5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Sat Nav
Published on 6 Jun 2012 by Trevor Jolley

2.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Start 60 does not support favourites properly
This is a great looking device - Love it! And except for a few things it works well too. But the "few things" are a killer.
Published 22 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Sat Nav, 6 Jun 2012
Trevor Jolley (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
I purchased the TT Start 60 from Halfords a few days ago and am mightily impressed by it. The 6 inch screen display is stunning and displays all the information you could wish for, while driving, very clearly. Speed camera information even includes those sites that are often used by mobile camera units. A fixed speed camera position that was shut down a few weeks ago is not registered on the sat nav so it suggests the information is pretty well up to date. Perhaps this reflects the value of the TomTom community that supplies update info to TT, which is verified and then made freely available via downloads to owners. Rather than extoll all the virtues of this remarkable sat nav I suggest a read of the cnet review could settle any questions you may have regarding which sat nav you should buy. Having registerd the Start 60 with TomTom I am well on the way to getting a promotional offer of £20 cash back thus making this an even better value for money purchase. Why did I buy from Halfords? Only because at the time there were no reviews on Amazon and some reviews elsewhere for other sat navs suggested there could be all sorts of problems with downloads and updates so in anticipation of potential problems a purchase from a store that I pass most days would enable me to easily return the product should the need arise. I am very pleased to report that this need has not arisen and my faith in this excellent sat nav has been re-inforced by use over the last few days and by the recent cnet review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device with minor issues, 5 July 2012
The TomTom Start 60 is a great Satnav. The build quality is strong and the operation of the device is simple and straight forward, no buttons or menus where there need not be one. So far so good! The device it self is bigger than I expected, at first It was almost laughable. My girlfriends sat nav fits within the viewable area of this, with room to spare! However once I started to use it, I soon realised the benefits of having such a large screen, firstly you dont have to attach a magnify glass to your face just to see the instructions and secondly the buttons are large and the screen is so responsive that the two combined make for a great user experience. When acquiring a signal its extremely fast, were talking a few seconds. However this is likely due to my location and could be different for you. However its ability to reroute should I ignore its directions or take a wrong turn are equally as quick. The voice instructions are clear and if set to the Serena voice, it will even read out road names which is a huge benefit. Its a real joy to use and this is why its earnt 4 stars from me.

However I am left feeling that they could have done more, theres a general feeling with the software that the bare minimum was done and for such a premium brand in the sat nav world, that just isn't acceptable. Therefor it lost its 5th star.

My gripes, if you could call them that; with the TomTom is that there are certain features and functions that arent really to the high standard you would expect from such a brand/device. For example the address database is not only out of date, but also patchy. For example there are some small culdesacs around where I live that have been here for around 10 years, yet arent present on the map. Yet some that are around 5 years old, are present. Secondly streets that have had the same number of houses on, with the same numbering structure for well over 60 years, all of sudden are missing numbers. A good example of this is the street where my Gran has lived for 30+ years, her house number isn't recognised, yet her neighbours are. Maybe Tomtom just doesn't want me visiting my Gran, either way this over sight / poor quality control of their maps really shouldnt be this way, as some of their higher range devices (that use the same maps) can cost around £300. Im often having to enter addresses that are near to the one I want, rather than to the door step of the address I do want. Secondly when entering an address as a favorite, your forced to add a house number and there is no option to add a business address instead. You can of course not add anything, but again this goes back to my original point, that it will take you close to the location you want and not straight to the door step. (rather annoying) you can of course alter/ amend your maps, or pick a location from the map it self. However my girlfriends sat nav which is using a map thats 4 years old, has the full addresses available and all the house numbers (apart from the new builds).

A second annoyance is the highly aclaimed and advertised advanced lane guidance. This is an awesome feature to have and works wonders. However you need to bare in mind that it will 'only' work for major motorways. This is annoying because they could have so easily extended this to include large roundabouts/junctions etc, which is a common point of stress for most drivers. Its also worth pointing out that it doesnt have all of the junctions on major motorways set for this and again really highlights my point about the bare minimum standard of their software.

