5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!
Published on 16 Oct. 2012 by Russell

1.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Published 1 month ago by nununoggin

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
This is my second TomTom, my first was a GO700 which is still going well after 8 years. I changed because I fancied a large screen and the new features. I deleted my old TomTom Home2 site on my computer completely and installed the new one for the Start called 'MyTomTom' which is a free download on the TomTom main site page 'Getting Started'. I would advise you to do the same to avoid any problems if you have a previous TomTom.

My Sat Nav was up to date straight out of the box but I connected it up and it updated the traffic cameras and some shared map info with no problems. You can check if yours is up to date by going to 'settings',then 'me and my device', then 'about my device'. At the time of writing an up Sat Nav will read on the second line (App 12.045.1067676.84 (0) 2041, 19/9/2012 [the date I did it, yours will have a different date of course] OS 1017068. Be warned this is not a fast process even with a Broadband connection!

I really like the 5" screen it's bright and clear and the voice is clear and very loud. The new holder remains with the Sat Nav when you remove it from the windscreen and folds flat - which is a very good idea. If you did have any problems with it, it can be easily removed and cheaply replaced. Putting it on a windscreen and removing it is simplicity itself. Having spoken road names is great and you are sometimes surprised by the fact that you never really knew the name of a road you travelled on for years! Not all the voices work with spoken road names you must choose one that says it speaks street names of which there is only one English one on my Sat Nav (Serena). I found it picks up the satellites very quickly and the speed at which it processes routes is very very good. All the new features are really good and worth having and the Points of Interest are amazing - they even give you the telephone numbers so that you can call to book a table or to check if an item is in stock etc. I was originally frustrated by the fact that it didn't have a battery indicator, so I couldn't tell if it needed to be charged or if it was fully charged, but one suddenly appeared! I don't know whether it came with a download/update or whether it needed a good charge first before it appeared but it's there now - hoorah! I found that the home charger for my Blackberry phone which has a micro connection charges it up perfectly or it can be charged by your computer with the lead supplied in the box.

All in all this is a really excellent Sat Nav and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have no hesitation in recommending it to all those who don't need to use it as a phone; don't want the Live Link traffic updates and get frustrated by voice recognition systems that don't recognise what you say.

1.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY AVOID AT ALL COSTS, 15 Dec. 2014
I don't know if I have ever written a review before but I am at a loss as to what else to do. Apparently, I am past my return date, but having only had cause to use this three times since I bought it, and wishing to persevere when it did not at first work intuitively, I feel this is somewhat unfair. It was a sizeable outlay for a piece of plastic that is about as efficient at telling you how to get from A to B as a Toby Truck. I can't afford to spend £90 on something that basically does not work! The thing can barely find GPS signal even when my ohone has it. When it does it gets into an insistent loop of making me try to start every journey from home no matter where I am. No matter how many times you try to clear the route and re-enter it takes you in the most infuriating loop and ignores all alternative commands. GRRRRRR! I am no technophobe, I am proficient with ICT. This thing is simply not working properly. Also, it cannot detect key input correctly, and when it does, just guesses completely at what you intended to press, so I'm looking for a BS postcode and it's giving me somewhere beginning with H! ARRRGGGGHH!!!!! it is painful. I use my phone and put up with the mobile data charges rather than use this.
I usually ignore the negative reviews, as there's always a negative Nancy somewhere on Amazon, but please please heed all the warnings and avoid buying this useless product at all costs. I am now stuck unable to return a piece of useless cr.. Depressing to say the least. Amazon, if you are reading, please contact me as this seems eminently unfair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start well with Tom Tom, 9 Sept. 2011
Bought for my wife who is technophobic! This Tom Tom is intuitive and very easy to use and my wife has operated it without difficulty over 1500 miles in France this summer without having to look at an instruction manual. She does not use motorways or the major national routes and the Tom Tom has navigated her perfectly through the minor scenic routes that she prefers. It has several features that are excellent, the screen rotates so that the image and instructions are always the right way up, voice prompts are unambiguaous and detailed and the screem itself is very clear. The power cable is good with a usb charger built in and the same cable can be used to connect to your PC for updating maps and speed camera locations. A good product that works well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 M Sat Nav with WE Maps & Lifetime Map Updates (Electronics)
This is my 3rd TomTom and I've beeen very happy with the previous models. I mainly bought it for the free European map updates as they are very expensive to buy. Apart from the free map updates its good points are the large clear screen and clear spoken directions including street names. The bad poins are:
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously long time to find satelites after boot-up. In the half dozen times I've used it the time to find a salellite has typically been 10 minutes and on one occasion it was closer to 20 minutes. I do have a heated front windscreen which could potentially interfere with the signal but my previous two TomToms have had no problem whatever finding a satellite in 20 seconds or so with the same windscreen and the units positioned in the same place. Also once it has foumd a satellite it works fine and doesn't lose satellite contact.
- The mount is very inferiour to my last TomTom. It doesn't detach from the main unit so the suction cup can't be left in place when the unit is detached. This for me is a major deficiency as I like to remove it from sight when I park in a public place and its a lot of fiddling to remove the suction cup and then reattach it. I suggest you only buy this model if you're happy to leave it in place all the time.
- The screen sensitivity isn't quite as good as previous units using a finger though its fine with a stylus.
- People have mentioned the long time to update maps. Whilst it took about 90 minutes it was fairly straighforward. However, the one-time free update to the speed cameras doesn't seem to have been offered as it said 'camera updates expired' and at the end of the map updates the speed camera database was still about 6 months old. It was bought new from a major supplier and in a sealed box so I think the camera update should have been available.

