time it was sent back in the same condition I returned it and they gave me a replacement, still not charging. seems to be a design fault with this model regards connecting the gable .

BETTER TO BUY IT FROM A HIGH STREET SHOP

I have had a Tomtom for 6 yrs no problems, decided to upgrade

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to behold (or rather be led), 17 April 2012
I was travelling in from abroad to take my family out from Bucks to a week's vacation at Cornwall in the half-term break - it being our first visit to the area, south west of England. I had read about the exciting getaway and its several theme parks for the kids. And when I looked at the maps and transport options in the area while planning, the option to use public transport to reach/travel about got easily eliminated - either because of infrequency or inordinate amount of travel time stretching from 6 to 10 hrs, by National Rail/Coach, with multiple change-overs - highly unsuitable with small kids. Last mile/local taxi services were simply not available / exorbitant. We had traveled with map books earlier to other places in Scotland, but Cornwall was different. I had not been able to clearly make out the country roads and POIs in the area, using maps. I landed home, hired a car from Budget, fitted the brand new TomTom from the package, right into the car, punched in the dest. postcode, and off we started our journey at 3.45pm from Bucks. In about 4hrs, before the sun set on the horizon, we reached our cottage in a remote countryside village adjoining Port Issac, purely guided by TomTom, right up to the door, covering over 250 miles along the way. It was simply a godsend for us. Clear, accurate guidance in good time, day and night screens, lane guidance, good no. of POIs, alerts to fixed and mobile speed cams, automatic re-routing when we encountered diversions due to road works etc. - in short, felt quite pampered to drive. Once we got off A30/39, most of the country roads ran through large farms. The roads were generally narrow, gravel and muddy, locked in by the dense agriculture rising to a height of about 12-15ft on either side for several miles. At best, a single tractor, or a car and a bike could pass each other using passing places. Sign-boards were few and far-between with little or no public lighting, and not a soul or shop in sight to ask around if you lost your way. And here I was, driving like a veteran who had grown up in the the area, with the kids, jumping for more :-), thanks to TomTom. We never missed a lane and the signal remained good enough to guide us well everywhere. In fact, my laptop's 3G-dongle struggled to help me check E-Mail on reaching the cottage, but never was there an issue driving with TomTom. For the next one week, we toured across the countryside, covering Newquay, Lands End, the Eden project, the beach at St Michaels mount, Pendennis castle, Trebah gardens etc. among the dozen odd places that we visited from North to West to South Cornwall.
The only shortcoming - if you could call that - was, Jane's voice on the TomTOM seemed to have caught a mild cold / sore throat, as we headed back home, after the vacation. I got the time to register and update the TomTom only after I got back home following our vacation. And absentmindedly had forgotten to take a backup of the Favourites that we had saved up during our trip. But MyTomTom surprised us there as well ensuring that all our Favourites were safely retained back and available after the 3.6GB update, that took a full, uninterrupted 14 hrs on a 512kb Broadband line. Happy motoring with TomTom!

2.0 out of 5 stars buy with care, 18 Aug. 2013
If you can keep it working then it works fine as a sat nav and is as accurate as any I have used. The plus points would be the lane tips and the graphics.

however Tom Tom has a few problems. firstly mine stopped being able to find GPS satellites. The update for that seemed to work ok. However the latest updates were a nightmare. Finally managed to get the updates installed but in doing so the application wiped the maps so now I am left with an updated sat nav that does not contain any maps. The support and software updates make this not worth the money in my opinion. Works fine until you need to update the device software and GPS fix software. Then it starts to go horribly wrong.

buy one with knowledge that after a period of time it will be easier to buy another one rather than update it. Lifetime map updates guarantee is something that sounds great but you will spend many hours cursing your PC to get it working

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly worried, 21 Jun. 2012
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
I needed a new Satnav as my old one was very ancient, a bit battered and I hadn't updated the maps for seven years! It was a basic Tom Tom One but I liked it very much, especially the ability to re-route if you encounter a hold up. I asked for a new one for my birthday and got this, and was somewhat worried about it on reading the Amazon reviews - would it get a GPS signal, would it charge, would it still have the software that allowed re-routing? Well, so far I'm very satisfied as it does all of those things, plus I now have up-to-date maps and a nice non-chunky wide-screen satnav.

Other positives after a two-week trial: the lane advice is nice; I like the spoken directions telling you the name/no of the road you are joining and the direction of travel; it fits nicely onto the windscreen without leaving much of a mark, and it beeps at you when a "safety" camera is near. Not 5 stars because there is a bit of meanness evident by Tom Tom not including a case, but I bought a nice pencil-case from W H Smith that fits it for about three quid!

Slight confusion around Tom Tom Home v My Tom Tom (its the latter you have to use). Make sure you do the mandatory software update before you use it. My car is a Seat Leon - don't know if that's important.

So far, so pleased. Will update if things change...