Another minor annoyance for the Tomtom start 60, is the maximum volume, it's just not that loud. Its hearable, but im left feeling that they could have increased it more. This is the general feeling with the entire Tomtom experience for me. Im constantly left feeling that they've done the bare minimum with their service and device and that if they had just gone that extra mile this would be a full 5 start device.

The biggest annoyance for me with my TomTom Start 60, is rather oddly, not the device it self but with their computer software. They have three versions, TomTom Home, TomTom Home v2 and My Tomtom. TomTom Home is the one they advertise you to download and it has some cool features like route planner etc. However you actually need to download the MyTomTom application to use things like the map updates and other services. I spent many hours trying to get the TomTom Home software to recognise my connected device but it refused, I went on to their support forums and found that you actually need the TomTom Home v2 software for a Start 60.. So in Total their are 3 software options and only the MyTomTom application is the one you actually need. Needlessly making you jump through multiple hoops.

A feature that is lacking from the device is the ability to add a pin code to it. My girlfriends satnav which is nearing 4 years old has this feature and is from a lesser brand. Yet its excluded from my TomTom. If your Satnav were stolen, they'd have your house address, family member addresses, work address etc... A simple pin code would help secure this information. Such a simple feature yet such a massive over sight.

Overall as i've stated these are minor annoyances, had I paid more for the device id probably be a bit more disapointed with it. But like I said, hardware wise the device is faultless and the screen and interface design is beautiful. Its just the software element that seems to be dragging its feet. Its also worth mentioning that the start 60 does NOT come with live services, nor is it able to recieve them should you purchase them, which was another reason I chose the start 60. The live services are £50 a year, which to me was extremely off putting! When a TMC traffic reciever cable that does the same job, will cost you a one off £25 (and it acts as a car charger).

If you interested the TMC-RDS traffic receiver v2 is the cable I bought and works great with my Start 60!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 2 Jun 2012
Compared to my TomTom 1000 Live, Garmin 2545 and others, this is the best sat-nav out there - providing you don't need Live Services

It gives me all the features of my more expensive 1000 but with a screen that is better in the sun, and - with it's double resolution display and 6" size - miles better than anything else out on the market at the moment

Compared with Navigon or CoPilot on my Samsung Galaxy Note (5.3") the TomTom 60 wins hands down - better routing, easier mount, quicker set-up

Apart from a live version, I don't think there could be any better sat nav out there at the moment

Update 27-07-2012
Whilst everything above remains true, I find the GPS reception poor compared to the Go 1000 (at start-up, once found it's fine keeping hold of the signal), and missing the live services more than I thought I would

2.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Start 60 does not support favourites properly, 21 Nov 2012
It will not store any Favourites, nor will it store any user Points of Interest. (I can enter them, it says they are saved, but nothing shows up in the favourites list). This has been a problem since I first received the device. I've been getting by because the "Recent Destinations" list provides some of the same functionality, but this workaround is not at all satisfactory.
Following the (hard to follow, poorly written) instructions on the TomTom website I have done a soft reset, a factory reset, and a complete software reload. Nothing fixes it. The "MyTomTom" support software conceals all the details - at least with the old TomTomHome software you could see what was going on and take a stab at fixing any problems (not that there were any!)
Overall, I'm unimpressed with the software implentation, with the usability of the support software and with the quality of the documentation. And while I'm at it, I am critical of the menu system - there are some quite unintuitive features - I strongly suspect that TomTom didn't do any extensive user testing. However, as I said at the start - as a navigation device it is superb, great screen, very clear directions etc. it's just a shame they loused up the software so badly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 2 Nov 2012
J. R. Wiseman (Manchester / England) - See all my reviews
I've owned Tom Tom GPS's since they first came out and been across Europe with them without problem door to door! I've now updated to the latest 6" Start 60 and although I've not yet used it in Europe I'm very impressed. It's clearer, brighter and sharper than ever and the extra size and features are superb and so easy to use. Very difficult to go wrong with this one and I can find nothing to criticise about it, it's just dam good as anyone who buys one will find out. Tom Tom are with justification the undoubted leaders in their field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for city driving, 11 Nov 2012
C. Stevens "reluctant mower" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
I hesitated before buying this TomTom. I had researched sat navs on Which? and found that the TomTom's get the best ratings for guiding one through multiple junctions. But I was worried by the large number of adverse customer reviews of the Start 20 that are critical of the web support: they suggest it is problematic to obtain the free update to the latest map set and that customer support is slow.