I've had it about 2 weeks and am undecided whether I should return it for a different make or model or just try a replacement initially to see if the time to find a salellite is better though the poor mount would still be an issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars buy with care, 18 Aug. 2013
If you can keep it working then it works fine as a sat nav and is as accurate as any I have used. The plus points would be the lane tips and the graphics.

however Tom Tom has a few problems. firstly mine stopped being able to find GPS satellites. The update for that seemed to work ok. However the latest updates were a nightmare. Finally managed to get the updates installed but in doing so the application wiped the maps so now I am left with an updated sat nav that does not contain any maps. The support and software updates make this not worth the money in my opinion. Works fine until you need to update the device software and GPS fix software. Then it starts to go horribly wrong.

buy one with knowledge that after a period of time it will be easier to buy another one rather than update it. Lifetime map updates guarantee is something that sounds great but you will spend many hours cursing your PC to get it working

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little SatNav, 14 Oct. 2014
I read all sorts of woes about this model but its great:

* Very quick to start up
* Quick to find satellites
* I like the new Motorway lane guidance
* The mounting is superb
* It is thin and light enough to go into my pocket
* Updating the maps is easy although, inevitably, a 3GB download takes a while: 2 1/2 hours in my case

The only issue I had was that it wouldn't connect via MyDrive. I phoned TomTom and they could not have been more helpful - apparently I had to de-register my old TomTom Go 700 before the new one would connect.
As many others have noted, phoning is much better than the website support which I found largely incomprehensible !

2.0 out of 5 stars clear guidance, but has glitches and bugs., 8 Jun. 2012
Owned this sat nav for nearly a year now - was thinking about getting a garmin instead and now wish I had! This sat nav has all sorts of issues - look at TomTom's forum if you don't believe me. The Start 25 I have doesn't pick up a satellite signal for ages (if at all) repeatedly have to update the application software in a vain attempt to resolve problems - and finally, the battery has a very short life before it needs recharging - inevitable with such a large colour screen I suppose. I do like the clarity of the image (when it does work) and the guidance is clear.
Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't buy this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Speed Cameras NOT included, 28 May 2013
Happy with the Start 25, spec and price.

However, 3 or 4 days after receiving delivery, I get a message from TomTom stating that my subscription to Speed Cameras ends today, and I need to pay another £19.99 to get the updates!

Also, you cannot back up this device. TomTom have disable the 'Tomtom home' software on it. You can only use 'My TomTom' website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly worried, 21 Jun. 2012
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
I needed a new Satnav as my old one was very ancient, a bit battered and I hadn't updated the maps for seven years! It was a basic Tom Tom One but I liked it very much, especially the ability to re-route if you encounter a hold up. I asked for a new one for my birthday and got this, and was somewhat worried about it on reading the Amazon reviews - would it get a GPS signal, would it charge, would it still have the software that allowed re-routing? Well, so far I'm very satisfied as it does all of those things, plus I now have up-to-date maps and a nice non-chunky wide-screen satnav.

Other positives after a two-week trial: the lane advice is nice; I like the spoken directions telling you the name/no of the road you are joining and the direction of travel; it fits nicely onto the windscreen without leaving much of a mark, and it beeps at you when a "safety" camera is near. Not 5 stars because there is a bit of meanness evident by Tom Tom not including a case, but I bought a nice pencil-case from W H Smith that fits it for about three quid!

Slight confusion around Tom Tom Home v My Tom Tom (its the latter you have to use). Make sure you do the mandatory software update before you use it. My car is a Seat Leon - don't know if that's important.

So far, so pleased. Will update if things change...

1.0 out of 5 stars not loud enough, 3 Aug. 2013
Not loud enough I contacted tomtom support team and was told that they were aware of low volume on their start series sat nav.They are trying to find a solution to this.