I am glad that I stuck to my original intention and bought TomTom for the ease of navigating complex junctions. I have just used it to drive to UK from southern Spain via the city centres of Valencia and Paris. The advance lane advice is excellent. I am also glad that I bought the larger screen Start 60 which makes it very easy to see what is coming up. I will continue to use an old-fashioned map for most country journeys, but will now try always to use the Start 60 for a town that it is new to me.

I didn't experience any of the web support problems that have afflicted other purchasers. The new map set is A VERY BIG FILE which takes a long time to download, so a reasonably fast internet connection, a computer with adequate RAM and an up to date o/s is probably desirable. I did have one query (about removing French speed cameras from the map, where the online help is out-of-date) but customer service replied in less than 12 hours.

Gripes: the two most serious are that the speed limit information is sometimes wrong, and the pronunciation of place names is absurdly bad. I counted over half a dozen cases where TomTom said that the speed limit was higher than it was! So, this facility must not be relied upon - you need to keep using your eyes or risk a 'sat nav induced' speeding fine! I turned off the sat nav when we got back to UK so don't know how English place names are pronounced - but Spanish and French pronunciation was absolutely awful. So bad, in fact, that unless you know where it is you are going, you cannot always work it out from what is said. Which is ok when the word in question is the name of the town you are driving towards, but more of a problem when it is the name of the road you should be looking out for.

Other minor gripe is that the critics of the Start 20 were right about the documentation. What you get in the box is, literally, useless: if you are able to set up the sat nav with such limited info you probably don't need such limited written instructions. I was also disappointed that the on-line manual is too generic and in several cases provided information that was wrong for my model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the negatives!!, 9 Jan 2013
I bought this TomTom from another retailer at the weekend, having upgraded from a 4year old One v3 that I was finding just too small in a bigger car now. Having seen the 6" screen in the shops, it didn't strike me as being that much larger than the 5" version so thought I'd go for the larger option. I wasn't overly bothered about getting a live version following the inability to do a google search and the additional RDS receiver is always a consideration if I want live traffic updates. I decided to go to the "other" retailer because of a bundle including the TomTom 6" case for about £14 so represented a saving of £12.50 and no issues with registering for the lifetime map updates.

I connected it to my laptop and found my way to the MyTomTom website and ran the renowned updates with some hesitation and let the file download over approx. 45mins. Once downloaded, the installation process started and suggested it would be around 2 hours to install fully so I went and watched the football for half an hour before checking again and was surprised to find the installation had completed. Having read the various reviews about the time taken, the crashing, the failures, the jamming, etc. my initial thoughts were "what have I done wrong that mine has worked".

You're then asked to set your "home" location so I entered my postcode. Despite my estate having been built for more than 12years, my old TomTom always came up with a different street name (which doesn't exist here unless waaay before my time) so I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that it came up with the correct street name following the post code being entered. I then set up some favourites for family members (my Dad lives in N.Wales and I'm in Scotland) and various business offices I regularly have to travel to, again, without issue (which someone did comment on not being able to do). Not sure what I've done differently, if anything.

I had downloaded "BMW" colours and car icons for my old satnav through TomTom Home so had a look to see if I could do likewise for the new toy. It didn't seem like I could but a quick google search revealed a program that could be downloaded that transferred data from my old TomTom to the new one (though the Start 60 is not included in the list of compatible devices). I decided to give it a go and was pleasantly surprised to find all went smoothly so I could amend the standard map colours to the specialised BMW ones I had (which makes night colours the same as the 5-series dash black/orange/green).

So to using the device. There is a slight delay in the touchscreen response, which can be slightly frustrating if you're used to smartphone technology and are waiting to set off on your journey. However, it is only a very brief delay that is a minor gripe. On using it for work so far, the satellite signal has been found incredibly quickly, much much quicker than my old device did; even after the regular synching with the laptop to keep the repositioning up to date. I have immediately LOVED the lane guidance on motorways, which is an excellent feature if driving on unfamiliar territory where rush hour can rival Wacky Races. It's also a nice feature to have the street names mentioned when directions are spoken, though some of the Scottish street names aren't pronounced as correctly as perhaps locals would say! The arrival times suggested for my journeys have been very accurate, taking into account IQ for roads that regularly feature bottlenecks and so on. Coming home, it has tried to route me on main roads where I tend to nip in and out of short cuts but I'd never expect a standard satnav to do this anyway. If I'm in unfamiliar territory, I don't want to be taken shortcuts so I don't expect the device to do this near my home - unless after prelonged use it "remembers" the routes I take so time will tell.

Various styles of speed camera alerts do come up and you have the option of adding new ones if you come across one that appears to have been missed; though I haven't tried this yet.

Having attached the device to my windscreen, it is very big and has been a bit of a distraction for me because my previous version was only a square 3.5" screen. I've also moved this from being in the right hand corner of my screen to in the middle, which would be distracting for me even if the screen wasn't large because I've not been used to it there. As a workaround, I've recently attached it to the BMW screen in the dash that would normally house the inbuilt satnav and brings up the menu when using the i-drive system. Yes it's not ideal attaching to a TFT screen but it's worked and fills the gap very well. I lose the benefit of seeing that screen for other info but I won't use it all the time. Having attached it to this screen, it almost appears to be an inbuilt system. The screen is very bright and easy to read and view directions so I have been very happy with the use so far.

I've never owned a Garmin and had considered moving to them when renewing here but as my wife pointed out, I haven't had any bad experiences with the older version so why would I consider changing because of the questionable reviews that plague EVERY satnav?? Did I want to pay £150 all in, no probably not but I decided to go with this because of the "newer" technology in the 6" version compared to older live / via versions that were in the price range of £100-£150. Having now used, I have no hesitation in recommending this if you're in the market for a new device. I'd just want you to make sure your car isn't swamped by the 6" screen. Its big in my 5-series so would look oversized in a smaller hatchback for example. If you drive a smaller car, perhaps the 5" versions would be more suited, which is in no way derogatory to small car drivers, you just don't want to be distracted to the extent where safety is compromised.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a Start., 7 April 2014
This review is from: TomTom Start 60M 6" Sat Nav with UK & Ireland Maps & Lifetime Map Updates (Electronics)
Bought this as my original TomTom (3.5" screen) was packing up and I wanted actually to be able to SEE it while driving!
I agree with other reviews that you don't get much in the box these days. The Start60 (UK+ROI) arrived with: the satnav, a little sticky plastic disc for dash mounting (if you can get it to stick and if you want to clean the sticky afterwards!) a connecting cable and the car-charger. There is a semi-useless fold out set of instructions designed to suit 155 languages. That's all folks!
For those who think their old TT satnav cables might fit this model I can assure you they do not. The S60 has a different socket (micro USB) similar to mobile phones. However, the cable from your phone probably will not work as it requires a right-angle head to fit. The supplied cable is not the best quality and it took a while to find that on my unit the connector wasn't doing its thing properly. I would advise, once this is firmly seated in the unit, do not remove unless absolutely necessary.
Connecting to your pc might be a problem. On a laptop it would be fine, but the cable is a bit short, especially if your pc's USB ports are obscured. The satnav simply will not respond to the use of a USB extension cable and for updates etc MUST be plugged directly to your pc.

On setting up the unit will go straight to 'MyDrive', the latest incarnation of TT's interface. NOTE: This unit WILL NOT respond to the old TomTom Home setup - it has quite different software. Note also that when you have downloaded MyDrive it refuses to connect properly unless you make sure you allow this program through any firewalls on your system, otherwise it will fail.
The MyDrive interface is pretty simple and you don't get much bang for your buck, just a list of what's on your machine. For anything else click on 'MyTomTom' on the top-right of the screen.

As regards setting up in the vehicle: as mentioned the connecting cable is a bit short and on vehicles where the 12v socket is placed in the centre console and not on the dash (VW and variants etc) it might pay to use a USB extension cable. Note: the extension cable won't work for pc downloading etc but is fine just for supplying volts in your vehicle. The little car charger is a standard 12v/USB socket affair and does not appear any different from those readily available on the open market.

Preliminary tests:
I have yet to run this unit in anger on a long trip but have tested locally. The display is excellent and easily readable without having to squint at the screen. The unit is very accurate on placing - ie it shows a road junction at exactly the same time as you pass it - and updates very quickly if you decide to use a route it has not originally suggested. On start-up it finds a signal very quickly.
The voice is, however, fairly quiet, and even at 100% might be a problem if there is additional car noise. TT ought to sort this out pronto. Overall so far so good.

Likes: nice machine, easy to see, easy to set up with good screen interface.
Dislikes: short-ish power cable, no 240v charger, usual shoddy TT pc interface, fewer screen items (eg the old 'North' arrow was always useful but is not on this unit).

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear !!!, 3 Dec 2012
I drive about 35,000 miles a year and have always used Garmin. When my current one was 12 months old, it wanted more money throwing at it to keep things up to date. I decided to invest in one of the latest TomTom's, the Start 60 with the nice big screen and LIVE updates of Speed Cameras and Road changes etc.

Well, it supposedly comes with Speed Cameras pre-installed and they were. But as I was driving around, it kept on alerting me to cameras that weren't there or have never been there (not that I've seen on regular routes over the years). There were also loads missing, some had been Fixed in the same spot for over 6 years, very strange.

So I paid for a years subscription to the Speed Camera thing through TomTom and nope, still no difference.

Whenever I plug in my TomTom Start 60, it says there are updates to download (through my Windows 7 laptop that works fine on the website).

So I download updates, Map Changes and Speed Camera Updates at least 2 times a week. Still nothing! So all the cameras I ADD to say they are there as I'm driving still don't appear and the one's I say aren't there (literally in the middle of nowhere some of them) still keep popping up. This is after 3 months, what a joke!

Trust me, I'm amazed myself this thing hasn't gone out the window as I'm driving along.

Apart from the above, it has a lovely screen, charges quickly, is fairly easy to navigate through the menus and finds most places. It shows things like Petrol Garages as you are driving along but they can be nearly half a mile out on the map and silly things like that but overall, it usually gets you to your destination.

I deeply regret investing nearly £200 with this SatNav, Case & Beanbag Mount and should have just carried on with my trusty old Garmin.

If you want a simple navigation SatNav to get you from A to B, then this will do the job. But definately don't rely on most of the Speed Cameras being correct (I don't speed by the way, my car isn't quick enough and I'm too scrooge on the Petrol).

If you want something that works correctly out of the box, then have a serious think before buying this. Not sure if other TomToms are the same but I will never try another one to find out!

NOTES / REVISED

I have looked on lots of forums to see what others were saying about the problems, there is a solution. Do a full Power On / Off by holding in the Power button for more than 20 seconds (drum roll music when powering on) and it should use all the updates etc. Went up the road to 2 known Fixed Camera locations, been there for over 6 years, not showing up before reset but are now, wahay, we will see what others show up now! So 4 stars instead of 2...!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuck on the Start Screen .....!, 10 Dec 2013
I bought a Sat Nav Start 60 approx 4 months ago and loved it. I find it easy and quick to use and aside from alerting me to speed cameras which have never existed, I am (was) really really happy with it.
However, after switching this off for a two week period (while I was out of the country)I plugged it in to start it up and it stuck on the start screen. No matter what I do, I cannot get beyond the start up screen (the image of the car and the blurred streets) yet I can hear the sat nav is still working behind this screen eg if I drive with it stuck on this screen I can still hear the speeding alerts / speed camera alerts etc. I didn't buy this item from Amazon so my criticisms aren't with Amazon and the company I did buy it from arent being particularly helpful. (thats another matter) but I am extremely disappointed that having researched this product it seems to be quite a regular fault with the Tom Tom Start 60.

So after 4 months my Tom Tom is useless, I have tried re-starting / re-booting / re-installing all to no avail and I am back to using the free Sat Nav app on my phone instead.